Mike's modified airbox experiment - cold airtastic!

It doesn't strike me as being that different to OEM - just no airbox. I could semi replicate that with a chopped down box, a filter and some pipework

So, IF their figures are true, is the box itself the problem?

Oh, I could spend some money on here - carbon roof you say!!!

http://www.clior20.nl/options/

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but id be suprised if that made the gains claimed.

The obvious pro for that set-up is the cold air supplyfrom the front grill.
However its wasted as the filter isnt enclosed and still drawing ambient under-bonnet air. Also from a testing point of view, its very difficult to replicate 70, 80, 90mph driving conditions on a rolling road, conditions which are required for such a design to yield any theoretical benefit. So I'd be interested to see how they had sucha gain on a rolling road.

Thats my view anyway....

No, that's insane money. Pointless money... dare I say it they've bent their figures to justify it?

Thing is people can be daft, they spend a lot of money on something and then convince themselves that it was the right decision. They must be laughing them out of the door.

Last edited:
Induction design is something I know a little about but there's more than one way to skin a cat and I wouldn't go calling their figures BS without allowing them a chance to respond to any criticisms.

That said, the actual intake from the filter back looks very poor and goes against most induction design principles. First off it doesn't look like the 90 degree bend or the ajoining hose is doing anything to aid airflow; it's not smooth or the path of least resistance. Instead it looks to me like it'll create turbelance.

Guy Croft and David Vizzard's literature are worth reading if you want to learn more about intake/exhaust.

10-12bhp ATF gains from the 1.8 16v Fiat/Alfa engines can be achieved with a decent induction so it's not that inconceiveable that 14-15bhp ATF is possible from a larger displacement 2.0 16v. It all depends on how the rest of the setup responds (e.g., is there a weak link further down the system?) and how bad the standard intake is.

I never said it was BS, or certainly didn't intend it to read that way, so I've tweaked above to ensure no confusion... but it isn't inconceivable for people to fudge figures.

I agree too, I'm no expert, but it doesn't look 'right' does it?

Is there any independent testing from the Netherlands to support it?

Last edited:
For the £800 you would spend on an air filter, wouldn't you rather spend that on fast road cam shafts then £400 extra on a live map would see you guaranteed gains of 15 to 20 hp ( average )?

I think the standard airbox is near or at it's limit.

Look at the R3 the 230bhp version has the PH2 V6 airbox and the 250bhp version has the one pictured from puzzlecarbono.

If the standard airbox was up to the job of providing air for that kind of power RenaultSport wouldn't have bothered using/designing a different set-up.

That said I'm all for people doing different things as the tuning/aftermarket side of these engines is very minimal.

I think alot of the madeno racing setup cost is in the carbon pipe. He told me it alone takes 6 hours to hand make and looks amazing in person, single piece genuine carbon fibre.

Certainly looks the part!

okay maybe its not "staged" like the chavmobile courtney sport etc etc but its very tunable. u want to do something to it.. . . . . you can easily source parts.

What terminology would you use to describe different states of tune ?

Or are states only for Countries :lol:

"stages" are a very chavvy / noobish term generally used by people who read max power on a daily basis but actually drive their mothers rover 25 with lex arse lights, rip speed alloys and a k and n air filter.

okay maybe its not "staged" like the chavmobile courtney sport etc etc but its very tunable. u want to do something to it.. . . . . you can easily source parts.

Thats the thing though, theres obviously lots of F4R part available for tuning but they are mainly used on competition cars which will never make it to internet forums.

My point was theres no real tried and tested route to go down. Look at Kevo's old car the engine work was experimental because of this and after a lot of different routes he ended up with 205bhp

A fair bit off topic now :lol:

"stages" are a very chavvy / noobish term generally used by people who read max power on a daily basis but actually drive their mothers rover 25 with lex arse lights, rip speed alloys and a k and n air filter.

Thats a good answer to a different question :whatever: :001_rolleyes:

Same here mate no supercharger = 200 hp and thats about 8k lol for 23 or something similar horsepower......... The sound is worth it thgh lol