LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Cheers Chris, yeah should be good. Got the pricing back from Ashford and happy with everything, really comprehensive bom and spec sheet so going to go for the complete build by them. I'll give them a call Monday morning and see about dropping everything off asap and make a start hopefully!
I want to be able to get a track day in somewhere in the UK end of July as a shakedown ahead of hopefully taking it out to Spa for the F1 and doing a track day on route at another Belgium track. Should still be achievable!

Cheers Chris, yeah should be good. Got the pricing back from Ashford and happy with everything, really comprehensive bom and spec sheet so going to go for the complete build by them. I'll give them a call Monday morning and see about dropping everything off asap and make a start hopefully!
I want to be able to get a track day in somewhere in the UK end of July as a shakedown ahead of hopefully taking it out to Spa for the F1 and doing a track day on route at another Belgium track. Should still be achievable!

good news Rich, wonder if yours is done before the one im waiting for!!!!

So whats the spec being built by Ashfords?

Yeah hope so!!

Basically a copy of their 250-260bhp race spec engines, only a milder port on the head. Should be 240bhp or thereabouts for the head flow.

Bottom end will be mostly the race spec too, custom 83mm pistons (race using 84mm) which have the correct crown, valve relief's and squish bands etc for an 830 engine, King trimetal tagged race bearings, existing Arrow rods (glad I paid extra for those now!), new OE oil pump in case it ingested any metal from the old pistons and finally re-use my TTV steel flywheel to complete the bottom.
The top end will be the ported head, custom Eibach valve springs, re-use 403 cams and lifters, stock inlet manifold (slight port match on it by PMS but you can barley tell tbh).

Be happy to hit 220bhp, just not sure on the cams as we know they are very mild. Part of me wants to swap them straight away, but it's just too much money. Custom billet cams, 2 x pulleys for VVT delete etc will be around £1500, plus I don't imagine those cams will be too happy on the stock inlet, so factor another £1500 for bodies.

Last edited:
Cheers and yes actually the Catcams valve springs will be for sale! :smile: Think they're about £150 new, but not selling and pricing anything until everything is finished! I'll give you first refusal when I do.

Not sure but yeah me too! I will ring them tomorrow and find out, I know when I spoke to them last they said 2-3 weeks on the head work, so hoping it'll roughly that ballpark but depends if they can start it soon or not. Ideally they can and I can drive all the parts to them on Wed's this week.

Christ yeah, it's been a flipping age now really! It died on a track day at the end of Feb, so what's that now - 3 1/2 months!! Hopefully then with things progressing it'll be a total of 4ish months, and hence why I couldn't do the Honda as that would be a realistic 2-3months for completion. If I hadn't have lost those 2+months waiting with nothing happening it would have be doable.

Last year I think it felt off the road more than on, or at least never fighting fit for the track. Combination on never running right on the OEM ECU and the gearbox lunching itself :blush: So touch wood I can have a decent 2nd half of the year.

Now a competition car and rich wanted this thread deleted to Avoid possible competiton seeing this thread. Should any mod wonder why it's deleted.

Last edited:
Will clean this first post up later, graph for now:
IMAG0732-768x570.jpg

-------------
Busy week collecting and delivering but progress has been made, currently at the mappers so by the end of the week should finally be back in it driving :blush:

Some pics of the build...
DSC00334.jpg DSC00337.jpg

DSC00329.jpg DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg DSC00332.jpg

DSC00333.jpg DSC00335.jpg

(Spare pulleys for DTI'ing the cams, also the tensioner is now in the correct place for final timing with correct pulleys)
DSC00336.jpg

Got the call to say complete so hired a van and collected the engine and bits...
IMAG0712-768x570.jpg IMAG0713-768x570.jpg

Which was then promptly installed by Tech 1...
fitted-750x410.jpg

And lastly another (big!) van hired for taking it off for mapping...
IMAG0721-750x410.jpg IMAG0720-750x410.jpg
IMAG0719-750x410.jpg

Should be able to at long last get a bunch of track days in before now and the end of the year.

Last edited:
Nice one rich!!

What figures at the end of it then or you keeping that one quiet? :wink:

Depends what it makes!! :wink: But it's only going to be this spec for a few months before some more changes anyway. I should think ~215bhp again, maybe 220bhp as it has a bunch more airflow through the head, but I retained the old cams so it is not going to be vastly different. Once again it'll still be quite a knock limited engine on these cams with pump fuel because the dynamic CR is going to be higher than ideal, big cams with lots of overlap will fix that though.
I've taken a deposit on the K20 now and the brand new oem block/pistons I bought (which were going to be used before I decided to forge again) have a confirmed buyer - so the ITB fund is covered which is the first change to make and I want doing asap. Once it's on ITBs this of course in turn allows me to run the sort of cams the rest of the spec deserves, currently trying to decide which set but I think this will be a winter change so bit of time to decide. Whilst most of the details on the spec and cams I won't be revealing, suffice to say compared to the last build it's pretty next level! So many changes and further uprated parts gone in this time, other than the crank there can't be much standard once the inlet goes!

@jacool - The car is currently with a few sets of Clio and Meg injectors and they have an injector machine there, so will hopefully get done this coming week.
@foxspeed - gotta stick N/A :thumbsup:, the 200 is probably the last proper hot hatch with an N/A engine really and needs to be celebrated not replaced IMO. I understand if you pop your N/A engine why people would do it, but the current trend and adoption to sticking boost in these is a little odd to me... Just buy a Meg in the first place :\

@jacool - The car is currently with a few sets of Clio and Meg injectors and they have an injector machine there, so will hopefully get done this coming week.
@foxspeed - gotta stick N/A :thumbsup:, the 200 is probably the last proper hot hatch with an N/A engine really and needs to be celebrated not replaced IMO. I understand if you pop your N/A engine why people would do it, but the current trend and adoption to sticking boost in these is a little odd to me... Just buy a Meg in the first place :\

have to agree there!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0