LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Were you not the guy who was wanting to save some money and just enjoy the car?

well yeah!! and I still stand by that, kind of! :lol:

It's just the stock ECU is struggling with the amount of deviation from stock, overlap from the cams being the main issue and just compounded with the higher comp and manifold etc. I am having an issue during steady state part throttle where the power dips away. It's a bit frustrating and so sticking it on standalone would be mainly for driveability reasons. At WOT the car is fine so I wouldn't expect any more power.

It'll be about £1500 for a standalone, just checking we can do P'n'P and full canbus integration etc to run the stock dash - otherwise I'll investigate other solutions. Regards power though it does give me a convenient opportunity to try a new centre system (probably Akrapovic) to see if the missing bhp can be found. This was the bhp that went 'missing' from when I cut up the current system for a silencer and lost 10bhp. Of course the fact it opens the door for ITB's has nothing to do with it :wink:

I am drawing the line at changing the cams though, because it means opening the engine and re-timing, which I've spent a fortune on already with labour. Plus it wouldn't be worth me changing cams unless it was for a solid lifter top end etc. Sure Schricks or 404's would be a better choice than the 403's (I think 403's are a bit **** in hindsight), but I don't think they would be worth the cost in doing so.

I would Supercharge it if I were you.
You'll keep the N/A nature of the car and get a lot more bhp than you have now.

I see that money is not a problem. :wink:

Good luck with it mate! Big contrast vs selling it though :smiley:

haha, yes I can be quite impulsive! But it's sounding so good and on full chat goes well enough. I had real concerns before that the engine build might have been **** when prior to having it tuned properly at RST the most I saw on the dyno was 2bhp more than I started with!

I would Supercharge it if I were you.
You'll keep the N/A nature of the car and get a lot more bhp than you have now.

I see that money is not a problem. :wink:

I'm not sure about running boost with a 12.5:1 CR, I think it is asking for trouble really. Also to supercharge would take a lot of money which I wouldn't be prepaired to spend. I don't really want to spend anymore on it at all, but if it needs an ECU to run completely properly well it's kind of tough **** and I'll just have to take the cost on the chin.
Any talk of ITB's are just a pipe dream for this year at least. - I need to see how your inlet does first anyway :smile:

So ecu and akra being 2.5k, ouch.

Yeah I'm wondering if I can just get the system part for a lot less? There is a £196 price difference between the Slip-on and Evo system at Ktec. So my man maths tells me I should be able to get the system for £196?? Trouble is I'd need to be dead certain of getting somewhere to mate the Akra system to my Supersprint without causing a problem - the silencer I had installed has a reduction in bore size right before the box (idiots!) - hence why I think my current system is **** and the 10bhp went back to France..!

Well that does make sence, but can't see k-tec helping you do that! Perhaps you could contact akra directly?

Why on earth would they reduce that half way through the system? Bound to cause back pressure.

I'm not sure about running boost with a 12.5:1 CR, I think it is asking for trouble really. Also to supercharge would take a lot of money which I wouldn't be prepaired to spend. I don't really want to spend anymore on it at all, but if it needs an ECU to run completely properly well it's kind of tough **** and I'll just have to take the cost on the chin.
Any talk of ITB's are just a pipe dream for this year at least. - I need to see how your inlet does first anyway :smile:

That's true, I forgot you have high comp pistons.
However, I'm sad to see your struggle with the bhp and £.
It reminds me of my problems that I had with the cams and the 2 blown engines. :worried:

Concerning the intake - I'm so neck deep in work that I/we haven't touched the inlet.
Seems like I'm going to miss out having the inlet on all three street/drag events this May. I'm a bit frustrated by that but on the other hand, someone has to earn €/£ for the parts. :smiley:

Current "progress" :smiley::

IMG-20150418-WA0012.jpg

Last edited:
Well that does make sence, but can't see k-tec helping you do that! Perhaps you could contact akra directly?

Why on earth would they reduce that half way through the system? Bound to cause back pressure.

Yeah it's poor really, the guy at the time told me he kept the bore size the same but it's not. I appreciate that it's a slip on joint so one piece has to be flared to accept the other half - however this is noticebly more than that! I guess that's the trouble sometimes with custom bits :worried:

The lower RR graph was when I had the centre silencer installed. Also had the sports cat replaced with a decat (which should improve peek by a couple). Net result was -10bhp! So I am very eager to see if a proper centre can go back to giving me the original power, and of course extrapolated ontop of my new 215bhp, should put me about bang on my expectations for these cams really.
IMAG0317-750x410.jpg

Last edited:
Raptor, inlet's looking great mate, got any trumpets yet for it?
Not yet, that's where I'm stuck.

Need to make the trumpets, cut the holes in the plenum, buy a cone filter, and give it a nice finish (the carbon and the aluminium parts too) because this is just for testing/fitting purposes. Looks ugly and unfinished to me. :wink:

It's just sooooooo much hours and € already.

Friends that are helping me have their cars to work on now because race season has started.

I know it's nice to retain the OE lower inlet, but I wonder if I might be easier to use 4 mandrel bends and 'squash' the head facing side to match the oval ports??

My inlets are already matched/ported and this new inlet is made to suit the lower inlet.

Best solution would be to make them both but for now I just want to see what are and if there are any gains.

The problem with the lower inlet is the fuel rail/injetors holder and holes.

Interesting ITB setup.

6qfek7.jpg

Just sent an enquiry over to LRM in Italy who seem to support the Clio Cup Racer engines out there, I assume from the stickers they built the kit???
Still not sorted an ECU yet so not an option for now anyway, but much want!!

Does anyone know if any of that plastic slam panel **** is structural - I assume not and is just used for headlights, bonnet catch, radiator support etc ??

Very interesting. I've been talking to a cheap on eBay. He does throttle bodies using bike carbs. Uses the motec 600 ecu tho.

I'll put prices and specs up when I get back to the house.

If it's Danst on eBay or something like that, they look poor. You really don't want to be using silicone for connecting bike bodies. It's the lazy way of doing it because they arn't flanged but you'll find unless they are properly hard mounted the balancing tends to drift quite quickly. Also unless you modify the quadrant the throttle will be snatchy.

I've mostly planned a nice ITB setup now, with body sizes etc just needing the ECU sorting and of course new exhaust system still.

If it's Danst on eBay or something like that, they look poor. You really don't want to be using silicone for connecting bike bodies. It's the lazy way of doing it because they arn't flanged but you'll find unless they are properly hard mounted the balancing tends to drift quite quickly. Also unless you modify the quadrant the throttle will be snatchy.

I've mostly planned a nice ITB setup now, with body sizes etc just needing the ECU sorting and of course new exhaust system still.

Yeah, that was the lad I was talking to. Danst engineering it was.

Exhaust...I'm going out to the garage right now and take pics of what I have on mine for you...I keep on forgetting...must be getting old..lol

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0