Lewis's RB Clio 197

Still don't know what's wrong with the car at the moment, looking at trailer costs to get it somewhere like beaniesports for Chris to give it a once over. Losing faith with the car to be honest.

I ruled out a bad earth, fuses are fine, changed the relay, the main wire to the starter gets 12v, the exciter wire in the upc gets 12v, but the exciter wire on the starter gets less than 1v. And there doesn't seem to be any continuity when tested with a multimeter.

However, I did take the opportunity today to drop the old coolant and put fresh in, seeing as though I had the day off.

Seriously am considering fixing and selling at the moment but I'm trying to talk myself out of it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beany
I'm looking into it at the moment.

It just really annoys me that I spend so long making everything 100% and then it does on me before I get to do a track day! [emoji23] I only had today off to do Abingdon, but obviously my car had other plans

Tried running a wire direct from the battery to the starter today to give it a direct 12v and it didn't crank so I'm pretty sure the starter has died anyways

Rad support has the legs off now and I've given it one last coat of hammerite tonight just to be safe! Looks so much better and it weighs a considerable amount less. It's a really noticeable difference in weight. If you've got an all out track car and you're after extreme weight loss I'd say get that done!

c3cdaef0a07c8f3d7d08f54e3c4c04b5.jpg

Suppose the next step is to get a starter and replace, to see if that solves the issue

Reactions: j!mbob
At least Renault designed the car to make the starter easily accessible......... Oh wait :expressionless:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]! Tell me about it! Crammed between the manifold and engine block under a heat shield is a fantastic idea. Not to forget the fact you're buried in a wheel arch

Tried running a wire direct from the battery to the starter today to give it a direct 12v and it didn't crank so I'm pretty sure the starter has died anyways

Rad support has the legs off now and I've given it one last coat of hammerite tonight just to be safe! Looks so much better and it weighs a considerable amount less. It's a really noticeable difference in weight. If you've got an all out track car and you're after extreme weight loss I'd say get that done!

View attachment 137633

Suppose the next step is to get a starter and replace, to see if that solves the issue

Looks good! Did you cut the legs of flush and weld up the holes? or does it not leave any holes behind?

:smile:

Reactions: lewishunter98
Have you tried the starter fuse just behind the headlight? Bit of a pig to get to?

Also putting a screwdriver across the two poles of the solenoid? This will bypass the solenoid.

Have you tried the starter fuse just behind the headlight? Bit of a pig to get to?

Also putting a screwdriver across the two poles of the solenoid? This will bypass the solenoid.
Yeah that fuse is okay mate. Even tested the continuity of it just to be sure!

I was going to try that but I just put a piece of wire between the battery and the starter to give it a direct 12v bypassing all of the other wiring etc and it still wouldn't crank

Update:

Cars back! Ended up sending it to Beaniesport as I had given up with it. I had tried everything and it actually turned out to be an earth problem, even though I thought I'd ruled out an earth, several times! Either way, highly recommend getting in touch with him for any bits needed, Chris really really knows his stuff.

While it was off the road, I changed the manifold to a predator one as I found it at a good price! Put fresh coolant in (which beanie bled for me) Oil & change, rad support chopped and painted, airbag light coded out, new gearbox mount.

So I collected the car yesterday and went for a good Sunday morning blast today. The car feels absolutely amazing. It really is so impressive, the quaife is something else and inspires so much confidence in the bends. And the noise from the exhaust now truly is incredible! I'm slightly concerned about track noise limits now but it's nothing I won't be able to sort with a bung/secondary cat

5c86dc9945794ea1b6be368386f51352.jpg

ba08d1b62cf11c3a86d5d501f98b89e1.jpg

Good to hear. How's the predator manifold compared to the original?

I recently fitted a decat exhaust and saw that the manifold will need doing at some point, just a bit concerned it'll drone, be too loud for track days and gain a flat spot without the precat.

Good to hear. How's the predator manifold compared to the original?

I recently fitted a decat exhaust and saw that the manifold will need doing at some point, just a bit concerned it'll drone, be too loud for track days and gain a flat spot without the precat.
It's a fair bit louder on accelerating, but idle noise/cruising it's actually no different which I found quite strange.

It feels smoother if anything though, on the drive yesterday I didn't notice the flatspot once!

I'm the same with noise limits but luckily the oreca comes with a bung, and worst case I'll chuck in a secondary cat to quieten it down a bit

I was quite happy with the condition of my manifold though, the previous owner did say he had the flexis replaced before I bought it but I was always a bit sceptical. 6629d9d6718cc820b643078bab886d30.jpg

I'd say that's definitely had the flexis replaced.

Is your Oreca system decat? If so, I take it with the predator manifold you now have a warning light with no cats?
There shouldn’t be a warning light as such to say the cats have been removed..
If anything it may flash up that it’s running to rich for example on the lamba