Jimmy's Deep Black R27 no.243 - Goodbye kid, it's been a blast.

Update re the blow on the exhaust.

I took her back to the MOT test centre today to clarify where exactly the blow was coming from. They put it up on the ramp and showed me....turns out it's the engine-end join to the middle silencer. Its basically just corroded where it was welded up before (as I suspected).

Massive relief that it wasn't from the mani/flexis! The tech offered to put some paste on, which has sealed it up for now and stopped the blowing. It will need properly repairing at some point in the future as the paste will only last so long. So...

1. Aftermarket cat-back system (Scorpion res)
2. Proper weld job on the existing system
3. Replace that section of exhaust with a standard item (second hand, as a new original from Renault will be extortionate I imagine!)

Choices, choices....:001_rolleyes:

Somewhat good news Jimmy:

No point repairing or spending money on failing mild system depending on how long you might keep the car.

Put it towards a nicer sounding fit and forget stainless system. Even if its second-hand.

Yeah I agree with you Syer, an aftermarket one is the best option really. I had considered one not so long ago, but couldn't really justify it. It kinda makes sense now though!

Yeah I agree with you Syer, an aftermarket one is the best option really. I had considered one not so long ago, but couldn't really justify it. It kinda makes sense now though!

Used ones often pop-up for sale (Here, ebay, gumtree, Clio Sport Group on Facebook)). Often from guys who want to put cars back to standard to sell. Scorpion non-res can often be had for £200 - £250.

Be patient.......... :smile:

Used ones often pop-up for sale (Here, ebay, gumtree, Clio Sport Group on Facebook)). Often from guys who want to put cars back to standard to sell. Scorpion non-res can often be had for £200 - £250.

Be patient.......... :smile:

Yeah I'll be having my eyes peeled from now on. I'm not on FB, but if you do spot anything on the CS Group it'd be great to get a heads up :smile:

Patience, for sure. I'm in no rush as it's no longer blowing, so I'll hold out for a good one :smile:

My 197 blew in the same place! Then about a month later on the flanges on the manifold! Then a month later than that, the manifold flexis. So hopefully you won't follow suit!

I ended up with a scorpion res in the end :wink:

Yeah Jimmy just scour eBay etc I got my non res
for £220 inc decat just be patient and one will come along!

Hopefully it won't start failing all over the place! I had a look down through the engine bay at the flexis and they 'seemed' to look in decent nick.... I know you can never count your chickens with these cars though :glare:

I keep checking on ebay but there isn't anything at the moment. There is the option of a custom stainless system from a place in Leeds who have a very good reputation (Tony Banks if you've heard of them Beany). It may work out similar in price to a brand new Scorpion, however without the brand name attachment.

I am being patient though and not rushing into anything :smile:

"Patient" and "I keep checking on ebay but there isn't anything at the moment" you say. Not to mention your now considering custom-made jobbies.

This after just 1 day.

:d:lol2::clap::jase::thumbsup:

"Patient" and "I keep checking on ebay but there isn't anything at the moment" you say. Not to mention your now considering custom-made jobbies.

This after just 1 day.

:d:lol2::clap::jase::thumbsup:

haha well what can I say...perhaps my definition of patience is a little different to the norm :lol::bounce:

A custom system may be the way to go if there's nothing decent on eBay..they do sound awesome from what I can gather..either way you will love it..I get thumbs/sticks up everywhere I drive here in Czech..depends on where I drive

Id go for tried and tested systems rather than a custom system (unless said custom system was from a very reputable place, but usually they are well over budget!)

Yeah my first preference would be a Scorpion/Ktec as I've personally heard them and also know they have a good rep... This Tony Banks place is very well regarded though in Leeds and have been going a long time...

At least I have choices :smiley:

Small and unexpected update.

I gave her a good clean yesterday morning, which was well overdue. Came out to it later on only to notice the rear ns tyre was flat :angry: turns out there was a nail right in the middle of the tread. I could hear the air hissing out....

Thankfully both rears were nearly done - I had swapped the fronts and rears just before the Scotland 500 trip and there was now under 2mm left on each back tyre. So although it was a little earlier than planned, I decided to have two new Eagle F1 Asy 3s fitted :thumbsup: I've got Asy 2s on the front, but my local tyre place could only get the 3s. I was happy with that as they got it all sorted within 24 hours.

****ing nails.

Swap fronts for rears Jimmy ?

Ive never believed in that new rubber on the back on a FWD theory....

Yeah, that's a good idea actually Shuv, I hadn't thought of that tbh...makes perfect sense and I'm disappointed in myself that I hadn't thought of it by now :smiley:

Good job Jimmy before the winter sets..I would put the new rubber on front too though..

Last edited: