Jimmy's Deep Black R27 no.243 - Goodbye kid, it's been a blast.

thats it Jimmy...you should be ok now..lots of parts have been replaced now..hope you dont have to spend any more money on repairs..

I've just noticed the seal on my passenger door is split but when had a better look at it, it does seem as though someone has cut through it. Might be being a bit dramatic but do you think that's an attempt at breaking in?

It could be Shelly, however it does seem an odd way to try and get in... But you never know with these little scrotes :blink:

My old ones had completely fallen to bits, so there's a chance it could just be that it's split with age.

A small update. Had the car in the garage yesterday to investigate a rattle through the steering that was happening on left turns, but only on rough ground/bumps etc. Mechanic said it was very intermittent on his test drive and his inspection suggests it could be the tie rod end. He recommended leaving it for the time being as it was too minor an issue to worry about.

Whilst it was on the ramps I also asked for the rear brakes to be serviced again. They were due it so thought I'd take the opportunity - turns out one of the slides in the o/s caliper was sticking so it was well timed. Total cost: £0. Top bloke.

Also gave it a thorough clean inside and out which it was in serious need of! Got another coat of polish on and it scrubs up well. There is the odd age-related mark, but it's to be expected for a 9 year old car. I don't have any new photos but thought I'd share one of my faves from when I first bought it

f4af2215-9964-4772-801d-c33e4f4279ce.jpg

With a lot of people adding the Powerflex poly inserts to their cars recently and also taking into account the mileage of my car, I made the decision to get hold of some of the mount inserts for no.243. I'd read a lot of good reviews and I was also mindful of the benefit it gives with regards to protecting the manifold/flexis.

DSCF0202.jpg

I went for Upper Torque, Lower Engine and Gearbox mounts and they were fitted by a mechanic friend of mine. I'm sure you've all read about the vibrations they cause and nothing is different here. They aren't intrusive though and I really don't mind them. Only done 300 miles with them on so far... Only slight downside is that they have caused a few more rattles in the car :smiley:

I also had the rear brakes cleaned and lubed to keep them from seizing again.

Next up was a job that was well overdue....painting the rusty brake hubs. The front discs are Mtec and the rears OEM and all 4 were rusted up. I used Hammerite Straight to Rust Smooth Black. It's a simple enough job and I'm pretty happy with the results. The finish won't win any awards, but it's definitely a big improvement over what they were before!

DSCF0204.jpg

I also gave the Brembos a spruce up while the wheels were off. So a lot better, however they now show up the rusty wheel bolts!! They've been added to a small list of things to do:

- New wiper blades all round (ordered from AutoBulbsDirect)
- New wheel bolts
- Refurb of all 4 wheels

Thanks for reading :smile:

thats it Jimmy..get them hubs painted..one thing everyone notices straight away..when are you having your wheels refurbed??

thats it Jimmy..get them hubs painted..one thing everyone notices straight away..when are having your wheels refurbed??

Thanks Pav, yeah it looks so much better and it makes you realise how bad it looks when they are rusty.

I will get the wheels done after Scotland I think. I keep putting it off, but they need doing and it will be another little change that will hopefully make a big difference.

Also, are these the bolts I should be getting??

you doing the wheels in black???im not 100% sure about the bolts mate..i got them from Chris secondhanded so not clued on the dimensions..
think its the right size from what i can remember..

No I'll get them refurbed in the same anthracite, keep it OE :smile: Black bolts might not be the best choice, but not sure if TPI do anthracite ones??

may look a bit weird..anthracite wheels and black bolts..whats wrong with your current bolts that you want to change them??

Last edited:
may looks a bit weird..anthracite wheels and black bolts..whats wrong with your current bolts that you want to change them??

They've rusted up and with the hubs now looking better it makes the bolts stand out a bit more. I just want to tidy it up really, but yeah black bolts aren't the best choice in hindsight.

not sure about this but lots of guys bought wheel caps..may be one of the choices for you rather than spending £40 for diff colour bolts..pretty sure they come in all shades/colors too..

Hubs look a lot better buddy.

Keep us informed on the Polybushes. I'm only just ahead of you - so will be interesting to see how you go.

Take it easy......

not sure about this but lots of guys bought wheel caps..may be one of the choices for you rather than spending £40 for diff colour bolts..pretty sure they come in all shades/colors too..

That's not a bad idea actually, just had a look and the closest I can find in colour is 'smoke'.... For £5 it's got to be worth a punt.

Hubs look a lot better buddy.

Keep us informed on the Polybushes. I'm only just ahead of you - so will be interesting to see how you go.

Take it easy......

Thanks, it's such an easy job to do but makes quite a lot of difference. I'm happy with the bushes so far to be honest, I don't really notice the vibrations as much already, even though they are still there. It's mostly on idle that the steering wheel shakes, but it doesn't bother me really. Will defo keep you posted though.

Tpi do polarised which is quite cool :smile:

I do like the look of those, however they are pretty pricey for some wheel bolts :smiley: sexy as though, fo sho :thumbup1: