I want another ClioSport

Tom

Platinum Member
I want to buy a second ClioSport - probably a 182/172 with both cup packs...

Why?

Because my plan was to never sell this car and just turn it into a dedicated track car when I'm done with it in a year or two.

However, 'cause it's FF and non-cup, it's uber heavy.

When I am out with 182/172 owners with their super-light cars, there really isn't much in it at times (usually the fun times too, such as corners, etc...)

I also don't like my colour as much as I like others. In fact, if I listed my favourite Clio colours Albi would be almost my last choice. :worried: (sorry other Albi owners!) Had I had more choice, I'd have probably purchased RB or UR.

In an ideal world I would by this:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?636800-Racing-Blue-Clio-182-%A34195

Strip it out
Install racing seats
Lower it
Put 15s on
Put a filter in
Remap it

That would be amazing.

Is there any way I could do such things with my 197 to save me yearning over another car?

I also hadn't decided on tracking it when I made my mods and kind've regret the ones I've bought and fitted already.

Because it has things like electric mirror adjusters - how would I even begin stripping door cards or replacing them for carbon ones?

Save me from the expense, ear ache and sleepless nights on the sofa (see disclaimer part 1) - advise me up!

Disclaimer
1. Don't tell the missus. She'd probably litterally kill me. I've had 5 cars in two years and I promised the 197 was going to be a steady partner for at least that haha.
2. I love my 197 so hard it's untrue, and if a second Clio compromises the ownership of my baby - it isn't happening.

Last edited:
im looking for something els 2 mate the problem is if you kill ur car you will cry buy a 172 182 for a few grand and if you break it feck it lol i would buy a track car if i was you but thats my opinion.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. :smile:

Have you ever driven on track
Na man, although rubbish, I am a keen karter, so tracking my car is inevitable. My first track day is May 1st and I've no doubt there will be loads more to follow.

You hate the Albi??????
My estimations of you have just shot down. :worried:
Lol, I didn't say "hate" - I couldn't buy a colour I hated. I just don't like it as much as others.

Depends if you wanna keep such luxuries as aircon and back seats?
Nope. That's just it man, I wanna take it right down to the bare essentials - but I worry about things like the electric mirrors, etc.

Tbh, if you've settled on making the 197 a dedicated track car then I'd go the full hog.

1. Back seats and jack/tool set are the first thing to go. I like the R26.R look so wouldnt remove the back door cards/plastic bits and would cover the metal exposed by the rear seat removal with a nice simple/light bit of carpet.

2. Rear wiper would be next thing to go, again I'd keep the plastic trim on the inside of the boot lid.

3. Front seats are next thing to GTF. The standard seats are a tonne weight, however lighter than the Recaros. Some nice Recaro pole positions would be my choice.

4. I'd rip out the interior, carpets etc and remove all the sound proffing underneath. I'd stick the carpet back in (Again going for the R26.R look).

5. Radio and speakers would be next.

6. Wheels. Get rid of yer Turinis and buy some lightweight badboys. OZ Ultraleggeras/Altraleggeras or even some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s.

7. Standard exhaust really is stupidly heavy. The Akrapovic is condiserably lighter, though I reckon most aftermarket ones will save some weight.

8. Door cards. Some nice carbon fibre numbers would be good. Cut some holes in them for the windows switches and handle.

9. Change the electric mirrors for the Cup manual ones, though not sure how easy this is.

Martin, you're a star! That's some great advice - I've copied it into MS word and printed it lol. Sad much?

Additionally to that, I may get a genuine CF diffuser to save 4kg... :smiley:

Expensive times ahead...

After that it gets extreme.

Loose the windows? Put poly windows in, though I'd leave the windscreen as is as its structural to the car.

If you dont mind the totally bare look, you could rip all the internal plastics out. But to me, thats too much.

After you've bought all these things, would it not be more beneficial to just s/charge or put a meg lump in?

Before id even do anything i would do a track day !!!!

The though of making or buying a track day car having never done one is lunacy .

Why not just keep it standard except track day tyres .

When you have don e a track day look at the weak points and upgrade from there but it will be 2-5 track days before you can really feel where you need to do things .

someone who can drive will be just as quick in a standard car as you would be in a stripped out car with 0 experience and "feel" for the car on track.

dont go mental yet spend the cash on some R888's or similar and get some track days booked

Carbon door cards? They'll cost loads and make you about 0.001 second quicker.

If I were you I'd do what Steve Murr said and just buy a 172 Cup that's already been track prepped, or buy one like this: http://pistonheads.com/sales/3789446.htm

You'll save so much money and you really don't need to go spending big money on mods to have fun.

buy a 172, fit new brakes, tyres and front camber bolts. Go do a day on track

If you're going to strip it, it makes no odds at all if you start with a cup, and you'll probably need to change suspension anyway (even just for fresh new stuff) so just fit good coilovers when you're ready, or brand new cup shocks and some decent springs