how far do our engines go..?

Just ticked over 10k in my 200 in 8 months, was 8 years in Oz had a NH pajero with 485000kms on the clock, one replacement engine, everything else original... Hoping I don't do the same in clio

Mine had done 95k when I sold it last month. Sure I had some issues (ball joint, steering arms, manifold) but these seem fairly common on the earlier cars regardless of mileage. Given my experience I would buy on age and condition rather than mileage.

Reminds me of Trigger with his sweeping brush, he had the same one for 20 years...

To quote one of the best tuners around when the question was asked about failures particularly on stage 2 megs "rod bolts, rod bolts, rod bolts"

Cup racers run arps and sadev boxes. Reasons???

Would like to know what mileage some of the 06 cars are on as there have been a couple that I've seen for sale and they were close to 100,000 a couple of years ago

Mine's just hit 39,000. But has had pretty good life as everything still feels pretty good, 1 minor wear I have found is the steering ball joint has small play in it but other than that it hasn't burnt any oil and I don't plan on skimping when it comes to oil change time in fitting cheap chinese made parts with budget oil.

But with anything mechanical that has to endure extreme's in heat/cold and human abuse there will always be failures regardless of how high quality it might be.

As long as a high mileage car has been serviced regularly and looked after I don't see why it should then be dismissed as being junk. You could easily spend 14k on a low mileage car and find engine/gearbox fails because the previous owner new they were going to sell in 3 years so just abused the car.

The pillar of Chavness apparently, and un-reliability is the Saxo.

But let me tell you something.

Suki, my little old VTS, had 150000 on the clock when she passed on to car heaven, only got through only one set of drive shafts (being a saxo, it was driven like on - traffic light grand prix etc etc) was still on the original gear box and engine. She was perfect, and to this day, was the one car I was most attached to.

My 197 now has 53k on it - 42k in 2 1/2 years, and nothing too bad (touch wood) :smile::smile:

I'm sure well looked after, they will go on well!!!

I think the stat about vtec engines was never broken under warranty, which i still find hard to believe.

you could get 200k out of any car if you're willing to keep throwing money at it... keeping a 197 going that long would cost a fortune