Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
[MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION] thanks for the reply.. few people saying i should change the gearbox oil before jumping in and changing the entire gearbox? Any recommendations on what gearbox oil to go for? thanks

Look on opie oils.

If your crunch only happens in high revs the box is knackered.

Driving the car sensibly and changing gear it may not crunch but on a spirited drive if you're finding it does then it's definitely on it's way out.

[MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION] yeah found it to be crunching more when giving it some! I'll change the oil either way & go from there.

Yes [MENTION=4391]Deaks[/MENTION] we've had it by the sounds of it. Will just have to be a bit more careful. Although I'm only getting an occasional crunch into third.

@Rogue thanks for the reply.. few people saying i should change the gearbox oil before jumping in and changing the entire gearbox? Any recommendations on what gearbox oil to go for? thanks

castrol-syntrans-transaxle-75w-90--taf-x-hajtomuolajok.jpg

100 gearboxes that have been replaced now according to the poll... (although I could only vote once, mine was replaced a few times!)

I haven't done the poll and mines been changed.

I don't think you can on tapatalk so it's bound to be more than 100

mines an 06 and done 72k on the original box and its fine no crunch nothing that all may change when i go and collect it from from Clio turbo if it holds up with 290bhp ill be very happy lol

Just had a quick poke around on the bay. Seen someone selling them for 600 notes fitted with a 3 month warranty, plus you can extend it. At a price of course.

Hello from Melbourne, Australia, folks.

My car is a 2012 Clio RS 200 Sport.

I had my gearbox replaced after 1800 miles; it was crunching from 3rd to 4th shortly after 620 miles.

Now the car has done 9500 miles, and I am experiencing intermittent complete lock-out from 1st and 2nd gears whilst moving (I can't select 1st or 2nd), and difficulty selecting 3rd.

Is it just my car, or does the Renault Clio manual gearbox completely suck?

Ralph.

Last edited:
Is this a noticeable crunch noise? Mine feels abit notchy at hight revs but i cant honestly tell if its crunching. Not even a 3 year old car and its got the 4 plus so hopefully if its knackered then i can get it sorted.

Is this a noticeable crunch noise? Mine feels abit notchy at hight revs but i cant honestly tell if its crunching. Not even a 3 year old car and its got the 4 plus so hopefully if its knackered then i can get it sorted.

Hi, James.

Maybe yours is on the way to developing the trouble mine's having. Can you believe 1 out of 4 people who have taken the survey on the thread have had a 'box replaced? That's crazy!

I can't hear a crunch. It's simply refusing to allow 1st or 2nd gear to go in. Then I stop the car, and I can select 1st again. Then I get up and running, and second won't go in. Then 3rd is difficult. If the engine is off, I can slot all the gears with ease.

Any ideas?

Ralph.

The clutch/slave cylinders are also a bit of a weak point... This could be a cause of the problems, rather than the box itself. It may be worth you both getting it diagnosed by Renault and going from there.

The results of the survey do make it look very bad... However there are a lot of people who have been totally trouble-free with their gearboxes. As is often the case with the internet, people are quick to tell the world when something goes wrong, however not nearly as many come online and tell the world that their car has been spot on.

I am currently negotiating with Renault over a replacement Gearbox. They have two options on the table, first is a new gearbox, second is a reconditioned box. Obviously the cost to me will be a big factor in what I choose,however can anyone comment on the following. Will the new gearbox be an improved design regarding the syncros. If I go for a recondition box is there a chance that the box could be from a high mileage car. Do Renault replace everything inside that is worn or just fix the original problem. Ideally they would recondition the gearbox in the car (41k). I'm not sure if this could be an option?
. Thanks Rob

Had my box replaced under 6 month warranty last week for free...last day of my warranty too! Lucky bugger I am! Renault Weybridge, top bunch, actually very helpful!

Same box from factory in my car now at 60,000kms. Getting a preventative 3rd synchro replaced along with a diff and a lighter flywheel. Gears would be hard to select on a spirited drive but not on track days. It's an odd box alright!

Probably worth mentioning though I haven't read all this thread my car 2011 (200) has gearbox problem luckily it's not as bad as some described on here but the cause is clutch drag, as to how/why is yet to be determined.

whether it is a warped fly wheel or clutch disc or improper adjustment to the disengagement of the clutch it's self.