Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Hello, I just bought my car, it's 2010 so out of warranty and has 29k miles on the clock, my problem is in 4th gear there's a crunch, I didn't realise how expensive it would be to put it right until I read on here, can you not just replace the synchros with the stronger ones rather than a whole new gearbox? Really not sure what to do and it's playing on my mind now

Hello, I just bought my car, it's 2010 so out of warranty and has 29k miles on the clock, my problem is in 4th gear there's a crunch, I didn't realise how expensive it would be to put it right until I read on here, can you not just replace the synchros with the stronger ones rather than a whole new gearbox? Really not sure what to do and it's playing on my mind now

it depends on the cost to strip & repair the box - sometimes its not just the synchros when they are taken apart there can be bearings etc and when you add up
labout time + parts its not always cheaper to repair!

Oh I see, so I'm not actually going to know anything until Renault take it apart am I, and that's going to be a lot of money itself by the sounds of things, I've given them an email and a message on Twitter, so I'll see what they come back, thanks for your help foxspeed

Is there any truth to Renault doing revised synchros? and if so which gears?

Pretty much I've read several threads now and don't think I've seen anything confirmed. Apparently the synchros were carbon based and now they are brass - true? Also some of the gears use 3 piece syncros and others a single piece- though which gears I'm not sure? Did the apparent revised synchros use single piece?

I'm thinking I might get the box rebuilt, that way I can put a Quaife and 5.0 final drive in.

Oh and my vote can be changed to needs a new box! 4th gear crunch at high revs, worse coming down from 5th than going up from 3rd. 59 plate 200 with 36k on the clock. New OE clutch, slave and oil about 5000 miles ago.

Hi all,

New to the site and wanting to vent my frustrations about gearboxes. Here is a quick rundown of the story so far:

- Bought 2008 Clio 197
- Fourth Gear Synchro was toast - took car back to dealer 2 days later to demand money back
- Traded 2008 Clio against shiny 2012 Clio 200 with only 5000 miles on it!
- Gradually fourth gear gently crunching in the new one too.
- Took it back to renault under manufacturers warranty and had new gear box
- I have done around 2000 gentle miles too and from work on the new gearbox and guess what.... Fourth gear crunches occasionally

What is wrong with these people?????? Why can't they build a gearbox that works. Don't get me wrong the car's engine and chassis cannot be faulted but I'm at a loss here???

Do all gearboxes crunch a tiny bit in fourth or have renault fitted another duff unit to my car? The crunch is noticable usually when decelerating to a roundabout and block changing from 6th to 4th

Hi all,

New to the site and wanting to vent my frustrations about gearboxes. Here is a quick rundown of the story so far:

- Bought 2008 Clio 197
- Fourth Gear Synchro was toast - took car back to dealer 2 days later to demand money back
- I have done around 2000 gentle miles too and from work on the new gearbox and guess what.... Fourth gear crunches occasionally

What is wrong with these people?????? Why can't they build a gearbox that works. Don't get me wrong the car's engine and chassis cannot be faulted but I'm at a loss here???

Do all gearboxes crunch a tiny bit in fourth or have renault fitted another duff unit to my car? The crunch is noticable usually when decelerating to a roundabout and block changing from 6th to 4th

Hello mate, I've got the same issue, bought a 200 last week, 4th gear crunches... However when I bought the car that was the first question I asked he said its fine etc etc if it gets worse come back and see me, it hasn't got worse but me being a car lover the same as most of you on here you want to get it sorted for the peace of mind... So I'm taking it back this month but its costing me £600 to sort it. I don't mind paying to get it sorted but it's likely it'll just happen again which is frustrating, if it does I'll just get a recon box, been quoted £1000 for one of those near me. After reading all the info on here I think its just something you have to deal with mate I'm afraid

Hi all,

- Bought 2008 Clio 197

same here. first box replaced under warranty. was told to take it easy the first 600 miles with the new box (which i did), then began to drive the car harder, did two trackdays with it and bam ... bingo! new box in total 1500 miles of which 300 miles (maximum) were driven full-on. i swear i didn't miss one gear change. on those trackdays, i even changed from fifth to third (deliberately skipping fourth) in the heavy braking zones. to say i'm shocked is an understatement. makes you look like a plonker who can't drive.

i love my car, but i'm seriously thinking about selling it. problem is, what fun car to buy for the same kind of money?

Just got my car back from having the gearbox refurbished, needed two Synchro's replacing and a bearing. My mechanic said that when he ordered the parts Renault gave him some revised numbers which where different from the originals in my box. I have a 57 plate R27 registered in November 2007, does anyone know when the synchros where revised as I thought R27 came with the revised gearbox?

had mine done in april, 4th gear shagged, it was explained to me as the baulk ring shouldnt be smooth and having seen it it was smooth as babies bum, bit annoyed with myself as i was going to px in march as i'd paid off the finance, but changed my mind on the spur of the moment and decided to keep it a while thinking as it was paid off i could start pocketing that bit of money, that idea didnt work out so well

I don't understand why people are so accepting of this gearbox issue...Renault knew they were fitting gearboxes that were going to fail to most of the people that commented here, they were aware they are faulty by design.

They should replace these whether they are out of warranty of not with a part that will not fail. I'm in the process of taking them to court and will use some information received from some of the lovely people on this forum to show they have acted irresponsibly. If you have communication from Renault regarding your replaced gearbox and why they replaced it/did not replace I would appreciate people posting that.

BILLION £££££ CORPORATIONS SHOULD NOT GET AWAY WITH RIPPING PEOPLE OFF TO PUT MORE MONEY IN THEIR SHAREHOLDERS POCKETS!!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm getting the dreaded crunch into 3rd gear and have just started the process with Renault. Not overly optimistic as the car is 5 years old and just turned 50k miles. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has been through this process, especially anyone who has had RUK help out of warranty or where in the 40-50k miles range*.

- Failing that and fearing a high bill, is there anyone decent in the Midlands area I could go to, to get the gearbox sorted (new, refurb, etc).
- Is there any other work people would do to that area of the car while the gearbox is out?
- And what's everyone's views on Renault Birmingham - good choice or is there a more sympathetic dealer?

Thanks
Adam

*I'm reading through all posts as quick as I can!

Hi guys,

I'm getting the dreaded crunch into 3rd gear and have just started the process with Renault. Not overly optimistic as the car is 5 years old and just turned 50k miles. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has been through this process, especially anyone who has had RUK help out of warranty or where in the 40-50k miles range*.

- Failing that and fearing a high bill, is there anyone decent in the Midlands area I could go to, to get the gearbox sorted (new, refurb, etc).
- Is there any other work people would do to that area of the car while the gearbox is out?
- And what's everyone's views on Renault Birmingham - good choice or is there a more sympathetic dealer?

Thanks
Adam

*I'm reading through all posts as quick as I can!

Gearbox diagnosed with 3rd gear syncro problem. Have been advised that a replacement box is needed and quoted £2364. The car is 53,000 and 5 years old.

Can’t believe how long this thread has been going for and now I’m the latest crunching victim ! Love everything about the car always have done but I don’t do a lot of mileage (where I worked moved office about 10 mins drive from my house) so unfortunately for me at 16500miles the gearbox has gone (of course out of warranty), confirmed synchro fail 3rd to 4th, no surprise there! Taken up the case with RUK who tried to claim the age of my car (5 and a half years old) played a part and also the low mileage as part of the cause too. Offered 25% by RUK, they refused to budge on this, they said they reviewed all of the info that was sent over to then from this forum and 197.net but i dont believe it, and dealership offered £100 towards repairs, they are still claiming after all this time it’s not a fault with the gearbox. Just taken the case to motorcodes today see if I get anywhere as thats my only option with RUK point blank refusing to do anymore, to say I’m pissed off is an understatement.

Cheers
Leanne

Can’t believe how long this thread has been going for and now I’m the latest crunching victim ! Love everything about the car always have done but I don’t do a lot of mileage (where I worked moved office about 10 mins drive from my house) so unfortunately for me at 16500miles the gearbox has gone (of course out of warranty), confirmed synchro fail 3rd to 4th, no surprise there! Taken up the case with RUK who tried to claim the age of my car (5 and a half years old) played a part and also the low mileage as part of the cause too. Offered 25% by RUK, they refused to budge on this, they said they reviewed all of the info that was sent over to then from this forum and 197.net but i dont believe it, and dealership offered £100 towards repairs, they are still claiming after all this time it’s not a fault with the gearbox. Just taken the case to motorcodes today see if I get anywhere as thats my only option with RUK point blank refusing to do anymore, to say I’m pissed off is an understatement.

Cheers
Leanne

Hi Leanne,

I'd be intrigued to learn the initial quote you've been given for your gearbox. I'm in the middle of the same process with RUK and the dealers.

Adam

Hi Adam, I was quoted an exchange for a new gearbox was £2613.23 including vat then new clutch was advised while the gearbox is out, an additional £246.50 including vat they offered 25% contribution so £1959.92 lest to pay on the box and £184.87 clutch kit then the dealership threw in £100. Ive just posted on the Renaultsport forum as of yesterday too, just trying to spread my disgust as far as i can!

Leanne