Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Bought my 200 second hand about a month or so ago from a Motorline Renault. Its a 59 plate and I think the 3rd 'synchro' is going as when i shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd there is a crunch. Im obviously out of warranty... And i really cant afford £2000 to replace a gearbox. Whats my action plan :worried:

theres some gearboxes on ebay for sale at good prices - buy one of those and then get a garage to replace it for you be far cheaper than £2k...

other alternative is to remove box strip repair replace and refit - again should be cheaper than £2k!!!

Should i be getting in touch with the renault i bought it from and complain? And also get in touch with renault UK... Or should i just take it to my local garage and ask them to fix it?

Should i be getting in touch with the renault i bought it from and complain? And also get in touch with renault UK... Or should i just take it to my local garage and ask them to fix it?

Personally I'd be speaking to the garage I bought it from or if too far away my local dealer.

If you get no help from them at all (even out of warranty it still has to be seen to b e fit for purpose) then you will need to be speaking to RUK Customer services.

They should be offering some contribution to replacing it at LEAST.

Just FYI mine was replaced back in September on a '10 plate car with only about 24k miles and given this thread 76% of responses to say they've had it replaced? They should be making a massive contribution imo as the gearbox design is faulty and they know it.

Personally I'd be speaking to the garage I bought it from or if too far away my local dealer.

If you get no help from them at all (even out of warranty it still has to be seen to b e fit for purpose) then you will need to be speaking to RUK Customer services.

Just FYI mine was replaced back in September on a '10 plate car with only about 24k miles and given this thread 76% of responses to say they've had it replaced? They should be making a massive contribution imo as the gearbox design is faulty and they know it.

Thanks for your advice mate! Ill be straight on to them tomorrow!

urrmmm 23% have been replaced ;/

The 'new' ones on ebay look like a bargain, are they the early type?

Renault dealer stock.

Had a new gear box fitted on the 5th and it's gone again!!! I now officially hate this car

Reading this worries me, as my gearbox has just been replaced. The car has been a nightmare for me too, but I can reject it and I've got things like this happening in the back of my mind.

Last thing I want is gearbox to go again.

What have dealer said, obviously they'll do it again? Is it crunching or will it not go into gear?

Mine was replaced as I said and on picking it up it wouldn't go into gear so they had to do more work on it.

So i've spoken to Renault in maidstone and Renault UK and apparently renault maidstone failed to tell me I have a purchasing warranty which runs until April 2013.

So hopefully I should get it replaced but the discussion is on going.

Also Renault UK refused to recognise it as a known fault.

So i've spoken to Renault in maidstone and Renault UK and apparently renault maidstone failed to tell me I have a purchasing warranty which runs until April 2013.

So hopefully I should get it replaced but the discussion is on going.

Also Renault UK refused to recognise it as a known fault.

I keep on ringing the guy that deals with there warranty refference a few small bits and bobs with mine.

Was supposed to get back to me about 3 months ago lol, I rang yesterday he was supposed to call back & guess what....

Yeah he didn't. Starting to boil my p*ss now.

Worried about the warranty... They are looking to replace the gearbox which is good.. But worried they may void it with my centre silencer cut out on the exhaust and my new ITG panel filter...

Worried about the warranty... They are looking to replace the gearbox which is good.. But worried they may void it with my centre silencer cut out on the exhaust and my new ITG panel filter...

technically that has no effect or influence over the mechanical integrety of the gearbox :book: