GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

The obvious answer is oil pressure but then you would expect the big ends to suffer but they are always in much better condition. I have read that the crank tends to have an imbalance which causes it which makes more sense.

Reactions: Maidens1979
Took the afternoon off last Friday and got the engine in and running. I took the hit and replaced the clutch, I got to the point of putting the old one on before deciding, it just didn’t feel right when torqueing, as if the pressure plate had lost some of its ‘pressure’

I had the engine upside down for a week when replacing the bearings so the tappets had drained resulting in some very scary tappy noises for a few minutes!

IMG_0169.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

Needed to clear a few errors from the ECU but everything settled down and seems ok with good oil pressure and no leaks or noises. I did a quick compression test and all 4 are bang on 160, to be excepted with the mileage.

IMG_0122.jpeg

16kg of ballast bolted to the passenger mounts.

IMG_0139.jpeg

Some front end modifications in progress…

IMG_0144.jpeg

Other than that nothing exciting to report, two weeks to go.

I have bought tickets to Brands Hatch in two weeks (the Sunday) - it will be good to see this go round the track as fast as you can push it.

Reactions: LiamP
70 laps, 60 litres of fuel and zero issues (on the track).

53658635470_705fdbe280_k.jpg

I was starting to get nervous about not having tested the engine so booked a very last minute (night before) track day at Combe yesterday. Supposed to be racing here next month and the weather looked good so thought it would be worth the 2hr trip.

The car drove onto the trailer and off which is always a good sign, excuse the state of the front bumper, I have fibreglassed the inside but haven’t finished the filler so it looks terrible although maybe slightly better than the awful ‘speed holes’.

53658525539_2d99f0dc04_k.jpg

After the sighting laps I noticed that the idle is playing up, hard to explain but it’s as though the throttle body gets stuck at around 1.4k and won’t settle back down to 800. Stopping and starting the engine fixes it but once it revs over 2.5k it will do it again, I don’t have time to get it on a dyno so I think my only option is to try changing the throttle body as talking to Andy he doesn’t believe anything on the map would cause this. Either that or it could be the PCV valve as I found bits of engine inside when cleaning before putting the engine back in. Once on the track it doesn’t seem to impact anything, I am just concerned that it might get worse or whatever is causing it suddenly fails completely.

53657309197_f445dd1b9b_k.jpg

First session went well with only a clutch and brake bleed required to fix the box feeling a bit notchy and the brakes having a slight softness on initial bite. The ABS issues I have been facing since the rebuild have finally been fixed which was what probably causing air in the brake system.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.29.38.png

The engine feels strong, obviously power delivery below 4k is all over the place as to be expected without a proper map but once up to where it belongs the car feels identical to how it was before the crash. No leaks and oil pressure is higher than my original engine at around 5 bar under load with temps staying where they should be. The clutch issue has gone, this is assuming it was the clutch/flywheel as obviously everything to the left of the gearbox has been changed but the engine pulls right up to the max speed I managed ~120mph, the first corner at Combe is just terrifying.

53658514739_15a80d8a8d_k.jpg

One thing I didn’t mention in the previous post is that I have moved to using a 1*2 damper, this was to prevent engine damage and reduce the speed of the alternator. Might be too early to say but the 20% reduction in alternator speed seems to have done the job as I didn’t have any ‘LOW BATTERY’ errors yesterday. I have kept the standard tensionor using the same belt length the racers use, which is a ‘VKMV 5PK1080’

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.29.14.pngScreenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.29.24.png

After lunch it decided to hail, not ideal, I went out anyway as I thought it would be a good test for ‘wet weather’, the outcome is that Direzzas are shit, the roof scoop acts like a pressure washer and my T7 blower sometimes doesn’t work. Not ideal but good to find these things out now, the list of things to fix is starting to get very long.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.29.46.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 10.53.26.png

Track dried quickly, stayed till 5, longest I have lasted on the track for a very long time, chassis just feels great, rotates on the brakes but very controllable, really enjoyed the day.

53659087725_e46beb48b9_k.jpg

Mine used to do the weird 2500 rev thing when starting it from cold, but after it had done the normal sort of 1200rpm cat warm up phase. Was fine when hot, and caused me no bother on track.

Mine used to do the weird 2500 rev thing when starting it from cold, but after it had done the normal sort of 1200rpm cat warm up phase. Was fine when hot, and caused me no bother on track.
Hmm, it's weird as mine will do it when hot or cold but triggered by revving over ~2.5k, it's like the TB is stuck open slightly.

@LiamP where did you buy the new pulley from please? This is the one from the Clio 182 and about 1kg lighter correct? Thank you.

Yeah, I got it from frogjam, not OE but the quality is good

Reactions: VeiRoNv2
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.50.png

I guess I was due to some luck after the past year!

R1: P2 Class (P8 overall)
R2: P1 Class (class fastest lap) (P5 overall)
R3: P2 Class (P9 overall)

Was a bit of a rush trying to get the final bits finished over the past few weeks, mostly small things but whilst doing a check on the frontend I noticed my offside tyre was completely dead on the inside. Quick call to NAD to see if he could fit me in and he very kindly moved some stuff around so I could get an alignment on the Thursday. In hindsight I knew that the toe was likely to be off due to the amount of times I had taken the hubs off to get the driveshafts out.

It was found to have almost a degree out on the offside which explains the wear.. This was also a good excuse to get it weighed now I had added the ballast and was as expected at 1066kg (dry)

Full oil change with the sump off to remove any lube from changing the bearings, all looked super clean.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.34.39.png

Spent some time trying to isolate the idle issue, changed the following:
  • Throttle body
  • Lambda
  • PCV
  • MAP sensor
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.34.56.png

All of them made zero difference so it has to be something with the map or I have somehow got my TB in some sort of calibration mode as it behaves very oddly. There was no way I had time to get it on a dyno so the plan was to send it and hope it didn’t get worse or cause any sort of over heating on the start line..

I replaced the fan in the T7 blower with an equivalent unit from RS components, £50 as opposed to purchasing a new fan at £170, something that proved worthwhile when it came to the weekend!

There was then all the small things
  • Battery terminal yellow tape
  • Stickers
  • Cage padding
  • Nut and bolt check
  • RainX
  • Front bumper wrap
  • Transponder location
  • Petrol
  • Roof tent pick up from a mate
Fibreglass, lots of filler and a rushed wrap has made the front acceptable, not perfect as the flex has meant the holes are still visible but it does the job.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.03.png Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.13.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.22.png

Round 1 - Brands Hatch Indy

Turned up early Saturday morning in the pissing rain, had time to get the car sorted, collect transponder and dropped 4 alloys off with PolleySport for a set of 4 new AO52’s. I had PS4’s in reserve but the forecast was looking like things were going to be on the dry side of wet which by all accounts favours the AO52’s.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.34.png

Sailed through scrutineering, no issues or concerns and got a pat on the back from the scrutineer for how the car was prepared which was satisfying.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.57.png

By the time it was qualifying it had stopped raining and we were all expecting a damp track but from the first lap it was obvious it was going to be dry and times would be competitive. Having spent my entire track time experience taking things slow over a day I find it difficult to go out and try get a lap time in 15 minutes. Overall car felt good but struggled to get the car to rotate in the slow corners, it was as if the AO52’s had too much grip on the rear and it felt really pushy on corner entry.

Qualified P3 in class with a 56.299 which is about a second off where I wanted to be on a dry track, P2 was 56.0 and P1 with 55.3 which is very impressive considering the track conditions.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.35.41.png

Race 1

Didn’t change anything for the race as I assumed the lack of frontend grip was due to the track. First attempt at a start was red flagged before we got to Paddock, nasty rear end crash after the P2 CRX stalled on the line (clutch failure)

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.18.30.png

Second attempt was another poor start (really struggle with standing start) and I think I was down 4/5 places before druids. I then got stuck behind a surprisingly fast Class C E36 which I eventually got past when he lost the rear into Paddock. Started chasing down the P1 civic after he had an off at Graham Hill, just didn’t have the pace to get close enough for a move and finished 3s behind in Class P2.

Race 2

Race 2 was held on the Sunday after it rained heavily from about 5pm the night before through to 10am, I didn't sleep much. Race 2 was at 11:15 and it had just stopped raining, everyone was walking up and down the paddock trying to work out what others were doing. My phone was telling me it was likely to start raining through the race but lightly, took the gamble and kept the AO52’s on as I knew the Civic was going to do the same as he was driving up and down the paddock to try and scrub in a new set.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.54.37.png

Things felt good on the green flag lap with more grip than expected considering the conditions / puddles. Another poor start, wheel spun through 1st and then bogged down in 2nd, I was then greeted with a lot spray from the track at Paddock and starting shitting myself regarding the choice in the tyres.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.27.24.png

At this point I was down to 14th and had a lot of cars in-between myself and the civic however I was finding that the tyres had switched on and the car had come alive with far more grip than I have ever experience in the wet. I then got lucky again when the Civic had an off at clearways with a Class A car and was coming back onto the track. We entered the finish straight 4 wide all touching wing mirrors, kept to the wet lines keeping off the rubber and was able to stick with the Civic as we cut though the Class C fast starters and a few Class A’s that where struggling in the conditions. Every lap there was someone going off or coming back on the track, it was mental, grass/gravel on the exit of most corners made thing very tricky.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 15.42.20.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.27.45.png

The conditions were almost identical to a track day I did with Matt from Camber&Combustion in 2022 where we spent the whole day working on wet lines / grip etc and it was invaluable.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 15.47.18.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 15.53.37.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 15.49.54.png

Spent about 5 laps behind as we traded positions mid corner as I tried to work out how to make a move stick, his toe/camber had taken a hit so was struggling with the car but he was able to make it up in the straights where I seemed to be lacking power. Finally got a move to stick taking it wide into clearways and just about having the grip to get the power down and stay in front before Paddock. Put the hammer down and did a few 1m2s laps to make a gap before hitting traffic which made things very tricky in the conditions. Kept the lead for a further 4 laps, the longest 4 laps of my life before finishing 3 tenths ahead on the line.

441056276_1011761527304202_4561628863886440653_n.jpg

Was buzzing after this race as I was driving as hard as I could and really didn’t expect it with my fastest lap only 5 tenths off the Class A fastest and yes I am still wearing the cap.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.21.32.png

Race 3

The track was now dry so the Civic had the advantage again based on qualifying and the geo now fixed, was pretty cool to be starting P5 and this close to the front as it’s not where I expected to be on Race 3!

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.30.40.png

Much better start this time and kept my position through the lap with only Steve Polley overtaking but he was a fast Class A that had struggled in the wet. I was then just racing myself unable to make up the time to get to the Civic, still a second off where I should be which obviously adds up over a race. In hindsight I wish I had upped the rear dampers to try and get it moving again but was too nervous to change much but considering how well it handled in the wet it’s obvious it wasn’t going to perform in the dry. Over the weekend I had no penalties, track limits or issues and another P2 finish, can’t complain!

Interestingly the last and only? time this shell raced was at Brands in the wet.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 16.44.36.png

Round 2 at Combe in less than 4 weeks which is likely to be more competitive, the plan is to get a dyno session booked to sort this engine map out and work on how to give the front end some more grip with these tyres.

Last edited:
Haha no way, forgot to mention you both, thanks for supporting!

Very likely to get that printed so you will be on my office wall soon

It was a good race! From watching everyone go through paddock hill bend your car definitely looked like one of the most stable ones
That’s interesting, it really was an amazing car to drive in this race, I just need to replicate in the dry.

Reactions: EthanMenace