GW 200 CUP (clubsport->racecar->v2)

Silverstone International Round 8/9/10

Missed the Saturday qualifying / race 8 and joined for the Sunday, arrived nice and early for a quick chat with the Clerk to confirm I could do the mandatory 3 laps with Club Enduro. She had no issue but only wanted me to do the 3 laps and then come in which was slightly annoying as I was hoping for some more time to test all the changes:
  • New radiator
  • Radiator surround
  • Bumper modifications
  • New rear spoiler
  • Splitter v2
  • Gearbox oil

IMG_0774.jpeg

Practice

I could immediately tell the car was different, under braking it was if the entire weight of the car was on the front tyres and I had zero understeer, it would literally go anywhere I wanted it to. Not sure I have ever made a change that has had such an impact on the way the car handled, the balance had completely shifted to the front. I prefer a car to handle like this but obviously not with such minimal testing of how it would behave once things started getting ‘race warm’

IMG_0767.jpeg

The rear dampers were still set to 4 clicks from hard so relatively stiff (max 12) so I bumped this up to 6 and adjusted the pressures to try and calm things down. I only had 30 minutes before the race so thought about raising or even removing the splitter but removing front end grip seemed counter intuitive.

Race 9

I was starting P26 with 7 Class B cars in front, the plan was to try and get to the back of the main pack by the end of the race so I stood a good chance in Race 10.

fit=2040x2040.jpg

Car felt more stable on the green flag lap, focussed on getting the rears warm as I didn’t want any surprises going into turn 1. Got a reasonable start and just started picking off the slower Class C as I got used to the car and track. By lap 4 I was up 13 positions and could see the class b’s battling ~4s up ahead.

fit=2040x2040-3.jpg

The front grip I had was giving me a huge advantage into the two complexes where I was able to get turned and on the power so much quicker than anyone else. Had some great racing with another Clio and 2 civics, due to an unlucky retirement from the white Clio (slave failure) I eventually finished in P7 / P3 Class, 19 positions gained over the 15 minutes.

fit=2040x2040-2.jpg

P3 Class 1:19.600

Race 10

Car felt much more predictable at the rear but softened the rears another click and reset pressures for the next race. The front felt a bit uneven under braking but I believe that was due to the uneven pressure left/right.

fit=2040x2040-4.jpg

Got a good start and was behind a civic and the fast BMW from Combe, I knew the car had the potential to be faster than both so started pushing the civic into making mistakes. Things just started to get spicy when my clutch disappeared on lap 4, first DNF of the season.

fit=2040x2040-1.jpg

DNF 1:18.966

Frustrating not to finish Race 10 as the civic eventually lost 4th gear so I probably would have got P2 and maybe given the BMW a race. Never got a clean lap as I was too busy racing but the optimal was low 18’s, a day of testing and the car would easily get into 17’s.

I don’t have any other data from Silverstone but vmax on the back straight was 120mph, this is roughly 1 mph faster than Snetterton on a straight which is shorter and has lower starting speed. This looks to confirm that the spoiler has made a difference in drag and the car felt just as stable or even more stable than with the wing in the fast corners. I still think I am down on power vs the rest of the pack, I have an advantage at corner exit due to my low weight but the civics start to pull a gap at the end of the straights and they are supposedly slightly lower BHP/T.

Overall I can’t complain as I had no over heating issues and the new setup is showing some serious potential, probably need to get a test day sorted once I find the time to change the clutch.

Next race is 27th September at Oulton Park, 4hr mission for me but it’s a track I really want to do so contemplating a Friday trip up for a test afternoon and race on the Saturday. Off to Snetterton tomorrow evening for night qualifying and then a 24 race in a 2CV, which should be interesting!

Great update!

I'd say the test day at Oulton is definitely worthwhile. It's my local and having been a fair few times, I thought I was pretty handy round there until I had some tuition.

Great update!

I'd say the test day at Oulton is definitely worthwhile. It's my local and having been a fair few times, I thought I was pretty handy round there until I had some tuition.
Yeah I would certainly want some time on the track as it looks super technical, a lot more interesting than what we have down here.