This weekend I had some time on my hands other than attending at a dog birthday party. The Clio had not received much attention since we went to Cadwell Park. It had not been cleaned after two tracks days so I gave it a deep clean inside. Despite Douglas not being transported about in the Clio his hair seems to find its way in the Clio and in particular in to the woven fabric of the Corbeau bucket seats.

IMG_7771.jpeg

After a few hours of vigorous vacuuming the inside was looking clean again.

IMG_7765.jpeg

We do not use any mats in the front of the car as the various RenaultSport mats see have tried all seem to free themselves and curl up under the pedals despite the mats being fixed with plastic lugs on the carpet. A bit of elbow grease with a stiff brush freed up most of the dirt on the carpet before being vacuumed up.

IMG_7770.jpeg

Once the car had been cleaned inside I jacked up the Clio and took off the wheels to clean them. I had noticed that they looked filthy but what I thought was just road dirt turned out to be a lot brake dust. A full day at Cadwell Park in the wet on the Speedlines with Pilot Sports 4 and 5s had left the two front wheels with a lot of brake dust from the Ferodo DS1.11 pads stuck to the inside barrels and on the edges of the "spokes" of the wheels.

IMG_7760.jpeg

Despite by best efforts I have failed to get all of the brake dust off of the wheels. I spent a good few hours with a stiff brush and a lot of wheel cleaner and fall out remover but there is still lot of brake dust on the wheels. Bizarrely the best way to remove the most stubborn bits of brake dust appears to rub it with a finger as it has a sand like texture. When it is gently rubbed it brakes down in to smaller particles and starts to come off.

IMG_7789.jpeg

I have tried some Auto Finesse Iron Out and some Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner and neither are having much of an impact. I might try some Bilt Hamber Korrosol. If that fails I might try some oven cleaner!

On the following day I gave the outside of the car a wash. The car was treated to its annual trim restorer session with some Gtechniq C4. The car lives outside and does not live in a garage so the UV rays have an impact on the colour of the black plastic. The end plates of the Cup spoiler had been looking a little faded.

IMG_7785.jpeg

Hopefully the C4 will keep the end plates looking dark and glossy for 12 months.

IMG_7786.jpeg

The other trim parts were given some treatment from the C4. The car always look better when it has a bit of gloss and shine to it.

IMG_7795.jpeg

In other news I contacted Superpro about the boots on the anti rotation links as they have perished after a few months.

IMG_7043 (2).jpeg

Superpro replied and said, "Manufacturer is providing replacement boots the will last the life of the drop links, you will need to contact your original purchaser to process the warranty claim as this is who your contact of purchase is with." I am guessing they have either changed the boots to a different design/material or are just going to keep supplying replacement boots for the lifetime or my drop links. I have got to complete a warranty claim spreadsheet but will do this and see how quickly they can supply the boots.

I have been doing some more Ring Trip preparation and have requisitioned the brake down triangle and hi-ves vests to go in a Renault bag from the wife's Renault Zoe.

IMG_7796.jpeg

Just on the wheel cleaning with track pad dust; the best solution I have found has been to use a mix of Autoglym Magma and Demon Wheels. I also then use a scouring pad (the cheap green kitchen washing up variety) lightly on tougher areas - my logic being that it cant be any worse than using a firm brush. Probably not the best solution but it always seems to work.

Reactions: burrellbloke
We replaced the boots on the Superpro anti-rotation links today. Both of the boots that sat closest to the brakes were rather crusty and knackered.

IMG_7834.jpeg

When the boots were removed the joint still looked clean.

IMG_7829.jpeg

Even though the two boots that were on the end of the anti-rotation like that bolts to the wishbone looked fine they were also changed for the replacement boots that Superpro had sent to me.

I did ask Superpro if there was anything that I could do to prolong the life of the boots and they said, "The original boots supplied with the drop links did not go through a process to prevent perishing, this was a batch issue that was picked up last year. The boots supplied are the revised version that have completed the process to prevent the perishing and should last the life of the drop links."

Hopefully the boots will now last as long as the anti-rotation links.

I cleaned the track wheels today and packed them up in some wheel bags that I bought recently.

IMG_7831.jpeg

I had the other track wheels in bags but had not been able to find a product to protect the face of the wheel when they were put in the the back of the car. I then came across someone on eBay selling some simple felt circles for wheels bags. Before I had faffed around with some old towels that had to be folded up and tucked in to the bags.

IMG_7832.jpeg

These felt circles make life a lot easier to keep the faces of the wheels from damaging each other in the boot of the car.

IMG_7833.jpeg

I have purchased a magnetic GB sticker for the Clio when it goes to Germany. Since buying it someone has said to me that magnetic ones fall off. Hopefully it stays on the car when it is out of the packet.

IMG_7835.jpeg

Today is Father's Day @EthanMenace has bought me a TF lap of the Ring. I think a few very slow, and very careful laps on 30th June 2024 might happen now.

IMG_7837.jpeg

We can save the fast(er) laps for the proper track day on 1st July 2024.

We are off to Donington Park on Tuesday next week.