Getting a 172 Cup | DEPOSIT DOWN! 13/05/2012

Tom

Platinum Member
Right, so the cats out of the bag!

It's no secret - I've been thinking of this for a little while now...

When I purchased my 197, I wanted a good, quick little go-kart for a hobby car. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the 197, but following many meetings and runs against/with 172s/182s there's nothing in it around the twisties.

So I made thread: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21554

Following that, I held off for a while and put it on the back burner. Then on May the 1st a mate let me drive his 172 Cup.

It bloody flew! It felt more direct, more thorough and most of all - faster! It actually was like a go-kart!

I was sold.

Originally and ultimately, my goal was to strip the 197 when I had cleared the finance, but I don't think I can wait for three years. Additionally, I had reservations over all the optional extras my car has and getting around them when stripping it out.

Another massive factor here is that 197's weigh so much and after all that stripping and hard work, I'd still be heavier than a FF 182.

So I thought about a 182 and changing the rear bumper/exhaust because I want more of a sleeper look and I don't like the look of the 182 rear ends.

However, even they're heavier than a 172 Cup! I figured that once I had stripped the 182 it would only weigh the same as a standard 172 Cup. So I figured I would start at the 172 Cup and take that down from there.

Finally, making a 172 a little track car is going to be loads cheaper than doing it on my 197.

I will not be buying until Christmas-ish, because I want to get 1 years NCB but I cannot wait already! I am already buying parts for my new car and plan on returning the 197 back to standard to become a daily runner after Christmas.

Just thought I would share that – in case anyone had anything they could add to help me. Like, whether it is actually worth getting a 182 over a 172, etc.

Here's my research for anyone who is interested:

7164393998_54c9a48d43_o.png
Power to Weight Table by Tom Cash, on Flickr

I added the Type R for someone at work and for reference.

I got the majority of the weights from Parkers and some others from here.

Feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Me and my friend at uni were thinking of doing this, a 172cup perfect track slag, both of us being motorsport engineers we love this type of thing. Instead i somehow spent 1k on my 197 lol!! and he is now buying an r26! were both useless.

good luck with it, 172cups are good if you are only using it on a track, there very cheap to buy and run but lack features such as abs so you have to know how to drive ect. look over on CS for more information.

G.

that table doesnt make sense, some of the clio 1*2/197/200 take into the account that its PS not bhp and others dont, and the 1*2 have better bhp per tonne but the 197/200 have better 0-60 times. strange.

on another note, i loved my 172 and would have another, even thou they feel faster, in reality there nothing much in it.

Very tight and chuckable cars!! Will be great! Strip, bilsteins, rear ARB, ds2500's, zaust, inlets and a map will be a weapon!!

Good luck to you fella! Ever since I swapped the 172 Cup in for the 200 cup, I have wanted to get another and have it as a track car. It's not practical to do it where I live now as we only get 1 parking space per appartment but il be looking to move into something bigger with a garage next year.

The only decision is cams, RS2 or ITB's!!!

that table doesnt make sense, some of the clio 1*2/197/200 take into the account that its PS not bhp and others dont, and the 1*2 have better bhp per tonne but the 197/200 have better 0-60 times. strange.

on another note, i loved my 172 and would have another, even thou they feel faster, in reality there nothing much in it.

0-60 will be due to gearing - 172/182 = 5sp box !

I like the idea of a 172 Cup for track car, but couldnt live with one as a daily driver.

This is something I'd also like to do. But I don't have the time or the money to do it unfortunately.

That chart does throw up a few questions, as has been said, the BHP figure for the 197 is correct, but the others are the PS figures.

Tom, fit your standard springs because the mk3s handle sooo much more precise than the mk2s. Even with my solid top mounts my 182 didn't have as much grip as my 200. Straight line speed there is nothing in it until 4th gear and I'll slowly pull away.

If you will solely be using it as a track car then the mk2 is definitely a no brainier, there is not only more choice for engine and chassis mods but it will be cheaper too. Smaller tires, cheaper brakes etc.

That said, would I own a 182 as my daily car over my 200. No. Especially a stripped out, loud and rock solid track example. If I could only afford a 4k car then I would have a 182 again over anything else but definitely not as a track car as well as my daily.

I've just helped my friend buy a 182 so believe me when I say 93.6% of them are bad examples or have at least one major fault/discrepancy/issue/lie on their service book.

There are plus and minuses to both but you'll spend what you have saved getting the 172/182 up to the 197s standard.

Cheers guys, suprised this had such a good response. :smiley:

this is something that i'd love to do but, i just get caught up on my r27 lol
Lol, well, in an ideal world I would do that but I don't have the technical knowledge/understanding.

I'm unsure as to which cars were measured in PS and which were in BHP. I'll update the table if/when I figure this out.

Very tight and chuckable cars!! Will be great! Strip, bilsteins, rear ARB, ds2500's, zaust, inlets and a map will be a weapon!!
Bingo!

Shopping list is:
JP/Yozza Exhaust
Bilsteins coilovers
Wilwood 4 Pot Brake Kit
OZ Superleggera or TD 1.2 wheels
Bucket seats - dunno what yet
Half cage
Lots of awesomeness!

Dunno what tyres yet and I'll hold off the ARB until I've driven it with the above setup.

0-60 will be due to gearing - 172/182 = 5sp box !
Yeah, don't like the idea of 5 speed TBH. :worried:

Pffffff old news this is!!! :wink:
Lol well....

I think the only thing it's missing is ABS... Although, one could argue this isn't necessary on a track car.