Getting a 172 Cup | DEPOSIT DOWN! 13/05/2012

I wish I hadn't traded my 172 cup for the 197 I have now, I think whats in your shopping list is all you will need, maybe a rear ARB also? Great wee cars!!

Cheers guys, suprised this had such a good response. :smiley:

Lol, well, in an ideal world I would do that but I don't have the technical knowledge/understanding.

I'm unsure as to which cars were measured in PS and which were in BHP. I'll update the table if/when I figure this out.

Bingo!

Shopping list is:
JP/Yozza Exhaust
Bilsteins coilovers
Wilwood 4 Pot Brake Kit
OZ Superleggera or TD 1.2 wheels
Bucket seats - dunno what yet
Half cage
Lots of awesomeness!

Dunno what tyres yet and I'll hold off the ARB until I've driven it with the above setup.

Yeah, don't like the idea of 5 speed TBH. :worried:

Lol well....

I think the only thing it's missing is ABS... Although, one could argue this isn't necessary on a track car.

Good choice :wink:

Rear ARB is a must tho mate, mines on springs and it keeps it so tight and not squishy like they normally are, Just stays planted, best mod for them!!

Bin the wheels you suggested and get some Speedlines 2118s. Very Motorsport look wheel. And look so so good.

Everyone keeps saying ARB and I've seen a few come up for sale now. So what would I need? The lower rear ARB? What's the difference between that and a strut?

Cheers Martin - are they light? I was going for massive weight savings where possible.

I purchased a Sabelt wheel today. :smiley: Already got some other bits and bobs too. Can't wait! Just need the car now lol.

Everyone keeps saying ARB and I've seen a few come up for sale now. So what would I need? The lower rear ARB? What's the difference between that and a strut?

Cheers Martin - are they light? I was going for massive weight savings where possible.

I purchased a Sabelt wheel today. :smiley: Already got some other bits and bobs too. Can't wait! Just need the car now lol.

ARB stiffens the back end. Strut does nothing.

Cheers man. A strut has to do something??

Mk2 rear suspension geometry is at the rear beam, the struts in the boot just hold the rear shocks. This is why stiffening the rear beam with an ARB makes such a difference

Last edited:
Hi Tom - you are welcome to PM me for more advice if you like as you already know I owned the 172 for 3 or so years with the intention of tracking it. (see the sig)

For me the worst thing I ever did was let the 172 cup go (the 2nd rallye too!). It was one of the best hatch's ready to go on the track I have ever driven.

Don't bother with stripping 172's and 182's etc. The 172 Cup was a lot lighter already and could be lightened even further. It had a different suspension geometry and 20mm wider front track. No ABS or Traction Control, less sound deadening, thinner glass (so I was told), etc etc.

EDIT - oh I think some of your stats are a fair bit off (weights are deffo off) - I would use Renault Data if you can find it - not Parkers.

20mm wider track was from the wheel offset

not sure, remember thinking the same thing *thinking back about it... remember seeing this

20mm wider front, 10mm wider rear

the 172 cup has different front hubs and different rear stub axles

PLUS the wheel offset thing

Cheers James. I forgot you'd offered me advice before. Your comments give me much confidence and excitement for the 172!!

I'll try find some Renault brochures online tomorrow and sort out my data. :smile:

Cheers man. I'll read it all and probably send you 100 PMs lol. Cheers man. Look forward to meeting you eventually. :smile:

I was sure it was just the wheel offset until you said that. I'll do some research.

Last edited: