Getting a 172 Cup | DEPOSIT DOWN! 13/05/2012

I remember your showroom 172 Cup

IIRC it took 1 day to sell on PH

S

Hi Steve. crikey...you have a great memory. yep..Guy flew from Ireland and didn't even test drive it after seeing the thread. It took ages to find a cup that hadn't been abused.

Hi Steve. crikey...you have a great memory. yep..Guy flew from Ireland and didn't even test drive it after seeing the thread. It took ages to find a cup that hadn't been abused.

I think I follow all the good cars on PH

I actually remember houses as well now-

Like this 200-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3838243.htm

I remember this owner selling his BG 182 before this 200
the BG has something silly like 10k on it- !!

Steve

I think I follow all the good cars on PH

I actually remember houses as well now-

Like this 200-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3838243.htm

I remember this owner selling his BG 182 before this 200
the BG has something silly like 10k on it- !!

Steve

That's a good buy.
Very similar to the 200 I have brought. Only had (*edit) 4.9k miles on it and was only just over 12 months old. I managed to get it for close to 12k from a Renault dealer! I've only done around a 1000 miles so far in 8 months so I'll let you know when I decide to change it.

I got so much for the 2nd Rallye as it was 10 years old but only had 39k on it and 1 owner.

I shall also be coming to you when I look for something new - you get some great stock in.

Last edited:
oh and Tom - another thing you need to think about - Insurance!

I had a hell of a game trying to get Insurance - a lot of companies won't touch the cup mainly because of the lack of ABS (and therefore chance of an accident)

It's actually on the black list for a lot of companies along with cars like the Lotus Elise/Exige etc etc - so make sure you find somewhere that will cover you first!

Luckily I was with a Motorsport insurer Richard Egger.

Oh... Good call! I will!!! Cheers man. If I can't get insured for the lack of ABS I may go down the 182 route...

Oh... Good call! I will!!! Cheers man. If I can't get insured for the lack of ABS I may go down the 182 route...

Probably not all down to that -it's the overall nature of the car I think as well. I'm sure there are quite few accidents recorded for 172 cups!

Deposit down - 172 cup ETA in two weeks. :smiley:

Similar to James_h, I got a mechanically sound one that just needs a few minor scratches removed. :smiley:

Picutues and more info to come in due corse.

You won't see it much until I get it finished - may even SORN it whilst I work on it. There will be plenty of pics though and no doubt a progress thread. :smiley:

I will let you have a go when it's done though!

My Sabelt wheel also arived yesterday. Very awesome. :smiley:

Lol I've not even thought about what I'll get with that yet. Either coilies or cage.... :smiley:

I must say I've came up against 2 182 over the time I've had the cup and i would honestly say I destroyed both of them in a straight line and into corners but I am defo looking forward to seeing this 172 cup ready to go

Last edited:
Congrats mate!! you won't regret it - so chuffed for you.

172 cup is a completely different beast to any other 1*2/197/200. It's quite raw and can take some controlling (especially when braking at speed - no ABS!)

Wait till you feel how stiff it is in the corners, especially at speed. I used to think I was going to lift all 4 wheels sideways sometimes it was that stiff (I don't think the rear Bilsteins helped!)

need pictures now
Sorry man. Keeping all the details on the down-low (lol did I just... Yeah, I did lol) until I'm driving her home 'cause I don't want it to get pinched from under my nose or anything.

Bilsteins mate!! + rear ARB=Go-kart!!!
No doubt! :smiley:

I must say I've came up against 2 182 over the time I've had the cup and i would honestly say I destroyed both of them in a straight line and into corners but I am defo looking forward to seeing this 172 cup ready to go
Really? I've been really really pressing the 197 at times and struggled to get away from the 172s, etc. In January at the Red Lion meet, my mate in his Type R thought they'd been modded 'cause he couldn't shake 'em... Maybe we don't drive hard enough lol.

Congrats mate!! you won't regret it - so chuffed for you.

172 cup is a completely different beast to any other 1*2/197/200. It's quite raw and can take some controlling (especially when braking at speed - no ABS!)

Wait till you feel how stiff it is in the corners, especially at speed. I used to think I was going to lift all 4 wheels sideways sometimes it was that stiff (I don't think the rear Bilsteins helped!)
Cheers man. It was your thread that put me over the tipping point to just buy one now. I read every post on Friday lol - great thread.

This one I have is similar, it seems. A bit of TLC and she'll be a minter. :smiley: Can't wait to get it down to a track and start ploughing £££ into it. :smiley: