Gearbox/clutch woes...it's only day 3 of ownership :(

Hi all

So I collected my '61 plate 200 on Saturday and all initially seemed well. However, on the first cold start the next day I literally could not select any gear. Dipping the clutch and moving the gearstick round did nothing. It just felt like a concrete slab was in the way.

I started applying a bit more force but it just did not feel right so I stopped and waited for a minute. After about 3 or 4 mins of idling I eventually managed to get it in 1st and set off. All subsequent gearchanges seemed OK but 1st was a bit tricky about a mile up the road.

Before starting up tonight at work I went through all the gears and everything was perfect, but as soon as I started the car then tried to engage a gear I couldn't. Locked solid again. This time was worse and it was about 5 mins before I got going.

I can't believe the last owner has just let this go. It's only done 14k and is still in warranty until the end of Nov so I have booked it in for a day at the Renault garage. Here's hoping they cold start it later in the day because if so they cannot deny there is a big problem here.

Seems like a few others have had similar symptoms but with varying fixes, from oil changes to new clutches and even new gearboxes. Really frustrating, but once up and running the gearbox feels good. No crunching or anything.

Hi and welcome. What your describing is normal, to an extent. It is most likely oil related. These boxes seem to be very sensitive to the oil, and a lot of us have to change gearbox oil on a fairly regular basis. As your car is 3 years old, I would suggest a trip to the dealer, where they will change the gearbox oil, as the first call. There are literally hundreds of posts of this subject, and if you have not joined the club, the £5 fee opens up lots and lots of useful information and is the best money you will spend.

It's very common, I've currently been suffering this, I bled the clutch, seems to have done the trick, where did you buy your 200?

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes I have paid membership.

I bought the car from an independent garage in Chorley. I have not rung the guy back as I wanted to deal with Renault quickly whilst it's still under warranty.

I did have the oil changed on my 197 and it made a hell of a difference. Never had anything like this though on my old car. I am going to start it whilst in gear tomorrow and see if I can set off and get into 2nd with no problems.

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes I have paid membership.

I bought the car from an independent garage in Chorley. I have not rung the guy back as I wanted to deal with Renault quickly whilst it's still under warranty.

I did have the oil changed on my 197 and it made a hell of a difference. Never had anything like this though on my old car. I am going to start it whilst in gear tomorrow and see if I can set off and get into 2nd with no problems.

Bit of Fuchs and you'll be right. Won't help until you've driven it about 20-50 miles though and then you'll feel a difference. Mines the same, I get beeped and flashed at all the time but if I ram it in gear with the clutch depressed; even for a while, it still grinds so don't force it. Let the baby warm up.

OK, so my plan of action is a gearbox oil change tomorrow at my dad's garage (sounds like this is what Renault would do anyway from you chaps). Then if that doesn't fix it I will keep my appointment with Renault for further investigation.

I wouldn't touch it until it has been back to Renault.

They will try to blame you changing the oil as the cause!

Got in the car today after leaving it a couple of days and it was a total nightmare...no gears selectable at all. Found a couple of videos on cliosport showing exactly the same thing, and horror story after horror story...

Once I got going I drove 3 miles to a hand car wash. When I was asked to move up the line guess what? Yep...no gears selectable at all. How embarrassing was that? Was about to get a push and call the breakdown people but ended up forcing the b*astard into first and sped off like a madman. Once I was on the move it seemed FINE.

I've just sat here and written a huge long note to Renault UK informing them of my chagrin and the fact that I will be off to my local dealer pronto. My car is in warranty until 23rd Nov...

I'm no mechanic but I'm erring towards thinking it might be a clutch problem as sometimes the thing feels slick and lovely between gears, others it's a bit notchy or I can't get a gear at all.

I had similar issues to you with my car where it wouldn't go into gear or sometimes get it out of gear. Took a while to diagnose as it first started to happen when doing track days so we first thought it was the fluid boiling. First real obvious sign of the problem was a low brake fluid warning and then a catastrophic failure at Snetterton with brake fluid leaking out and loss of clutch. Turns out the slave cylinder had gone pop covering the clutch plates in fluid. The slave must have been on it's way out for some time. All good now it is repaired and no further issues at track days :smile:

I heard slave cylinders can be a weak point too. Soon as one of those needs replacing isn't it a whole new clutch job? If Renault say it's clutch related then can they force me to pay claiming it may have been abused in the past?

Definitely was this time as the friction plates were soaked in brake fluid. I have no idea about Renault warranty as mine was well out of it. Renault were extremely unhelpful to my garage when the new replacement clutch disintegrated within a few days and would not cover the labour costs of the garage (I did not have to pay).

Car is currently at Renault and has been since Wednesday night. They called Thursday morning to say they confirmed that they couldn't select a gear and the first step in diagnosis is to change gearbox oil. Awaiting a call for what happens next...