Gearbox Removal and/or Clutch Change Guide

J90RDN

Paid Member
Hi. I have the front suspension, subframe and radiator currently removed from the car. In the short 10 mile drive I had in the car I noticed the normal crunch into 3rd. It is likely the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time, so this is going to be done, and I'm also replacing the mounts with powerflex black in next few weeks.

While the car is stripped I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to break the gearbox from the engine and have a good inspection (mileage is 113k and 11 years old). Inspect the clutch, release bearing, slave cylinder etc. I've noticed a weep between the engine and box, so guess this could either be slave cylinder or RMS?

Any advise welcome. I'm used to working with RWD cars so this would be first FWD gearbox I've removed. Any pointers to guides would also be welcome (have searched but not found anything).

Hi. I have the front suspension, subframe and radiator currently removed from the car. In the short 10 mile drive I had in the car I noticed the normal crunch into 3rd. It is likely the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a long time, so this is going to be done, and I'm also replacing the mounts with powerflex black in next few weeks.

While the car is stripped I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to break the gearbox from the engine and have a good inspection (mileage is 113k and 11 years old). Inspect the clutch, release bearing, slave cylinder etc. I've noticed a weep between the engine and box, so guess this could either be slave cylinder or RMS?

Any advise welcome. I'm used to working with RWD cars so this would be first FWD gearbox I've removed. Any pointers to guides would also be welcome (have searched but not found anything).
If it crunches into third it needs synchros. No amount of oil changes will cure it. If box is coming out do the clutch too. You will see oil leak too then

Thanks - as much as I'd love that, the whole car didn't cost me much more, so will have to pass.