Gearbox/clutch woes...it's only day 3 of ownership :(

Sounds like the "gear selector" issue I had before... The bushes on the gearbox where the selector cables join get very worn. They need to be kept lubricated.

Just skimmed the thread but doesn't look like you've had the clutch and slave done yet? Do it!!

Mine was exactly like this, tried the usual Fuchs fluid change - no difference (as you keep experiancing). I've just recently had a new clutch and slave (genuine Renault) - now it is silky smooth even on the coldest of days over winter.
Mine was stubbon from when I picked it up at 13k miles, started to really get bad at about 20k (i.e getting stuck on the garage forecourt!) and my clutch change was done at 30k. Now on 33k and not a single issue since.

That's good news and pretty fortunate in the end that it happened when it did! Hopefully the clutch work will be authorised and you can get to actually enjoy the car.

Cheers guys, yeah hopefully I have had a break this time. Rich: I told them on day one I thought it was a clutch issue, but what do I know...

Renault UK have been good to be fair, but it's just taken so long to get moving. Gearbox is out now and they are going to call me tomorrow with an update.

So the news is that it is a "clutch bearing" that is worn. The strip down means it needs a new clutch kit, total job cost £1046.

As it is a bearing, my warranty (typically) doesn't cover it. However, as it's been such a pain in the neck to get this far, Renault UK has offered to pay 85%, leaving me with a £160 bill and a 12 month guarantee on a new clutch.

I've decided to accept the offer to get the whole saga done with. Seems like a very good offer from them, but I'm still unsure why the garage didn't find a dodgy bearing 6 months ago when they put the new gearbox in??

Anywhoo, looking forward to getting the car (might even be today) and having a proper drive!!

So the news is that it is a "clutch bearing" that is worn. The strip down means it needs a new clutch kit, total job cost £1046.

As it is a bearing, my warranty (typically) doesn't cover it. However, as it's been such a pain in the neck to get this far, Renault UK has offered to pay 85%, leaving me with a £160 bill and a 12 month guarantee on a new clutch.

I've decided to accept the offer to get the whole saga done with. Seems like a very good offer from them, but I'm still unsure why the garage didn't find a dodgy bearing 6 months ago when they put the new gearbox in??

Anywhoo, looking forward to getting the car (might even be today) and having a proper drive!!

good result but just shows that whenever the box is out it is always best to change the clutch assembly including the release bearing in most cases...

Good result and decent of Renault to contribute. It's a shame it's dragged on, but hopefully it won't spoil your enjoyment of the car.

So I now have a new gearbox and new clutch, basically it feels like a new car. Gear selection seems OK so far, bit hesitant at higher revs but I'm hoping that's just newness...

And you wonder why they stuck an automatic box in the new 200T, if just to stop all the old gearboxes failing

Somehow the 197's here in South Africa have given less problems than the 200's... Do you think driving style has a lot to do with it?

Glad ypu got all this sorted :thumbup: tho i was wondering, when i got my new gearbox from renault its came with a new slave cylinder on it.

Glad ypu got all this sorted :thumbup: tho i was wondering, when i got my new gearbox from renault its came with a new slave cylinder on it.

Did they not tell you exactly what they did? When they put my new gearbox on they said the clutch showed no signs of wear, so they put it back on. Stupid, really........