Clutch/ gearbox issues

R27WTF

Paid Member
Hi

After some advice really.

2 weeks ago I had my gearbox rebuilt and a new gripped fitted, whilst it was out I put a new clutch kit in with a new slave.

Did around 10 miles in the car and all was good. Took the car to spa last week and whilst out on track I was struggling to get gears. I put it down to driving style at first in the new car (not fully pressing the clutch in etc) I moved my seat forward slightly for the last session and 2 laps in the clutch wouldn’t engage to let me select gear.

The pedal feels okay it’s not solid doesn’t drop to the floor or anything like that. When I got home I noticed the plastic clip with the bleed Nipple on had a slight weep so thought brilliant swapped it over bled the clutch and all was fine for about 50 miles and it stopped again same issue. If now re bled the clutch and it’s still not working? There is no visible leaks etc the fluid level is good.

Any ideas?

Reactions: tombate911
are you getting full stroke on the master cylinder been a few go faulty causing issues

are you getting full stroke on the master cylinder been a few go faulty causing issues

The pedal feels okay. How can I test? If i pump the pedal quickly a few times it will then engage the clutch but soon as it’s let go it won’t engage again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pedal feels okay. How can I test? If i pump the pedal quickly a few times it will then engage the clutch but soon as it’s let go it won’t engage again.

If you're getting gears after you pump it, it sounds like it's got or getting air in the system mate. Have you tried pressure bleeding it? Only other option is to back bleed it.

Reactions: tombate911
If you're getting gears after you pump it, it sounds like it's got or getting air in the system mate. Have you tried pressure bleeding it? Only other option is to back bleed it.

There’s no leaks at all and pulled about 150ml through with no air bubbles. Can’t use a pressure bleeder on it as I’m running a bias valve on the brakes and was told not to use one.

It’s odd how it was find then just went

There’s no leaks at all and pulled about 150ml through with no air bubbles. Can’t use a pressure bleeder on it as I’m running a bias valve on the brakes and was told not to use one.

It’s odd how it was find then just went

Did you pre fill the slave with fluid before you fitted it to prime it? I know they can cause endless amounts of grief if this isn't done as the air can get trapped in the slave itself.

Did you pre fill the slave with fluid before you fitted it to prime it? I know they can cause endless amounts of grief if this isn't done as the air can get trapped in the slave itself.

I don’t believe he did. But would this cause the issue to happen after around 60-100 miles?

I don’t believe he did. But would this cause the issue to happen after around 60-100 miles?

If the air is trapped in the slave, I'm afraid so mate, as you can't compress air like fluid.

Try and back bleed it if you can.

So could have had air in then from the beginning. What’s the Best way to back bleed it?

So could have had air in then from the beginning. What’s the Best way to back bleed it?

Yes mate.

To back bleed you need a oil can (the type that you pump with your thumb) filled with brake fluid. Attach it to the bleed nipple with rubber pipe and make sure that there's fluid running out of the hose before you attach it. You'll need an assistant to watch the reservoir level and for air bubbles coming to the surface.

Pump the fucker and don't run out of oil! Lol, otherwise you'll be in a world of pain!

Alternatively get a big syringe and fill it with brake fluid. The process is the same as above.