Gearbox/clutch woes...it's only day 3 of ownership :(

The dealer told me today the gearbox oil made no difference and it needs a new gearbox.

Renault should authorize it on Monday and they will do the work.

The dealer told me today the gearbox oil made no difference and it needs a new gearbox.

Renault should authorize it on Monday and they will do the work.

Could have told them that from here... well at least it'll be sorted. They're never great boxes anyway in Renaults but they should at least work, my meg hates 1st to 2nd if you trail the throttle at all for example but it's fine other than that.

The world of Renaults :smile:

It's a shame that your 200 ownership should start with a negative, but it's good news that Renault are paying for it and getting it sorted.

They haven't authorized it yet, will do on Monday, but there shouldn't be any trouble.

And yeah, the gearbox oil thing was just the first point of action on their list. Attempt a cheap fix first!

Collected the car on Wednesday. Good news was the dealer only took two days to fit the new box, bad news was I couldn't even leave the forecourt as I still couldn't get a gear .____. The clutch felt strange when I depressed it.

I went back in the showroom in disbelief and a mechanic came out and sat it my car and quickly realized it wasn't fixed. He took it in and bled the clutch, went round the block and said it was OK for now but clearly the gearbox wasn't at fault and there is a clutch master cylinder problem. Dropped the car off again last night for them to fit one and I am collecting it on Saturday.

Still can't believe a 2k gearbox was authorized when a more simple diagnosis of the clutch components wasn't undertaken??

So they changed the gearbox but did not fit a new clutch and slave cylinder? Is this a main dealer or independent garage as they don't sound very good.

So they changed the gearbox but did not fit a new clutch and slave cylinder? Is this a main dealer or independent garage as they don't sound very good.

It's not part of the job, of course it'd be best practice but warranty work defaults to replace minimal parts.

Exactly. I did ask at the time about the clutch and they said it was fine so it was going back on! It's a Renault main dealer.

Extended the warranty yesterday for another year.

Clearance on modern clutches is minimal, typical dealer, wrong diagnosis. If the car selects gear with the engine off, it must be the bit between the engine and the gearbox. It may just be air in the clutch system as the Clutch will have plenty of meat on it. Or the springs on the clutch plate have gone soft, due to excessive heat, town driving or racing starts. I bled my clutch after being told my clutch needed replacing at a cost of £1600, but Renault we're going to pay half. Anyway, an hour or so under the car and a total fluid change, 10000 miles later, my gearshift is a lot better than it left the stealer.

Apparently Renault throw boxes in left right and centre, when it is not the box, it can be linkage setup, but more likely to be Clutch related after a number of miles due to clearance between the clutch release and the plate. The oil causes problems due to the materials used on the baulk rings which causes them to stick together, it maybe that good old ATF fluid may sort this out, looking for a culprit, volunteer, with a bad/crunchy box to try this.

You guys seem to know a lot more than the people messing about with my car!

Was supposed to collect the car for the second time yesterday only they told me not to bother coming in...there's still something wrong. So that's new gearbox plus master cylinder fitted so far.

Could it not be a selector cable issue? I was getting mild resistance (nothing as serious as yours sounds) from my gearbox (new clutch as I obliterated the old one) and my mechanic just sprayed some lubricant on the cable bushings.. my car felt brand new when I left there...

Just a suggestion...
Hope it helps, and that your car gets sorted soon.

Peace

Well 6 months on and with one new gearbox fitted, I am still no further forward.

Been dealing with Renault Head Office and have been back to the dealer 4 times. Because it's an intermittent problem, each time they keep bleeding the clutch and then sending me on my way. In the latest episode, the Service Manager witnessed it refusing to go in gear himself, expressed surprise and then promised me it would be fixed this time, only for me to get a call on Monday morning saying that his chief mechanic had been unable to replicate the problem, and so the car was ready for collection. I'm positive it needs a new clutch (faulty slave), and that's the diagnosis I have had from 2 independents. The dealer told me the clutch had zero wear, so when they fitted my new box they just put it back on.

I've gone ballistic with Head Office on phone and e-mail, but of course they aren't going to do a huge clutch job if they say they can't replicate the fault. I'm just caught now in the middle of a total mess. I haven't been able to drive this car properly since I bought it.

I told the dealer to park my car round the back and leave it for 5 days, then start it up and see what happens. It definitely gets worse the more it is left.

Anyone have any advice on what to do next? This nonsense could seemingly go on forever, going back and forth and them just bleeding the damned clutch.

Last edited:
What about recording it on your phone next time you have the issue and sending them the video?

Leave it with them for a few days, take the keys with you and then go back and do it with them, get the service manager and head mechanic there to witness, and record it.

Looks like I might have had a bit of "luck" this time. When I went to get the car on Tuesday they said it had behaved perfectly for a week. They brought it round for me, but when I got in it I couldn't get a gear! This time the Service Manager and the mechanic both saw it and took turns trying to get it going for 5 minutes, after which they both acknowledged a serious problem.

They called me today to say it's going to be taken to bits again and a new clutch kit has been ordered...