Frozen rear brakes

Just an update. 2 new handbrake cables fitted today, looking at the old ones they were letting in water and rusting and abit stiff. Also cleaned the pads and caliper and copper greased. Should hopefully solve the getting stuck problem.

Just an update. 2 new handbrake cables fitted today, looking at the old ones they were letting in water and rusting and abit stiff. Also cleaned the pads and caliper and copper greased. Should hopefully solve the getting stuck problem.

That should work.
Mine stuck nearly every cold night last year. My handbrake ended the winter on the roof (With my handle pointing to the sky lol). I stripped my rear brakes and had a dodgy cable replaced and I've not had them stick once.

Discovered the cable had popped off of the back of the lever on one side. Thankfully a cheap fix.

Thursday just gone, mine froze and stuck (rear brakes). The hand brake had no resistance. Brakes stuck and free'd half mile down road. I rang Harrats in Wakey and then looked at it then afternoon to discover the handbrake had fraid and was hardly hanging on and the cold temperatures added to this...they tightened it up and jobs a good un!

I'm pretty sure the secondary job of a handbrake is to release the brake when you take/turn it off.

I can't think of another car i've ever owned where i've been advised not to use the handbrake, but to leave it parked in gear, or even to clean a brake system once a year!

If thats necessary then thats a badly designed system.

It was a common problem on my alfa 145 and these questions are asked every winter, the answers were allways about the same as on here, leave off the handbrake.

The problem, seems to be the same on the clio, is that the handbrake cables are sealed but over time water can get in and then freezes this time of year.