Flacsi's Racing Red 197

Guys, AST set was installed yesterday, sits nice and low, but!

I have OEM RS wheels, 17" ET68, which is causing the issue as you can
see in the attched pictures, but let me try to summarize it:

First picture left side: the "L" item/bracket where the front ARB rod is
connected is reaching the wheel in full left/right position- marked
white.

On the right side: the round item, inbus in the middle is also
reaching the wheel in full left/right position - marked white

18413500541_46b8cd5fe2_h.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

Last edited:
Also attaching images, what it caused for my wheels.

Currently the car is not moveable, as I do not want to damage my wheels
and its not safe to drive, imagine if I spin on Hungaroring and wheels
are full locked and wheel-rod-tyres are breaking...

18385902632_66ee06d44a_h.jpgAST by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

18202293250_bb48d1dc62_h.jpgAST by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

18389994675_d50bb9ba31_h.jpgAST by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

Last edited:
Rene use a 2 sided tape and glue it there, see my earlier pic, sure its there.

Any comment on my AST issue guys? :worried:

Only quick fix I can think of is fitting a set of wheel spacers (which I don't like using but may be necessary).
Other than that you would have to reduce the amount of camber your running which would be a shame.

Last edited:
thanks Steve!

we tried yesterday with Speedline Turini 7J ET41, no issue with them, due to ET41.

another idea from @simo: many thx for that:
possibly the 2 front shocks have been installed in the wrong order: what is on the front right it should go to left and same for the other one.
and the change would result in more space between the L bracket and the wheel!

Last edited:
Yes a set of the 17" Speedlines or the 18" A&D or Megane II wheels would solve the problem due to the offset.

Although its only a quick/cheap fix a set of spacers will do the same job in the mean time enabling you to drive the car at least.

Yours is not the first Clio 197/200 I have seen with rubbing issues when fitting coilovers due to the suspension design.

Last edited:
Rene use a 2 sided tape and glue it there, see my earlier pic, sure its there.

Any comment on my AST issue guys? :worried:

My AST's are old design (this is for megane but You get an idea):
attachment.php

but had a rubbing issue myself, although only with Cup racer rims fitted (8' wide compared to 7,5' of OEM ones).
Fitting 5 mm spacers from Renault Sport on front axle (Cup racer part) helped a little but still rubs at full lock.
You could try fitting additional spacers from Renault Sport (again, solution from a Cup car) that are mounted on the steering rack that limits travel lock to lock. As a result Your wheel stops before it comes into contact with a coilover but as a drawback You'll have bigger turning radius but it doesn't matter on a race track, does it?

wheel spacers (nr.19 - prices in EUR excluding VAT)
attachment.php

part nr.4
attachment.php

I will have wider front suspension setup from cup racer (including a rack - already supplied with those spacers) on mine which in turn causes rubbing on the fenders and front bumper so also in need of those spacers.
That's all that comes into my mind apart from complaining to AST about their front coilover design.
Good luck.

Attachments

• renault-megane-3-rs-250-cv-ast-sportline-2-serie-5100.jpg
    renault-megane-3-rs-250-cv-ast-sportline-2-serie-5100.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 327
  • spacers 2.JPG
    spacers 2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 331
  • spacers 1.jpg
    spacers 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
[MENTION=4111]jacool[/MENTION] /Jacek, many thx for your detailed answer! Can you contact me?
Your mailbox is full, can not send you e-mail :worried:

Yeah but why would that happen in the first place? I'm running ASTs with OZs with no problem at all, irrespective of camber used. I can only think that AST changed the kit to the worse???? I would fire a complain to them

Here you are some old pics of mine

null-15.jpg
16f7e2c7.jpg
cdf342ef.jpg
e78a31c2.jpg
557b6018.jpg

Yes, @Yiannis: AST changed the design, there is an L bracket on mine:worried:
ordered the OZ ultras 17" 8J ET55 in white, hope will work with it, as these wheels are not on stock, was unable to try&fit before ordering :worried:
if not working, I would have to order spacers and bolts, which would be an extra cost again:worried:

honestly a bit fed up, only feel the bad side of this upgrade: has to invest further €1k on wheels, have to borrow wheels even to try the AST, can not lift her with a normal jack...