Flacsi's Racing Red 197

Guys, would you advise me what suspension kit is worth to invest for track-day use?

I have a non-cup 197, so anything would be an improvement, but as I can see/read, lot are being used here!
Like KW Clubsport for 2k GBP, Bilstein Clubsport or Koni with H&R springs.

However as I can see the Clio R3 Acces is using a Bilstein damper and springs section 32.01 and 34.01 as per the attached link:
http://www.renaultsport.com/IMG/pdf/clio_iii_r3_en.pdf

The usual choices here are AST, H&R, KW V3/Clubsport and now Bilstein. Additionally Madeno have a Bilstein setup using rear coilovers and they also do a few options with different springs and valve rates on the normal Bilstein kit.

Known spring rates here for the usual stuff.

I haven't seen anyone using the Access setup, but the spring rates look like it'll be a decent trackday setup though. My only reservation on the Access stuff would be checking it had a decent level of anti corrosion as being a motorsport kit it might not?

Thx for the link for the Bilstein b14 thread, found it really useful! I guess the b14 would be a pocket friendly solution, as its around 1/3rd of the price of ohlins/kW clubsport coil overs!

Few pictures from yesterday's track day at Hungaroring, ended up fourth place in street category, weight of the little one was 1206 kg with 3/4 tank, great driving, lots of fun, but can not beat my PB, I think the tyres are too old for this, pls enjoy:
16497647644_5557bf294f_h.jpgHungaroring by Fl@csi, on Flickr

17120099805_fca9ce43a3_h.jpgHungaroring by Fl@csi, on Flickr

Impressions on the Quaife differential:

I had a feeling that both wheels have grip, when leaving the corner, after the apex
the grip was parallel, like something pulls with a winch
I was able to accelerate earlier from the corners
I was able to steer the car within the curve more precisely
no heavy steering wheel reaction, have to say nothing at all
however I can not improve my lap-time

Would Simo, Rene and others share their impression on Quaife?

Since your best lap, what else have you done on the car and in which state were the tires?

I found the LSD great, but if you want to utilize it 100%, you have to turn off the ESP/ASR.

You can test it out in the roundabouts. I found them great for testing the LSD. :smiley:

i run my best lap with fresh Toyo R888s.
Since than the UR bars, Proex exhaust, lightweight battery and Quaife were installed.

the current rally slicks -posted above- are at their end-of-life, old like the road.

About remapping, where have you done yours? At Renault service? Hungary is a joke, there is no demand for it, so I have no idea whom to take my car for re-mapping:worried:

When the Proex exhaust was installed mid July 2014, I asked for a dyno before and after to see the result, which is:
before Proex 185 bhp
with Proex 189 bhp

as it's a naturally aspirated engine, the result or let say the small gain was not a surprise, honestly I do not feel the difference, but the fun factor is there definitely!

Remap would help, guys or do not even bother?

14737185591_d50d474ad5_k.jpgDyno by Fl@csi, on Flickr

Don't bother Tamas, I wouldn't take my car to someone who doesn't know how to map it properly. Leave it as it is:smile: Spent your money on tyres, it looks that you need a set lol

Bit of a research on suspension, guys as I think we are at the same shoes: building our cars for time-attacks/track-days.

level1:
Bilstein B14 is a ride height adjustable coilover used in Toyota GT86 TRD also, pretty similar to KW V1, it cost around €1k

level2:
parallel setting of the rebound and compression phases, like Bilstein B16 and KW V3, AST 5100 cost around €2k

level 3: KW Clubsport €2.4 Bilstein Clubsport, Ohlins R&T, R3 Access - price unknown

So do we need a coilover, which only lowers our car OR if we invest, would it be better to invest more so we can change the rebound and compressions also?
Or its all about money, again?

Bilstein in confirmed the b16 kit is available for RS 197, where the rebound and compression are adjustable, waiting for the price

AST 5100 would cost €1,945

called Renaultsport in France and they will send how much would cost the R3 Access coil over kit

i will choose one from these 3!

anyone knows how to order from Renaultsport? Lady said only through a dealer, and I would not be surprise if there is none in Hungary

Last edited:
Pictures look good! I like the black front, bonnet and roof personally :smile:

I'll be interested in which coilover you decide to go for.. I'm browsing for them at the moment too and can't decide either!

I can advise you or ast (with your topmount i think they fit.. right @Yiannis197 ?) or kw clubsport with their topmount.
i know that ast can change spring ratio at the order.. 80/110 or 90/110 if i remember well can be the best choice.
i dont know the kw clubsport what spring rate has...