Falling out with the 197

Ive had an R32 supercharged and currently have an 08 S3 on the drive,

R32 is the better of the two for both driving thrills and theatre, but the S3 is frankly boring to me, the S3 has a 310 bhp remap and is electric in a staight line but its lardy of the lights not as well built as people asume and nowhere near as fun as the 197,

Sirrocco R is the one to have now i think from the VAG range,

Haldex 4wd is hugely overated even when you upgrade to the performance haldex, just get some snow tires for the clio :wink:

At least the S3 can get you off the drive without breaking lol.

My 197 spends most its life in the dealers, and thats not very exciting...

R32... A bore fest with a vw badge on the front and no character.

Get yourself a Megane 250, or a Scirrocco and tune it.

I test drove (extended test drive) a Golf GTi Edition 30, and I was litterally bored to tears. It had that DSG box which made the experience even more boring.

Not worth changing to snow tyres for the 3 days a year we get it! I also want a car with more than 4 cylinders, so even if I had the money for a Scirocco R I wouldn't want one.

The 197 is not a car for anybody,it's special.

If you don't like it because it has shown a few problems,then you don't deserve it.

You don't just drive a 197, you work it.

Like what your saying. Too much 197 bashing here, good job she's in the garage and cant hear :smile:

I've not driven one so can't comment on the R32...but the sound they make! wowww.

S3s are quick but they're not invulnerable. I have a mate who has had a few problems with his.

At least the S3 can get you off the drive without breaking lol.

My 197 spends most its life in the dealers, and thats not very exciting...
Cant be very exciting not revving past 6k, each to their own and all, but why buy a car desinged to be thrashed, tune it and then not thrash it? Seems pointless, and as stated the power don't really kick in till 5k,

my own opinion and not a dig before folk jump on a bandwagon.

LoL you seem to be getting a bit of stick for wanting some thing that works.. Only people who have driven one of the constant broken 197's would understand why it annoys you.. I have been looking alot more recently as its just a joke that the 197 breaks that much for some.. i would rather have a boring car than one in renault all the time.. :tongueout:

Go for the choice of car you want.. Every one has a difference of option them and the S3 is lovely.. although i would be bitting the hand of for a RS4 or 6 :smiley:

I'm currently looking for an R32 to replace mine. Well into my forties now and need to grow up a bit!

That and the fact that every time it snows I have to leave the Clio down the road, due to it's inability to go up a hill in inclement weather! :@!

I,m 50 and i love mine

Donna understands obviously, seeing as she seems to have one of the 'bad egg' 1972 too.

Its almost as if as soon as you fix one problem anothers waiting in line, thats not any way to enjoy a car!

Donna understands obviously, seeing as she seems to have one of the 'bad egg' 1972 too.

Its almost as if as soon as you fix one problem anothers waiting in line, thats not any way to enjoy a car!

Yeah thats why mines is called friday :smiley:

I get stuck in a rut with mines.. it breaks, gets fixed and then breaks again. gets boring. Dont get me wrong i love mines when it works but it never seems to go that long just working.

Ben, calm down dear, it's just a 197!!!

It could be far worse, believe you me.

Sell it and I will slap you :smile::smile::smile:
ESPECIALLY for an Audi!

:smile::smile::smile:

Sorry to hear about the car Ben. I know how frustrating it is when your pride and joy is constantly playing up.

I think you've just been unlucky mate...How about a Honda if you want to stay N/A or maybe a 350Z...

Bar-humbug or far-too-smug?

I don't recognise any of these complaints about the 197...

Mine has only 12k on it and, as far as I know, has not been modified.

No worn seats, flaking alloys, 'creaky dash', flat spots... all electrics etc work fine... It is a lovely car!:thumbup:

It has enough low range torque to drive about like a normal 2Lcar... & , so long as you see the green light b4 you change gear... enough 'go' to treat most 'B' road traffic as irrelevent.

Personaly, I don't get all this 'mucking about with it'. Take it as it is... as it is meant to be, and it will treat you well.

Renault spent millions developing a reliable, fast road car... or...

Maybe I am just lucky not to have bought a 'Friday car?'

A flick on the nitrous switch will make anyone want to modify. The reason i risk the reliability is because I can blow away the poncy ****s in their new foucs rs and that puts a big smile on my face.

But you can blow them away anyway... The 197 far out-handles the Fk-Ars ST (& a lot of higher powered cars) ...& as you say, most Fk-Ars RS drivers are ponces anyway.

Learning to drive better makes you far quicker than any mods (I don't know you, no offence ment)... & certinately quicker than most Fk-Ars Rs drivers.(they are usually over 50 & have thier wife in the car telling them to slow down any way!)

And, as you live in South Essex too, you must realise that you 'stand out' in a far more subtle & respected way in your 197 than some c*ck in his (all too common) asbo fk-Ars! with all it's 'Halfords' plastics!...(The Twingo has gone a bit like that though with it's weird fog light surrounds!)

Let me know if you fancy a run around the roads round here... perhaps get a few 197s together one Sunday arvo?...

Couldnt agree more...

There are several Focus RS's around where i live... hell ill admit, i was close to getting one! But i held back after realising i would be spending 33grand and only ending up with a Focus.

The salesmen said they were selling 6-7 a month of the things! :blush: And at one point there were 5 sat in their front window!

Anyway, 99% of them are owned by yuppies and posers as a status symbol and dont know their arsehole from their earhole... one i know, wont bring it out in the rain... because its a "high performance car".... strewth...

same goes for the GT-R... on the last count there are now 6 that regularly hang around the Mansfield/North Notts area... every single one driven by numptys wth rich daddies.

I,m 50 and i love mine

I love mine too, I just find it a little one-dimensional. I only really like it when I'm driving it in maximum attack mode and you can't do that all the time. When you're on a straight bit of motorway or stuck in traffic it suddenly becomes rather tiresome with its low gearing, dronesome exhaust note, bumpy ride etc. You can't always be on a twisty, smooth surfaced B road on a dry day in the Clio and that's the only place it's any good.