Engine stall .....

Hi , i drove the 197 a bit faster than i should and after i slowed down and start driving with like 50km/h , couple of km later the car just stall .... all sort of warning lights came on : Brake fault , ABS fault , ESP fault , Second air bag fault , etc . When i turn the contact on the engine fan start working and the steering wheel servo , the temp gauge is not moving , all other duals start ticking , and there is no starting the motor .... not even a click ....
I tried to reboot the comp by unplugging the battery , push the car a bit to jump start it .... the battery finally died.

What i am thinking is that the servo only work when the electric generator is working ... which is when the engine is working .... so the car thinks that it is working .... also the engine fan is working like 1 hour later when i towed the car back home .....
I have interface to connect it but the battery is dead now and charging ..... any ideas what to look for ?
Checked the oil .... it is there , i always drive maxed out . The coolant was not overheated , all belts are there ... no holes in the engine block .... the car was running fine .....

Yhea , my mechanic told me the same ... , but why the car wont start .... i jump start it with another car , it wont turn the engine and try to start? Why the fan start spinning while the engine is dead cold ?
I am a rally driver and i am training with it constantly .... i have no problems with it , maybe this time i drove it too much .... i really trashed it :worried:

So your saying the engine refuses to turn over, as in its seized? If so you'd have to expect cambelt failure? alot of the pre-gen F4Rs in the 182 suffer from cambelt failure in neglected models?

Been a few reports of con-rod failures too on the 197. We need more info really mate. Sounds like you have electrics but car wont start. Drain oil and check for foreign particles. Try turning it over on the crank pulley manually to check for resistance/jamming.

But if you got all those warnings on the dash i would suspect an electronic control fault over a mechanical issue.

2008 , 60 000 km .... wich is like 20 000 something miles , i had cambelt replaced at 50 000 km , Oil is Motul 300 V power with Bardal racing lubricant addet , I also think it is electrick problem , the car didnt shaked , or worked uneven , it just stalled .... and it is refusing to "try" to start.

I should work for renault , i cant remmember how many times i ripped off the engine of the engine mounts on the rally car. I snaped the front engine supporting beams , even ripped the engine mount from the dogbox :smile: I had problem with the lower engine mount on the 197 , the one that is 2 O's with a beam between them ,the inside is made from rubber and it is snapping too easy , just made it from metal .

Okay so more info, simple terms:

1) Does the engine physically turn over. Either by starter motor or hand?

2) What electrics remain active. Ignition, dash, headlights, starter motor etc?

Did u hear a bang and see lots of smoke lol!!?? If not, then your probably ok :wink:

When the engine stall i was doing 60-70km/h on a down hill , i had my foot off the accelerator and i noticed that all the lights in the dask came on , RPM was off , Speed was off . I was in 4 gear , hit the clutch , turn the key off , then turn it back on , try to start the engin ( No ) , then while still in prestart position , off the clutch to "jump start the engine "( i can hear the engine internals "working" fine , but the engine it self was not working - like internal combustion ) . And then i stopped the car , checked the oil , checked the water , checked the belts , checked for holes in the engine , leaks under it , or any thing .... all was fine. Turned the key couple of times , all sort of warning came on : ABS , ESP , Brake , Airbags .... the servo was working ( it should work when the alternator starts working and this is when the engine is working ) , and the engine fan .

There is no option in going to Renault as they are idiots , been there for couple of times and they dont know s*it . They alligned the front of the car at +0.8 mm ( wheels "closed" ) while they had to make it -1.0mm ( wheels "open" ) . They was not able to detect snaped bushing in the suspension for 3 moths ..... the car was there like almost every day. Made me replace shockes , lower arms , steering rack , steering rack ends , the snaped bushing bearing .... without noticing the snaped bushing ( top shock ) .

I am getting down later with the interface and see what the computer will say ....

Okay so more info, simple terms:

1) Does the engine physically turn over. Either by starter motor or hand?

2) What electrics remain active. Ignition, dash, headlights, starter motor etc?

1 - No , when i turn the key , nothing happened only the dash is coming on with all the warning ligths . By hand it will , but as you said only physically , no strange noises .
2- Engine management light , abs , esp , the red one with the spanner , also on the radio dash , some airbag lights. All electrics inside the cabin work : lights , CD , fan , windows , etc ...

For the other question , no no smoke or anything.

Nope ..... it wont connect to the ECU , i can find it ,start connecting and then ..... no connection with ECU.

if the car is "hands-free" then you have to do something different!

lock car
unlock car (get in plug in obd2)
put keycard in slot under centre console
do not touch brake or clutch pedal
press and hold start button until steering lock clicks and dash lights come on

this forces "ignition on" so the obd2 system can pick up the data feeds from the diagnostics

Where the hell is the other computer , not the ECU but the other one responsible for the other stuff ..... it is not under the steering wheel ?

p.s. Found it ..... :smile:

Last edited:
Fixed it , connected it with Renault CAN Clip . It was in "crash" mode :smiley: The damn car thought that it is crashing .... and cut the engine off to prevent fire.
Reset all the systems .... running again.

To be honest , i really flew for a moment before landing on one side , coming from a left corner and going in to right. This means that i cant use it for training any more .....

Hmm.. Think i'll stop taking those humped bridges so quickly :smiley:

all four wheels off the ground is fun but i dont want no 'crashed mode' 197...

I dont think that you would have problem , i use mine to train on couple of "rally stages " since 1 year ago. The road is closed and i can really trash it as far as i want, but this time i really got too far , after all it is just a normal passenger car.

I wonder if this is whats causing mine to not start. I hit a kerb and the car kept running but failed to turn over at the petrol stop.