End of an era.

iAndy

Platinum Member
Well after just over two years ownership my racing blue 200 is going to a new owner. We are having a bit of a car clear out and have got the discovery almost 100% perfect with all the little niggles nearly sorted. The sunflower 1.2 is off to a new owner and the Mrs is having the Mazda 2 for her first car.

But this does lead me with a bit of an empty void, the 172 is garaged and on trailer so getting it out and on road for the odd blast isn't an easy thing. I haven't used the 200 much and feel that watching a car depreciate whilst just sat on the driveway having the odd run out is stupid, but I am left feeling I will miss it and won't have something for the Sunday drives out or trips to the Coast. So..... Do I buy another 1*2 clio and keep it for the road as my 172 is just too harsh with the stripped interior, cage and coilovers. Or do I but an MX5 to tinker with, or option 3..... Find something fast and fun without the huge insurance that the mrs can use yet I can have a weekend blast in. Thinking 500 abarth, seat Ibiza cupra, or a fiesta zetec-s

What's everyone's thoughts?

Think you should have kept the 200 if your just going to buy a 500 A or the like tbh

MK6 Fiesta ST? Cheap and cheerful, can't imagine the insurance would be too high?

MK6 Fiesta zetec s isn't fast and fun really, I liked mine but its nothing like the clio, and the new ones and still a bit pricey for what they are.

All those cars you have mentioned are going to depreciate. Also, your going to loose more money on the mods too...

I'd have kept the 200 personally with the above cars mentioned.

But if you are intending on buying one, the abarth I'd choose :smile:

You know my thoughts :wink:

If it's for weekend fun, you don't want much depreciation and affordable insurance then the MX5 is the answer. Faster than any Mk6 Fez, similar speed to the abarth, LOTS of tuning potential (anywhere from £800-£1800 will see you 200-260+ BHP) plus it's more of a special occasion car with it being RWD, 2seater and convertible. They sell for nothing money and aren't going to depreciate (there's no where left for them to go). Also there's a big scene out there for them so lots of forums, mods, second hand parts etc if you just want to tinker with it.

Couldn't be more chuffed with mine, and as good as the 1*2's are, after owning my Clio for 5+years (and still owning it) I'm glad I decided to have a total change rather than yet another FWD hatchback for the weekends. + when the weathers nice I get to get my noggin out and burn my forehead :smiley:.

Queue hairdresser comments from people who've never driven/owned an MX5...

Is say mx myself for cheap motoring fun , it won't loose much money , or buy a ph1 172 pick one up for penut money as has been said 500 fiesta etc etc all cost more and will loose money , can't see you loosing much on a
ph1 or mx , but practicality would steer me towards another Clio ,

Think I just got bored of the 200 and lack of being able to mod it without voiding warranty, not wanting to track it incase I stacked it..... So hence the sale.
Can never make my mind up and always buy the wrong thing. Guess that's just life, seems strange when rest of family can make a car last for years, yet I struggle past 12 months and always run 2 or 3 cars lol