Don't skimp on spark plugs kids....

Whilst driving home in my new 197 the other day, it developed a faint misfire. I was pretty certain it was a plug, as it was very faint and didn't bring on the eml. I removed the spark plugs, to be greeted with this on #2 cylinder.

I was very lucky that it hasn't damaged anything, and compressions across all cylinders are good. The spark plugs were the only thing that haven't been ticked in my service book, and luckily I had a set ready to fit.

So, if your thinking of scrimping on plugs due to the cost, consider the cost of a new engine......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 131
bloody lucky! happened once in my r5 gtt that the ceramic insulator broke in half. the remains broke a valve, the valveseat and killed the piston

how did that keep firing!!!

by all accounts that should have just dropped on to 3 cylinders...hope the bits are stuck in the cat!

I've no idea how, but on the cruise control at 70 you couldn't feel it! I'm going to pull the pre-cat off at the weekend and see if I can find anything.

It's done 57k, so just over the mileage. I've used NGK BCR8ES plugs instead of platinum. Much cheaper, just have a shorter service life than the platinums.