Dont buy OEM brake pads

I recently needed new brakes, both discs and pads, I ordered some vented Brembo discs and due to being slightly brassick at the time I ordered some OEM brake pads.

Since they have been fitted I dont feel they are as good as the DS2500's which is obvious but last night I was driving home from a friends and was braking hard for corners and just having a spirited drive.

Got to the main road and braked late for my turning and they failed completely, I had to carry on going and slow down further up the road and turn round.

I would recommend not to buy them if you drive your 197/ 200 above 10 MPH!!!

DS25000 on order already...

I quite like the standard pads, and have certainly never had a problem with them, even in track use. Sounds like perhaps you overheated them, grooved discs would help.

Well ive just had it serviced and they fitted new discs and pads and said they bled the brakes. To be honest since having my last brembo which were the black brembo's with grooves and the DS25000's they were amazing.

Never had that problem when I first got the car with the standard brakes.

Well I think I mite change the fluid when I change the pads to make sure its ok.

Pads were bedded in for a few hundred miles before hard braking, I always have done when putting new brakes on.

I mean it was hard braking but Im suprised they completely failed although driven it this morning and it seems okay.

I'd do it, it's not much money to swap the fluid and there's the peace of mind.

I wouldn't necessarily bed pads in like that, you need to 'cure' them and get a good spread of material on the disc. Certainly with DS2500s.

Everyone has a similar technique, but this is roughly mine.

10x60-5mph stops medium pressure
15 mins light driving
10x60-5mph stops hard pressure
15 mins light driving
Leave for a least a few hours to go completely cold and set.

I think the OEm pads are excellent.

Replaced OEM with OEM last week as well as braided lines and better fluid ready for another busy year of trackdays.

I'd get them to check the brakes over again if that happened! Never experienced severe brake fade like that.

I'd get them to check the brakes over again if that happened! Never experienced severe brake fade like that.

Agreed.

I doubt you can bed brakes properly in such a short period of time as well.

From new, mine took a good few hundred miles to feel as good as they do now.

Did you check the pad / disc surfaces for grease / copper slip? Its not the pads fault...

Bedding in brakes should be done over the period of about 30 minutes using mike's technique posted above.

This issue sounds like brake fade and is most likely poor quality or old fluid. Would get some new, decent stuff in there. I experienced it once and its definitely not something I want to experience again!

Never had an issue with the Brembo/Renault pads either.

As already said, doing a lot of miles doesn't always mean the pads are bedded in. The idea of bedding them in is to build up a layer of friction material on the disc from the pad. With prolonged use and light-ish braking, this layer can detiorate and so reduce the performance of your brakes. I've used the bedding in procedure (Everyone has their own way; Mine is 5 x 70-30 stops, allow to cool on an easy drive 10-15 mins, 5 x 70-30 stops, allow to cool on an easy drive 10-15 mins, 5 x 50-10 stops, allow to cool on an easy drive 10-15 mins, 5 x 50-10 stops, allow to cool on an easy drive 10-15 mins, leave over night or for 5 hours to cure.) on a 30k old brake setup and found it made a big improvement to the braking performance.

I fitted new OEM pads & discs last Thursday and they stood up damn well at Oulton over the weekend. I'm using Miller Oils Race Fluid at the moment and still using the OEM hoses due to HEL sending me the wrong fronts in the kit. I was doing 25 minute stints on track and didn't notice any real fade at all.

I'd say your fluid is goosed or it wasn't bled properley.

Just suprised as Ive never put in fancy brake fluid and always spent quite a bit of money on discs and pads.

This time I put on OEM and all of a sudden I get huge brake fade which was very scary, seeing as I eventually came to a stop and when I got home I checked the discs and pads and also the brake fluid level.

Very tempted to get braided lines and some decent fluid and get a garage to put them on with some DS25000.

Fluid can make as big a difference as anything else.

You can have the best pads and discs in the world but if the fluid is sh!t then you may as well be trying to stop the car with your feet. :smile:

+1 for agreeing the standard set up is good. I spent this afternoon pounding around the Silverstone GP track and never had an issue.

I like the OEM pads as well, done some time attack events and they were fine, lasted long ( 45k km ) and easy on the discs ( 2 sets of pads on OEM discs )

Similar Thread Suggestions