Didn't last long

I've had a Clio 200 for only a few months, it's done just 5'500km. On my way to work yesterday it all went a bit tits up.

Trying to change from 3rd to 4th, it wouldn't go into gear. I re-clutched and it still wouldn't go in. I tried 5th and that didn't work either. I tried to put it back into 3rd and it went in, but as I released the clutch pedal, all I heard is what I can only describe as a bunch of metal bolts being shook up in a tin can. :bye2:

Luckily I was close to work, so I coasted into the carpark. The car then stalled. I wasn't able to start it, and a message on the HUD showed "check injectors" :confused1:

Later in the day, a manager from the Renault garage came out to look at the car. Interestingly it fired up straight away, but there was a horrid noise coming from the front of the car. First gear was selectable, but things just sounded totally broken, although, it was able to drive in 1st, which was good enough to get it on a tow truck. I'm waiting to hear from the garage still, as it was towed late last night. :001_unsure:

As it's all new, everything is under warranty, but I'm shocked at how such a new car can fail so soon / easily. I live in Dubai BTW.

On a seperate note, has anyone picked up on a knocking noise from the front when going over small speedbumps? I don't hear anything when the rear wheels go over the same bump, just when the fronts go over. I asked the garage to check it out when it had its 1000km check up, but they said it was fine. Was wondering if it was common? Possibly just the way the front suspension is set up?

Thanks!

Have you got the Cup chassis? I think lots of 197 cups have had a strange knock from the front, which was hard to diagnose.

yeh common problem with the gearbox, saying that, mines been ok (touch wood) but then again i dont thrash it every where.

yeh common problem with the gearbox, saying that, mines been ok (touch wood) but then again i dont thrash it every where.

I don't give mine a lot of stick either. Most of the roads over here are long, straight and boring, and speed cameras everywhere, so I don't even have the opportunity to hammer it. Before I came out here, I had a 106 track car which was a real animal, and that got an absolute hammering on track, and I was using an old 106 1.4xsi box, and it took every ounce of punishment. I'm really surprised at what's happened to my Clio 200. :rain:

sorry to hear about your problems

I'm also in Dubai and just sold my 197 after similar problems, although not at such an early mileage. Another friend's 197 is also in service for the past 40 days with gearbox issues

Might be a GCC spec problem, maybe they put a different gearbox oil in due to the increased temperatures here? dunno what to think of it

sounds like gearbox is stuffed mate. Hope you get it all sorted.

Hopefully it's not. Thanks :smile:

sorry to hear about your problems

I'm also in Dubai and just sold my 197 after similar problems, although not at such an early mileage. Another friend's 197 is also in service for the past 40 days with gearbox issues

Might be a GCC spec problem, maybe they put a different gearbox oil in due to the increased temperatures here? dunno what to think of it

Oh man. That's seriously worrying! :thumbdown:

The 200's gearbox is slightly different to the 197's, but looks like it suffers from similar issues. Shame.

wouldnt worry to much, sure it will get picked up by warranty.

Yeah, the manager told me not to worry. But things are never certain out here.

Sorry to hear about that Dave.
Let us know how you get on.

Will keep you posted mate.

The only news I've had thus far is that they've found a leak in some cylinder which is related to the clutch pedal. Didn't make any sense to me...

Gearboxes are woefully inadequate for use in the 197, common failures.

As for the front end knock, becoming a very common problem which isn't diagnosable as of yet ( although most speculate the top mounts ).

Well, I got my car back. I'm not entirely sure what they fixed!

The story is something like this: There's a cylinder called the "clutch cylinder" which is responsible for engaging the clutch. They found a leak, and as a result, the clutch wasn't releasing and engaging correctly. They also replaced the TDC sensor. They say the noises must have been the bearing... It's not exactly clear in my head to be honest. Anyway, I have the car back and it seems OK. They replaced the gearbox oil too. And had the cheek to charge me £1.50 for a little bit of fuel to clean the insides of the clutch / box. lol.

sounds like the clutch release bearing failed - its a gearbox out job to change - i wouldnt have paid any money to have the bellhousing cleaned - it wasnt your fault it was a manufacturing defect that caused the fluid loss and therefore covered by warranty.....i would be asking for the money back just on principal!!!!

I know, I wasn't best pleased. I can deal with £1.50 though :wink: It's hard not to sound like a cock arguing over £1.50. :smiley:

The car was washed and polished, so can't complain too much.

I know, I wasn't best pleased. I can deal with £1.50 though :wink: It's hard not to sound like a cock arguing over £1.50. :smiley:

The car was washed and polished, so can't complain too much.

well i suppose its just the tight arsed yorkshire man in me!

but £1.50 worth of fuel in dubia must be about 12 gallon :tongueout:anic: