diagnose clio 200 engine knocking (video)

can anybody help me to diagnose this bad knocking? Rod knock, or collapsed lifter? something else maybe?

i have an service appointment in two days... but i want to know what could be the problem?

thanks

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW1lOAYeFDo[/YOUTUBE]

Funny you should put this thread up but this morning mine made the very same noise for about 3-4 seconds.Not done it since so I'm interested to see what it is

could there be something stuck on your belts? or something like that? sounds like something is lose more than engine

piston slap......

its not a tick as such so not a lifter

not a heavy knock so not like a big end

so at a guess would say piston slap....does it go when warm?

piston slap......

its not a tick as such so not a lifter

not a heavy knock so not like a big end

so at a guess would say piston slap....does it go when warm?

I wouldnt be driving that again otherwise your top & bottom end will be casting themselves far & wide-

As said piston slap, conrod or maybe big end bearings ? i dont know but get it trailored to renault whilst its still in one peice

S

warm or cold... is the same. car has only 3000km. one day before hear the knocking i put in wrong gear... 2 instead of 4. i did not notice anything wrong when driving that day. also, i do not notice weird sound when i miss the gear.

the knocking is not present at idle.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a big end bearing to me, i wouldn't be reving it like that or even starting it. Get it to your dealer asap.

warm or cold... is the same. car has only 3000km. one day before hear the knocking i put in wrong gear... 2 instead of 4. i did not notice anything wrong when driving that day. also, i do not notice weird sound when i miss the gear.

the knocking is not present at idle.

did you over rev it by much?

if its not going away it will most likely be bearing issues.....i wouldnt drive it too much!

If its a big end as i suspect you should not even be starting it. Tiny metal particles of the bearing shell will be pumping through the oil pump & the entire engine.

Me and another mechanic at work av just be watchin this vid. He rekons it dont sound like a big end coz it aint knockin all the time and it more like rattling than a bangin. May be wrong tho dont really know these engines aswell as some of you guys. Start with the basics like checkin oil levels.

im pretty sure they start off like this before the bottom end lets go, but could be wrong. like i said have youve checking on the oil and topping it up as new engines use oil when running in.

Me and another mechanic at work av just be watchin this vid. He rekons it dont sound like a big end coz it aint knockin all the time and it more like rattling than a bangin. May be wrong tho dont really know these engines aswell as some of you guys. Start with the basics like checkin oil levels.

thats the trouble with a video and sound you cannot always hear it good :coffee:

As i said, there will be metal particles throughout all the galleries etc.
Your looking at a complete engine rebuild.
Best of luck.