diagnose clio 200 engine knocking (video)

I have had big end bearing failure before. It was only acute and I actually drove for about 3000 miles with it due to it being incorrectly diagnosed as piston slap. I found it only made the noise when it was held at constant revs over 3000rpm. It was on my MR2 (1ZZ engine is notorious for oil starvation issues) and luckily I only needed new shells which were changed with the engine in situ. Cost £399 inc VAT for new shells, engine flush, new oil and labour.

Anyway, get it checked out ASAP and don't drive it apart from to the nearest decent mechanic.

Hard to say from a video clip but it could also be a dephaser/camshaft offset sensor issue as they are common for them and as these units are in a constant state of vvc they do make top end rattles with revs.

Personally I wouldn't bin the lump just yet but I would get it properly looked at ASAP

Mick

If there is metal particles in the oil you can bank on it being big end or main bearings, either way its an engine out & rebuild as the particles will be completely throughout the engine.
Inspect the bores for scoring & hopefully they will just need a hone.
Inspect the crank & hopefully it will just need a linish.
Replace big end & main bearings.
Replace the oil pump as its too risky to just clean the old one.
Inspect all other components for scoring & clean all components thoroughly.
Best of luck.

If there is metal particles in the oil you can bank on it being big end or main bearings, either way its an engine out & rebuild as the particles will be completely throughout the engine.
Inspect the bores for scoring & hopefully they will just need a hone.
Inspect the crank & hopefully it will just need a linish.
Replace big end & main bearings.
Replace the oil pump as its too risky to just clean the old one.
Inspect all other components for scoring & clean all components thoroughly.
Best of luck.

Not necessarily! Like I said in my previous post, a couple of engine flushes could be sufficient. I drove my old car for 10k after the failure with no detrimental effects before I sold it.

if its in warrenty it will be a new engine. both big end and dephaser can cause metal particals in the oil, and i think on both occasions, (members on hear) had the engine replaced

in italy on my forum it's happened to 7/10 people...
from r27 to last 200...

in warrenty like (ryan said), renault will change the engine...

in italy on my forum it's happened to 7/10 people...
from r27 to last 200...

in warrenty like (ryan said), renault will change the engine...

my clio 200 is new (5 months old) and has only 3000km. Never doing track.

i recive call today from renault. tell me that the crankshaft and bearing is gone and it will be replaced with new rods also.

maybe i Should insist on a complete brand new engine?

i recive call today from renault. tell me that the crankshaft and bearing is gone and it will be replaced with new rods also.

did you do checks on the oil levels, and top up using the 1 litre of oil renault provide from new?

Yes mate!!!!! ****, your clio is new!! They must change with a new engine!!!!
In italy a friend of mine had 40/50oookm, 2mounths out of warrenty.. He asked change engine and they changed it!

You need to speak with renault assistence uk!!

Stress them!!!!! 3000km... You would ask also moral damages.....

Sorry for the... **, but i'm very upset.. 5mounths, new car, and they tell to change only cranckshaft and bearings...... No no no no i want all new

Good on you mate, rather have new engine than mess about repairing the old

As i said previously, my concern would be that the metal particles have gone throughout the entire engine, the oil pump should definitely be replaced, my big concern though would be possible scoring of the bores which would mean reboring or at the very least honing the block & replacing the pistons.
I think you should definitely insist on a new engine.

Going by what Renault have said is damaged (crankshaft & conrods) i think it's safe to assume it was in fact a big end failure & possibly rod stretch likely due to being over revved when you said you selected 2nd instead of 4th, but i wouldn't mention that to them.
The main thing is they have agreed to fix it under warranty, best of luck.