Definitive differences between 197/200?

the gearbox on the 197 is the down fall...

You say it's a down fall but as far as I'm aware the 200 gearbox is slightly revised isn't it? Like, longer 6th (which is good) and slightly shorter 1,2,3? I wouldn't say that it's radically different. You can't even tell the shorter 3 gears in real life. The new 200 gearbox still fails (I read the other day that renault run out of gearboxes lol) same problems as the 197 one and you still can not engage 1st gear when it's cold. So how can it be miles apart?

driven a 200 and i could feel the better pull from the engine the quicker steering and cup chassis.....:thumbup:

I'm sure there is someone in here who replaced the ARB and rack of his 197 with the 200 (cup). He clearly said that it was his worse mod because he couldn't tell any differences whatsoever. I was about to do the same but I after reading his review I bottled it:huh:

this can go forever, 200 is better full stop. 197-200 miles apart?? no way

Last edited:
The only difference between >'08 Clio 197 gearbox & Clio 200 gearbox are the first three gears.

The Clio Cup Racer 22mm ARB was a great mod on my Clio 197 with KW V3.

I don't agree with that guy saying 197 looks like a bag of **** compared to the 200. He honestly is talking out of his ass. I personally think that the 197 has a better front than the 200. The reason for this is because I'm not a fan of the black plastic aero part on the 200 front bumper and think 197 look better in that way.

The only thing that looks nice on Clio 200 is the gloss black diffuser with exhaust tips.

I've got the RS exhaust tips on my 197 tho and think they look nice to.

Overall both 197 & 200 are very similar cars but with the 200 has a few tweaks.

Can't believe this is still going..

Couple of good articles here. You have to sort of work out whether you are comparing 197 cup against 200 cup and 197 FF against 200 FF to be fair IMO.

Things like this are pretty key, as 200 FF gets softer set up than 197FF.. but 200 cup is a lot firmer/stiffer than 197 cup

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/235737/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/236731/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

quote from above articles 'Both the standard and Cup chassis now get hydraulic double-effect dampers, which include an additional level of valving, and on the non-Cup chassis they’re actually set 15 per cent softer than on the 197 to improve comfort. By contrast, the new Cup chassis gets damper settings that are 15 per cent stiffer than the 197 Cup’s. The Cup chassis also has stiffer springs than the standard 200 – 27 per cent firmer at the front and 30 per cent at the rear – and a 7.5 per cent quicker steering rack. Finally, all 200s get an ‘independent steering axis’ front suspension (RevoKnuckle in new Ford Focus RS speak, but in fact a system that’s been working brilliantly on Renaultsport Méganes for a while) that reduces torque steer and works in conjunction with an uprated torsion-beam rear axle for greater precision on turn-in.'

IMO there are quite a few noticeable differences (noted I didn't say improvements so not being biased) although the improved gear ratios, difference in where torque is (more and lower down) and superb cup suspension/chassis all add up to a better car for me.

Having gone from 172 cup to 197FF to 200 FF with cup pack I think I have a good overview.

Last edited:
Can't believe this is still going..

Couple of good articles here. You have to sort of work out whether you are comparing 197 cup against 200 cup and 197 FF against 200 FF to be fair IMO.

Things like this are pretty key, as 200 FF gets softer set up than 197FF.. but 200 cup is a lot firmer/stiffer than 197 cup

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/235737/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/236731/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

quote from above articles 'Both the standard and Cup chassis now get hydraulic double-effect dampers, which include an additional level of valving, and on the non-Cup chassis they’re actually set 15 per cent softer than on the 197 to improve comfort. By contrast, the new Cup chassis gets damper settings that are 15 per cent stiffer than the 197 Cup’s. The Cup chassis also has stiffer springs than the standard 200 – 27 per cent firmer at the front and 30 per cent at the rear – and a 7.5 per cent quicker steering rack. Finally, all 200s get an ‘independent steering axis’ front suspension (RevoKnuckle in new Ford Focus RS speak, but in fact a system that’s been working brilliantly on Renaultsport Méganes for a while) that reduces torque steer and works in conjunction with an uprated torsion-beam rear axle for greater precision on turn-in.'

IMO there are quite a few noticeable differences (noted I didn't say improvements so not being biased) although the improved gear ratios, difference in where torque is (more and lower down) and superb cup suspension/chassis all add up to a better car for me.

Having gone from 172 cup to 197FF to 200 FF with cup pack I think I have a good overview.

That's my point exactly. As I have already said (and loads of other people here) 200 is a better/refined car! but NOT miles ahead! And btw the ''independent steering axis'' is in 197 as well is it not???

Yawn!

197 drivers love the 197!
200 drivers love the 200!

Same old crap!

Let's try this for a change.

Brand new 197 or 200 at no cost what would you choose?

If I had the money, I'd have a 200 as obviously they have tweaked it to make it that little bit better, but I couldn't afford one so brought a 197, which is still a great car!

Yawn!

197 drivers love the 197!
200 drivers love the 200!

Same old crap!

Let's try this for a change.

Brand new 197 or 200 at no cost what would you choose?

197 - just because of the looks. TBH, no one uses 100% of this cars on a track, and 70% on the road. So it's just the optical differences that play the part with me.

I personally don't like the instrument dash and that yellow insert, don't like the front and the gloss black diffusor looks girly to me when it comes to Clio 200. IMO. :wink:

However, there is no doubt that the Clio 200 is a better car. It should be.

If nothing else, I would like to have that gearbox from the Clio 200.

These are my 5 cents.