Definitive differences between 197/200?

I've just found a quote on another forum where a 200 owner ( quite clearly up himself a fair bit too ) stated that " the 200 makes the 197 look like a bag of sh*t"

I've driven both a 200 and a 197 and noticed next to no difference, I thought the ride was a little nicer in the 200.. but that was about it.

Anyone else noticed BIG differences?

lol no way. 200 is a refined 197 and noone disagrees to that. Slightly refined engine, suspension and front looks (well, different diffuser as well). The question is, is 200 5-6k better than the 197? Personally I'd have to say no but this is up to anyone. Making 197 looks like a bag of ****e? I can say with confidence NO!

Id say that apart from looks as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is fair to say the 200 is that little bit better in all departments and i do mean little bit.

The engine is better, the handling and feel is better, the bluetooth is better, it has the rs monitor etc.

The only downer on the 200 is no xenon option.

I've had a play with many a 200s and they never have an advantage over me.

I think the 200s engine is much better down low, this really is a weakness on the 197, apart from that slightly harder suspension all round the models?

I've had a play with many a 200s and they never have an advantage over me.

I think the 200s engine is much better down low, this really is a weakness on the 197, apart from that slightly harder suspension all round the models?

You can feel the extra grunt and you can certainly see it of you compare 2 dyno graphs.

However on the road the difference is very very minimal. Maybe on a track with a proffesional you could quantify the difference but not on the road.

Whats different about 200 engine?

More torque lower down the revs and with revised gear ratios makes it a bit less like driving a wasp in a tin can.

I've been in early 197s and it makes a difference believe me.

Many debates on here. Better but better enough? Not 4 - 5+ grands worth, but many want the 'newness' and the warranty that comes with it. Storm grey or Alien green are really lovely cars. I believe the 200 will be a great s\h bargain in 18 months. Lets be honest though, the jury is still out about the front......

I have owned the R27 and i now own the Clio 200.
They are worlds apart people.
The 200 has lotsa grunt low down, and the gearbox on the 200, OMG, refines the car completely, suspension is different on the 200, the alloy wheels on the 200 is lighter than the 197 wheel. im one for power as i race my Clio alot, my R27 had a miltek exhaust and my 200 at the moment is factor stock, and my 200 would out run the R27 anyday, the gearbox on the 197 is the down fall...

Many debates on here. Better but better enough? Not 4 - 5+ grands worth, but many want the 'newness' and the warranty that comes with it. Storm grey or Alien green are really lovely cars. I believe the 200 will be a great s\h bargain in 18 months. Lets be honest though, the jury is still out about the front......

I love my 200 front end..its very `shark like` 8)

driven a 200 and i could feel the better pull from the engine the quicker steering and cup chassis.....:thumbup:

for me a 197 with a 200 cup chassis and engine = heaven :cloud9:

This thread has been a great help to me as im currently deciding which one to go for. The appeal of the 197 is obviously the cost. Only looking to spend around £9-10k so could get a 197 and have a bit of change. the seem to be around £7-8k but struggling to find one with decent mileage.

This thread has been a great help to me as im currently deciding which one to go for. The appeal of the 197 is obviously the cost. Only looking to spend around £9-10k so could get a 197 and have a bit of change. the seem to be around £7-8k but struggling to find one with decent mileage.

I was in a similar boat to you about getting a 197 or 200 - been watching the market for a while now..decided on buying a mint, low miles 197 R27 (pick it up tommorrow) will hopefully hold its money a lot better as well as 200's seem to be dropping big time. That could also be argued, you can get a slightly more modern car (200) for just a little extra as well tho, altho, no doubt they will continue to drop whilst R27 seems pretty stable.

The car is actually for my Mrs, but judging by her reaction when she saw the 200's front end a few weeks ago at a dealer...there would be no chance of a 200 anyway, no matter how cheap they got.

My advice, decide what you want and wait for the right car (colour/spec/miles etc..), they do come up, even if you have to wait a fair few months like we've had to. :001_rolleyes:

I have seen a Yellow F1 197 with 21k on the clock and its up for around £9k, really fancy but not quite in the position to buy it yet, few weeks away fromt he money becomming available.

I have seen a Yellow F1 197 with 21k on the clock and its up for around £9k, really fancy but not quite in the position to buy it yet, few weeks away fromt he money becomming available.

You'll be able to negotiate on that anyway (may well be up for a cambelt later this year so theres one tool) I paid less than that with less miles and nearly all the options. Why not go have a look/ test drive at least they know you're keen. The good ones will get snapped up pretty sharpish.