Clio RS 200 - real life running costs

Picked up the 200 at the beginning of December 2011, the last fill up took me past 6,000 miles. Since I got it I've recorded every single penny spent on fuel, insurance, VED, consumables, tools, cleaning shizzle, accessories, and trackdays. Going to keep this going so will post updates as the miles pile on.

Points to note;

Depreciation is estimated based on me having a glance on Autotrader and seeing what similar age/mileage 200s to mine go for.
VED and insurance are based on a daily share of the full year cost.
All other costs are written off when incurred.

Fuel costs have not been kind, although this is skewed by the switch from 95 to 99 RON at the start of February.

Slide1-1.jpg

Despite this, my pence per mile fuel cost has remained fairly static

Slide2-1.jpg

Finally, all running costs together, a total of £ 3,060.55. Ouch.

Slide3.jpg

That all breaks down to;

49.98 pence per mile
£ 23.91 per day

So it costs me almost £25 a day, or £175 a week for the privilege of RS ownership!

That's is very informative actually this would be a good guide for ppl thinking about buying a RS Clio to have a real good look at to see if they can budget for one. Also think a moderator should maybe put this in a sticky

this is a good post, it'd be great to see it updated every 6 months or so, so we could see where depreciation starts to slow (it should? right? right!?), might prove very useful for those buying used

I dread to think what I have spent in 22 months of ownership. 48,000 miles of vpower, 8 tyres, 2 sets of front pads, 1 set of rear pads, tax, insurance, servicing.... Ouch

This is really insightful - great post mate.

£25 a day - seems crazy when you put it like that... Mine must cost loads! Since the fire and losing my NCB I am currently paying £5k per year for my insurance! >.<

Worth every penny IMO and I knew exactly what I was in for before my purchase...

If I had this knowledge now and went back in time - I'd do the same thing again.

I'd also have parked my Polo on the drive way hahahaha....

this is a good post, it'd be great to see it updated every 6 months or so, so we could see where depreciation starts to slow (it should? right? right!?), might prove very useful for those buying used

I'll keep updating this, probably every 6k miles or so, for so long as I have the car. I owned my 172 Cup for over 8 years and 120k miles so this 200 isn't going anywhere soon.

Terrifying. My mortgage costs me less than that.

depreciation is a b!tch...

I dread to think what I have spent in 22 months of ownership. 48,000 miles of vpower, 8 tyres, 2 sets of front pads, 1 set of rear pads, tax, insurance, servicing.... Ouch

£25 a day - seems crazy when you put it like that... Mine must cost loads! Since the fire and losing my NCB I am currently paying £5k per year for my insurance! >.<

Worth every penny IMO and I knew exactly what I was in for before my purchase...

If I had this knowledge now and went back in time - I'd do the same thing again.

I'd also have parked my Polo on the drive way hahahaha....

Bear in mind I bought this for £10k at 2.5 years old, and I get a decent 33-35 mpg. So someone else had already taken a MASSIVE depreciation hit.

Imagine what your numbers would be with 25 mpg and depreciation from brand new.

£25 a day wouldn't even come close!!!

Mine was £12k in June 2009, The day she went (last Friday), fuel cost was £8132, average MPG was 30.1 MPG, Servicing/Tyres & Tax costs: £2203.92, Insurance costs was £1028, and the car sold for £6100.

Total cost of this car: £23363.92 Total loss on this car: £17263.92 - or £507.77 per month. Hmmmm, quite a bit lol!!!

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread me thinks! It definitely underlines my reasons for selling!

I got mine brand new 2 week ago.... 870 miles on so far and £225 in v-power fuel..... I've got an average 26mpg so far, but its still on its first few miles so hoping for a bit better on the mpg front

I got mine brand new 2 week ago.... 870 miles on so far and £225 in v-power fuel..... I've got an average 26mpg so far, but its still on its first few miles so hoping for a bit better on the mpg front

The thought of buying brand new, wow, I'd love to, I really would. Would be so amazing to be the only owner since 2 miles on the clock.

But only if I could hide from the reality of the shocking loss, it's terrible, unbelievable almost! :':smile:kiss:

Mines 3 months old 7000 miles in and done a set of discs an pads in that time and two R888's lol

an informative post as always mark!

I am kinda in the boat of sticking my head in the sand!

Especially as I have spent ££££ on engine conversion etc. But then if i worried about the cost, I wouldnt of done it, drive it abroad for track days, etc etc!

The thought of buying brand new, wow, I'd love to, I really would. Would be so amazing to be the only owner since 2 miles on the clock.

But only if I could hide from the reality of the shocking loss, it's terrible, unbelievable almost! :':smile:kiss:

Its been a difficult journey to get the RS200 and I've had 5 years of driving total sheds before being able to get the Clio, the downturn in economy really hit hard and my nice Audi TT got replaced with a £300 Rover 218SD, but things will get better and cutting back is always the sensible thing to do, Am sure ya will soon be back in a 197 or 200 and in mean time enjoy the 182 they are a great car too :smile:

Great post. I'm always working stuff like this out in my head. One thing I would add to the figures, is interest on the £10k purchase price. You either lose it or pay it. If you paid for it out of savings, it would add around £25pm to your sum's. More of course if the money was borrowed.