Clio RS 200 - real life running costs

This is a good thread imo for people thinking of financing their cars, as can be seen realistically you need to roughly double the finance payment of roughly £200-300 to get the realistic cost of owning and running the car.

good data :jase2:

but if you start adding it all up and think hard about it it can put you off....thats why i dont do it :'(

got to remember the cost of a normal car would not be that much cheaper... cars are expensive to run unfortunately.

Having said that i should imagine the more miles you do ie 12,000 a year or more, the gap would get bigger between normal car and clio. Not that i am smug.. i only do 5000-6000 a year so petrol, tyres etc will be cheap. Biggest increase for me is tax to be honest.

Is definately something everyone should weigh up thou.

I'm paying a fortune to run my car and can only use it 6 months out of the year, do I care?

No :thumbup:

That's a nice thread indeed, great work here mate but I have my reservations to the general concept. I mean kick me if I'm wrong but on this graph

the only variable that differentiates our lovely clio with a different hot hatch is fuel. Tyres, accessories, track days, depreciation, insurance and road tax is more or less the same if not more (depreciation on a golf gti?? don't even go there given its price list, not that the insurance is much cheaper.

So generally, running a hot hatch costs money no matter what car you choose to buy. So why not choose the one that you'd have MUCH more fun?

I'm using the clio on an everyday basis, I suppose I could have bought a crappy (can I use that word mods??) little car for my everyday commute but decided against it. Why? Because I even enjoy commuting in the Clio!

Personally I've never sat down to think how much money I've spent on the clio as I've never calculated how much money I've spent on trips or even on massive nights out (London's nightlife can be expensive...really expensive, Ktecs big brake upgrade expensive...) simply because...

Fun is priceless,
Clio is fun
So from here we can easily come to the conclusion that

CLIO=PRICELESS!!

(IMO anyway:smile:))))

Most ownership stuff is done on pence per mile. (another Graph opportunity?)

If you factor this in when you do less miles the fixed costs (depreciation, tax etc) are spread over a smaller number of miles. Therefore keeping as a weekend toy is bad news in this respect!

I had a Impreza P1 about 10 years ago and sold it when I worked out it was costing more than my house. £500 a month in depreciation alone. Most of my cars since have been around the £100 a month mark in depreciation and less on insurance, fuel, servicing etc. If you can put £500 back in your pocket every month it buys alot of other stuff.

I did a bit of Economics at University years ago and there was a concept called 'Oppertunity Cost' meaning the true cost is not the £££ but what else you could buy ie house, holiday, boat, nights out etc. If you dont need the others you may aswell have the Clio.