Clio is Cool or Chavvy?

The A1 is pretty cool - and actually a very good car

The Fiat 500 is a fashion statement and not such a good car

The RS 200 is, IMO, very cool because:
- It's relatively rare
- It comes out top in most comparative road tests
- It's' race bred' with highly popular race series around the world
- I keep mine in the S of France and it stands out and gets as many looks as far more expensive exotica

Having said that, if you live in Essex and wear your baeball cap back to front, or start 'modding' it too much.......

You missed the bit about the guy in the grey BMW being a Chav lol. More and more BMWs and now Audis in particular are attracting the wrong crowd.

100% a cool car!!

Not being biased coz 99% of the people on this forum own one, BUT, it's French (and Paris is about the coolest place on the planet!) it's cheeky, it's wide, it's rare and above all...it's a right crack to drive!

Others car's in the same bracket are so boring in comparision (apart from the 500 esseesse abarth) and common as muck.

IMHO cars like Scoobies are chavvy, you even see a lot of Mk4 Golf's now rolling round on the cheapest set of eBay 18" specials. It's not so much the car's in question, just the idiots that drive them.

Be interested in meeting someone who thought they were chavvy as to just why they thought so..

I would say the Clio RS has the cool factor...I've parked mine in the centre of Milan in between posh supercars and it gets just as much attention from the public. People don't seem to know exactly what it is so i'm often bombared with complements & questions regarding the performance haha.

Plenty of chavs in E46 M3's these days - but classic status assured for those ultra-low mileage mint examples in the future. Just an example.

Probably same for 197/200 to a degree. My 200 got plenty of attention at a local car-show yesterday (surrounded by some lovely Fezzas). The RS has heritage but I would say the V6/Williams will be deemed the cooler models to have. Depends on your definition of cool I guess.

What I do know is the old Fiat 500 is way cooler than the modern version.

I think it depends on who's looking at the car. In my opinion I think most people would call the 197/200 chavvy, especially if it's modified. However, people who know just how good these cars are will have a different opinion.

From Wikipedia 'Chav'
'the stereotype was popularised in the British mass media to refer to working-class youth subculture in England'.

I must admit, always been uncomfortable about media labels. What were these type of people called before this recent label?

Boy Racers??? This media label almost killed the hot hatch market, and gave insurers the license to print money...

Last edited:
hmmmm the most chavvy car is old bmw like E46 M3.

edit: Clio 197 & 200 are cool car. Peoples said to me at car park, what a lovely car & looks fast.

Last edited:
I think the Clio's can look chavvy to the uneducated, Cup spoiler and a diffuser on a Clio will raise a few eyebrows....

But, I know i didnt buy one for anyone else, they are currently THE best hot hatch on the market, and will show up serious metal with the right driver!

I don't think RenaultSports are chavvy mainly because as far as I'm aware a certain kind of person buys them. You don't get your average person going online and searching for a 197/200. You've got to be looking for it and you've got to know what you want in a car. I swear chavs go for a car where they're like 'it goes this far in blah blah seconds'

I'd say the clio is a pretty cool car, mainly because it hasn't quite fallen into the chav price bracket yet.... although saying that, the E46 BMW M3 seems to be the chav's weapon of choice, seen more about recently with the baseball cap brigade driving them.

I think cool :wink:
Mine being black its quite subtle. I can see why some people could think they are chavy cars but i think the 197/200 owners are a good lot!! So hopefully no one thinks we are chavs ha ha :smiley:

I'd say the clio is a pretty cool car, mainly because it hasn't quite fallen into the chav price bracket yet.... although saying that, the E46 BMW M3 seems to be the chav's weapon of choice, seen more about recently with the baseball cap brigade driving them.

Will be a short-lived experience for them when they get their first bill for maintenance! That's if they bother...

We'll have to put the clock forward 10 years or so to see what people think of the 197/200. I was looking at a mint low mileage 1993 205 GTI 1.9 & Ren 5 GT Turbo recently for sale and love them more now than back in the day. Very french, lots of flair. Lots of character, very cool. Could I view my 200 in the same light in 10 years from a personal view. Who knows, I hope so as it's a fantastic car. Imagine how much character it will have when everyone will be driving boxes with wheels!

it's all down to the owners. Snobby owners are enough to put me off a car, just as much as chavvy ones. Never really been able to get past Trophy snobbery, spoilt the whole car for me.

Think it depends on what stage of its life it's in, take the vauxhall nova GTE a bit before my time but when it came out it was new so was probably cool, then mid-late 90s it was the essence of chav and if I was to see an unmolested one now I'd think it was very cool

...cant wait to see what the new 200T lot make of us. Long after people have sold their
197/200 or handed them back because of the pcp loans, bought houses, got married and bought grey audi's and Bm's, the Chav 172/182 owners will still be tinkering with their cars. As will their Chav cousins Rs, XR and GTi owners. Considering how many are for keeps, when I reflect on how many members have sold up...maybe not eh?

Been to Ford fair for last two years. We could learn a lot from our so called chav counterparts.

...cant wait to see what the new 200T lot make of us. Long after people have sold their
197/200 or handed them back because of the pcp loans, bought houses, got married and bought grey audi's and Bm's, the Chav 172/182 owners will still be tinkering with their cars. As will their Chav cousins Rs, XR and GTi owners. Considering how many are for keeps, when I reflect on how many members have sold up...maybe not eh?

Been to Ford fair for last two years. We could learn a lot from our so called chav counterparts.

says the man wanting to sell up and buy a BMW! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

says the man wanting to sell up and buy a BMW! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lol. Own a house, I am married, I have no finance and owned many a BM but never an Audi. I think I've contributed to pushing the boundaries of Clio'ness. There is life outside of owning a Clio and never said it was for keeps...

I dont quite get what makes an M3 chavvy? Regardless of who owns it, an E46 m3 still has ALL the toys, and isnt OTT?

IMO Scoobys and Evo's were "more chavvy" due to the fact they were marketed as a Rally car for the road.... an E46 M3 is nothing more than a top of the line, spec'd up BMW 3 series... Id own one in a heartbeat!