Clio is Cool or Chavvy?

Was thinking is the Clio Cool or Chavvy?

Is it the car or the driver that makes it Chavvy. Is that too simplistic and subjective?

When I pull up in the petrol station in my bright yellow Clio, I do wonder what Mr Smith thinks in his grey BMW? Not that it matters-just an observation

Also where would the Clio be on the 'Top Gear' cool wall....

I have never really bought a car purely based on people's perceptions, and never will but its funny when your on a forum based on 'one car' as oppose to a car forum for general petrolheads. Sometimes can be a little subjective.

I personally think its cool but the Audi A1 and Fiat 500 abarth are way cooler but not better cars.....

Last edited:
Was thinking is the Clio Cool or Chavvy?

Is it the car or the driver that makes it Chavvy. Is that too simplistic and subjective?

When I pull up in the petrol station in my bright yellow Clio, I do wonder what Mr Smith thinks in his grey BMW? Not that it matters-just an observation

Also where would the Clio be on the 'Top Gear' cool wall....Just a thought?

As a bloke he is probably thinking,....'Pfft my BMW is faster than your Clio'

I would be money on that being what he is thinking :smile:

As Mark has said. I found that with the Fiesta ST - the cheaper they got, the easier it was to buy which brought a 'different' crowd to the scene

As Mark has said. I found that with the Fiesta ST - the cheaper they got, the easier it was to buy which brought a 'different' crowd to the scene

This.

At the moment, the 197/200 isn't chavvy, it's the pick of the bunch.

But in time as values drop and they start to fall into the wrong hands then who knows...

1. i dont care what anyone thinks...

2. depends on the defination of "cool"!

3. dont think the a1 and 500 are cool cars in my book - just blatant badge engineering - style over substance - and way overpriced for what they offer

Last edited:
Throw something else in it. The Clio becomes really cool if I pull in the petrol station and it has no rear seats and a cage because then its becomes 'a big boys toy'. The bloke with the BM now looks and thinks, wish my wife would let me have one of those?????

Cool is subjective but IMO isn't about how much it cost (all supercars cool?), its more about what they represent... doesn't always have to be substance or functional. Not whats necessary better...we all know the Clio is general the best out there currently at what it does...

Last edited:
I wouldn't say renaultsport as a whole is chavvy but as we said its subjective. In the same category you have to be looking at vxrs and fords st/rs' for that crown. massively biased though obviously :smiley::smiley: No one wants to be associated with that label haha.

I wouldn't say renaultsport as a whole is chavvy but as we said its subjective. In the same category you have to be looking at vxrs and fords st/rs' for that crown. massively biased though obviously :smiley::smiley: No one wants to be associated with that label haha.

Would you have a Audi A1 or Fiat 500 abarth? corsa nurburgring I think is a seriously cool car....

Last edited:
I think the owner makes a car chavvy.

I've seen audi tts look chav as certain people buy the cheap ones and do some budget looking mods.

No car starts chavvy but once they get to a certain price point the chavs get hold of them and make them their own.

It will be the same with the clio 200s once they get cheap enough.

Looks at imprezas and evos (a famous chav car)the only chavved ones are the cheap ones.

The same with clios, the chavved ones are normally the proper cheap 172s, 182s with crap mods etc, but a standard 182 trophy is not chav in my opinion.

I dread to think what it will be like once the focus rs (not mk1) become cheap enough, as they already look chavved up so god knows how they will look once a chav does his mods to it lol...

Last edited:
I think the owner makes a car chavvy.

I've seen audi tts look chav as certain people buy the cheap ones and do some budget looking mods.

No car starts chavvy but once they get to a certain price point the chavs get hold of them and make them their own.

It will be the same with the clio 200s once they get cheap enough.

Looks at imprezas and evos (a famous chav car)the only chavved ones are the cheap ones.

The same with clios, the chavved ones are normally the proper cheap 172s, 182s etc.

Clio Trophy is a seriously cool car.....maybe the coolest yet???

Most A1 drivers have delusions of grandeur. 'Wow look at me in my A1; it's an AUDI don't you know?'. Despite this, I would have an A1 Quattro which I see as a cool car.

Even a standard 182 or 172 cup is not chav, but certain people kill their cars with mods.

I used to mod cars a lot but now I can't be bothered, i just like something about a fully standard car from the outside.

Performance mods though I'm all for but I like to keep the car looking original on the outside.

Yeah id agree that half assed mods are the main reason for a type of car being labelled chap.. Still think fiesta sts, those 1.4 corsas with the almost vxr body kit and the older civic type rs come across as chavvy owners. not labelling everyone though!!