Clio 200 & Corsa VXr @ The Ring

yeah, well its true. the VXR and the clio are very equally matched power wise

the clio and vxr are equally matched full stop? cant see why poeple are not seeing this? when they both got released, depending on the track 1 would be faster than the other, think it was autocar test at goodwood where the vxr beat the clio hands down, yet 5th gears test it was the other way round.
At the end of the day, vauxhall have turned a corner with the perfroamce of their cars now to perfornace of old!

Yeah the whole VXR range is pretty good to be fair.

I think it's good that both Renault and Vauxhall are keeping the hot hatch going instead of them becoming watered down and overpriced when you look at some of the other marques. These new VAG cars do nothing for me, I find them very bland and that 1.4TSI thing just isn't really my thing at all. Not saying they're bad cars, but for the money you can get a lot better. Such as a VXR or Renaultsport.

Even Ford, who always used to be up for making a hot model, have gone soft. Ok, the RS is a beast blah blah blah. But that's it at the moment. They have one half quick car to choose from. The Fiesta Zetec S is a lame duck and needs Mountune to fiddle with it before it can be even considered warm, let alone hot. There's nothing in the KA range that's remotely sporty... Painting lines on the roof and colour coding the wing mirrors does not a sports car make. :smile:

agreed again jonesy. the only time where u would see a difference is modifying.

Every weekday morning, I pull off my drive into the path of a VXR that's going the same way as me. We both pull up to the lights and wait with baited breath until we get the green. For the first two hundred yards we belt along at 40 mph (in a 60) and run neck and neck until we get traffic behind; where one of us flash the other car clear to come into the nearside lane so everyone in their Polo's, Astra's, Hyundai's come past us. I don't know what these other drivers must think of us both.

It's a level of respect we have for each other and yet wer'e complete strangers.

lmfao thats great pink. have you ever stopped and spoken to the guy or girl?

TBH looking at that video I think its just down to the poor driver in the VXR, always misses his apex's etc.

No doubt in that the Clio is the better car around the track, but the VXR guy was the worse driver.

he holds his speed through the corners reasonably well just seems like he is on his brakes for too long.

he holds his speed through the corners reasonably well just seems like he is on his brakes for too long.

Yea, and turns in too early on some corners where the clio keeps out and does a late apex. The VXR was all over the place. :tongueout:anic:

TBH looking at that video I think its just down to the poor driver in the VXR, always misses his apex's etc.

No doubt in that the Clio is the better car around the track, but the VXR guy was the worse driver.

I agree. WXR driver didn't hit few apex's through whole lap. Clio driver uses so much more track-hiting almost every curb.

I must admit I like the VXRs. I think they're pretty smart looking. A bit OTT maybe but still, they certainly stand out. A mate of mine has one and with limited mods (Filter, Remap, Remus Exhaust), it read 227BHP on the same rollers my 197 (Filter) read 193BHP. There's no way I'd get anywhere near 227BHP with a Remap and an Exhaust. Turbo engines offer far more BHP Per Pound than N/A, that's just how it is.

But, I never considered one when buying the Clio. The Clio is what it is, the best in it's class, very well rounded. As good as the engine is, the chassis is it's equal. Unlike the VXR in MY opinion. I prefer the looks of the Clio as it's quite subtle but obviously sporty and it doesn't have the same ''Nobhead Driver'' reputation as the VXR does. The Clio is, in MY opinion the better all round car. I can take this on a track as it is and keep up with most things. The VXR just doesn't handle as well, but it's still a fine car. To be honest, I think they're aimed at different audiences anyway.

I don't understand why people get so blinkered sometimes. It's like the old 106 vs Saxo debates I used to see all the time when I had my Rallye. They're 99.9% the same bloody car and people used to argue all day long about them instead of just appreciating the pro's/con's of each. It's like the Evo and Impreza boys, some are complete arses and just will not acknowledge the other of being a good car. A good car is a good car, regardless of what badge is on the front of it.

Either way, the VXR and the Clio both piss all over the Fiesta ST. :thumbup:

I agree, **** the armchair YouTube link community lol

I base my opinions on my own experiences and the 197 and 200 can hold their heads high on both track and fast road driving. I've driven a Corsa VXR too and really liked both the drive and the way it looked. As said, I agree the handling and brakes aren't quite as good, but still a very capable car.

I I agree the handling and brakes aren't quite as good, but still a very capable car.

i agree,vauxhall are looking in to this with the new nurburgring corsa vxr coming out,but the corsa vxr will never have the chassis the clio has,all the years racing the clio has worked,:thumbup:.
also thanks to ren sport,vauxhall now do vxr power event's for owners.