Clio 197 not that fast???

Guys. We're talking about Saxos and Vauxhalls here. Does it really matter?! Shit cars. I'm sure if it did matter, then a few laps on the track would give you your hard on back.

Guys. We're talking about Saxos and Vauxhalls here. Does it really matter?! Shit cars. I'm sure if it did matter, then a few laps on the track would give you your hard on back.

Please don't slag of Saxos - Suki was a legend of a VTS, and I adored her :smile: tacky yes, but not shit..

Vauxhalls however.....

:wink:

Well this week I kept up with a 09 Focus RS, had some fun with an old style S4 which wasn't as quick as I expected and 20mins ago I showed a Golf gti what is what. In the past I managed to keep up with an Astra VXR up to some ridiculous speeds so Im more than pleased with the performance I can get when the mood takes me. All in all I love to have a car put a smile on my face. I prefer not to be racing ppl partly because they get in the way, but mainly because Im happier to get on an empty road and enjoy myself.

Unfortunately, I am incredibly anti racing, as it was the actions of a total **** racing in his 106 that killed a friend of mine 2/3 weeks ago, so on this basis, I cannot offer an opinion on this!

Please please don't race people - see my signature for the reason - “The error of one moment becomes the sorrow of a whole life” - Chinese Proverb

Yeah I completely see where you are coming from Mike, and I am so sorry about your friend. I like to think I am responsible and we all know that the Clio is capable of a lot, I have never put anyone in any sort of danger because I too am well aware of the consequences of people who cant drive. My granddad was killed by an incompetent driver and there is nothing that annoys me more than people who take liberties while in their cars.

I just really enjoy driving and as I said I like to make the most of opportunities...

Yeah I completely see where you are coming from Mike, and I am so sorry about your friend. I like to think I am responsible and we all know that the Clio is capable of a lot, I have never put anyone in any sort of danger because I too am well aware of the consequences of people who cant drive. My granddad was killed by an incompetent driver and there is nothing that annoys me more than people who take liberties while in their cars.

I just really enjoy driving and as I said I like to make the most of opportunities...

I agree, try driving from Inverness to Peterhead (Liambo land) 08h30 on a Sunday morning - empty roads :wink:

Lol I will do on my next visit especially if Liambo is offering guided tours!!! From your pics it is immense and I know form my own experiences it is properly nice driving country, going round Loch Lomond is great - I have done it twice and it is worth the long drive!

Lol I will do on my next visit especially if Liambo is offering guided tours!!! From your pics it is immense and I know form my own experiences it is properly nice driving country, going round Loch Lomond is great - I have done it twice and it is worth the long drive!

Liambo is a Legend - it says so under his name :wink:

Me and my 2 best friends are going camping up there in July

Anyway, better not divert this thread any further off topic :smile:

NO RACING!!!!! IT KILLS!!!!

My friend and I have done some acceleration tests. He has a Colt CJ0 1.6 100 bhp with some mods, and it's like 300 lg lighter. At the beggining I was worried because it took me so much to get to his car and pass it (I alwayar started behind him).

When you start to know the car a little bit more you improve a lot (this is my first 6 speed car for example, and my first "closed ratios" gearbox) and you start to get the full potential of the car, but it's not as easy as a turbo car (talking experience), and saxos car get very angry. I had a 106 rallye and I was racing golf's IV GTI as if they were Lupos.

Also, the car doesn't feel like is going fast, but when you notice it, you go faster than you should, for sure.

Oh, and forgot to mention, there's difference between 95 and 98 ron.

Last edited:
Raptor6767, I've seen a lot of your videos! They are very motivating :wink:

It wasn't that one, it was one of the previous generation.I didn't have problems passing him, but if you're not in the correct gear you're screwed.

Powerband is one of the major downsides of this car (I'm used to turbos), along with the lack of an LSD, I think

Powerband is one of the major downsides of this car (I'm used to turbos), along with the lack of an LSD, I think

True. And another thing - if this car had that 194bhp in the start it would fly.

I think that it doesn't lack an LSD because it has enough of traction. LSD can't help you much with good starts but it can do miracles in corners - if you compare R26 with 197.

I think that it doesn't lack an LSD because it has enough of traction. LSD can't help you much with good starts but it can do miracles in corners - if you compare R26 with 197.

In which way does the R26 behave better than a 197 through corners?
I have not driven an R26 so i would like to know.

Last edited:
In which way does the R26 behave better than a 197 through corners?
I have not driven an R26 so i would like to know.

18" wheels with Michelin tyres and among all else - LSD.

Really makes a difference in tight corners, and in snow too.

That's interesting to see, but istn the CZT already a turbocharged car? Still alot of difference with an 120bhp saxo.

Just to mention, I'm not a person who takes out his car to go out an race against others, although I tend to step on the gas more in smaller country roads :biggrin:, but not in a way that I risk others lives.

I've seen people go into blind turns at way to much speed, but that's just a wild guess risking you life and most of all that of others...

That's interesting to see, but istn the CZT already a turbocharged car? Still alot of difference with an 120bhp saxo.

You mean the saxo is faster than the CZT or the other way around?

As far as i am concerned the CZT would be faster in every test except maybe from a standstill test. From 0 to 120-140 km/h the saxo could be in front with a good start.

To get back on the thread subject though, the 197 is not slow at all..

I have done tests with enough cars to be sure of that and also relieved as at first i thought that i would get spanked by anything turbocharged...

Few examples:
Vs rx8 (190 ps): 3rd and only 4.000rpm up to 5th and 6.000 i was in front with a two car length.

Vs A4 1.8T (180ps): from standstill to 170km/h i was in front by 3 car length.

And recently,unofficialy, i raced a mazda 6 mps,the one that has about 270ps and from 2nd and 6.000 he couldn't pull off me until we met traffic..

p.s. My 197 is totally stock.

My 200 fought off a golf Gti yesterday from 0 to about 75 going off the lights onto the motorway, I put my brakes on at 75 because the motorway was quiet busy but I was 2 car lenghts infront of him so the 200 did very well

Please don't take this the wrong way, but please don't race the buggers....

I wouldn't want to see this in the papers again...

eb9Ad.jpg

No he wasn't racing someone, but he was still racing....and it cost my friend his life...

That's all I'm gonna say about this whole thing now