Cam belt replacement :thumb1:

My 197 is in for its cam belt today. It was making an awful noise which I thought was due to this needing replacing. Turns out it wasn't the cam belt at all that was making the noise and in fact was a hole on the manifold somewhere.
Please please please be a failed gasket and not a cracked manifold. Anyway got a good deal on the cam belt and water pump so :smile::smile::smile:

As soon as the maintenance has been completed though I'm hoping to get some perfomance upgrades on my beauty and some pics hopefully. (Just need to convince the girlfreind :hug:

Where are you getting the work done?

And if you don't tell her and have the shiny bits delivered to work then she'll never know. :thumbup:

Well the cam belt is being done at a garage in Urmston called Glebe Road Garage services.
Got a good price from them £335 for Cam and water pump. Best I could find anyway.

As for the upgrades, I quite like what Jamsport did to MikeLYR27, and I've heard that K Tec are good. Any suggestions?

Parts were supplied yes, It was kind of a friend of a friend job. The garage was busy though so I had to wait 2 weeks. Which meant I missed out on a Nurburgring trip.

Has anyone experienced a cracked manifold before?

Last edited:
Parts were supplied yes, It was kind of a friend of a friend job. The garage was busy though so I had to wait 2 weeks.

Has anyone experienced a cracked manifold before?

yes - theres been a few reported on here - flexis are also a "weak" point over time...

Any recommendations for a decent replacement part. Thinking of putting some upgrades on anyway might as well replace with a upgrade.

there was a manifold advertised on ebay - looked a good piece of kit - cannot remember by who :blink:

It feels so good to have my car back again, I've been driving in my gf's C2 Furio.
I feel like the day I bought the car, totally amazed by the grip and cornering. And compared to the C2 the gearbox is epic. :jump1:

The gearboxes are epic though. Great action, solid feeling, short throw. Its just a shame they have a habit of going pop :worried:

Mmm, Gearbox gets eaten by the rest of the car though. It does have a great feeel, I remember when I went from a 1.2 172 to RS 197, one of the major changes was the feel of how tight the gearbox was, close and solid. But internally she's getting ripped apart slowly. Don't get me wrong if they didn't fail on most cars it would be a cracking little box, unforuanly not on the RS's though. :smile:

when i say epic, i'm not refering to the reliability, i mean the ratios and solidity (if that's a word) The way it pulls at the same rate from second to third to forth and so on.
I don't know maybe im being a little naive; i probably wont be saying this when the gearbox does finally go :swear:£££:zomg:

But until that time im going to enjoy it.

Im finding excuses at the mo to go out and have a drive.