crank pulley change on cambelt replacement

Foxspeed

"the new red baron"
had a chat with someone last night and got showed a technical bulletin from renault that the crankpulley should be changed when the cambelt is replaced....£140 worth i may add!!!

interesting stuff given that mine is due end of the month :001_rolleyes:

I'd find a nice lightweight alloy version to stick on there in it's place, but that's just me :tongueout:

Bought 2 cambelt kits off Renault now and they have never advised me of this!

I was advised this by Renault but the dealer (who I know well) said that this was a recent change and if it was his car, he wouldn't do it as they rarely ever go on Renaults. Funnily enough, the same was not said about Citroen.

I was advised this by Renault but the dealer (who I know well) said that this was a recent change and if it was his car, he wouldn't do it as they rarely ever go on Renaults. Funnily enough, the same was not said about Citroen.

yeh - not heard of any going but be nice if anyone did know of any failures...just seems strange that now they need changing

200 cambelt is 6yrs....and as far as i know there arent any differences!

some of the newer fr4 engines now have key ways and woodruf key location for the bottom pulleys again from a respected in the know source :001_rolleyes:

Picking my car up this afternoon having just had the cambelt service. I haven't changed the crank pulley.

Cambelt change: is crankshaft pulley necessary?

I've got my cambelt coming up and I've been told by the Renault dealer that they need to replace the camshaft pulley or I won't get a warranty. This parts pretty expensive and I was wondering whether you guys think it's worth replacing on a car with only £24k miles? Cheers

Don't think it has to be done but I'm sure someone will post up for definite

I'm not sure either matt. I got asked the same thing. I mean I only do 15miles a day and 1-2 motorway journeys a month, so looking at 6k in total per year. My 197 has 41.5k on the clock. Due to redundancy either in the year i've been putting it off until I start my new job next month and when I get to 45k.

Renault told me the camshaft pulley is rubber mounted and would need replacing but I don't know if I should bother replacing it due to low milieage like your clio and how much it is from Karl as it doesn't come in a normal cambelt and waterpump kit.

I'm going to get my Aux belt and water pump done also at the same time.

I was thinking of taking it to RenTech down in Portsmouth, they quoted my £530 alot cheaper than my local renault dealers at £750 (their recent special offer) or £850 standard price (riduculous price).

Another option I am looking into would be buying waterpump, cambelt, and aux belt kit off Karl (Twingeekeo) and getting my local garage to fit it to reduce the cost.

I'll ask Karl how much the rubber mounted camshaft pulley is.

I'm not sure either matt. I got asked the same thing. I mean I only do 15miles a day and 1-2 motorway journeys a month, so looking at 6k in total per year. My 197 has 41.5k on the clock. Due to redundancy either in the year i've been putting it off until I start my new job next month and when I get to 45k.

Renault told me the camshaft pulley is rubber mounted and would need replacing but I don't know if I should bother replacing it due to low milieage like your clio and how much it is from Karl as it doesn't come in a normal cambelt and waterpump kit.

I'm going to get my Aux belt and water pump done also at the same time.

I was thinking of taking it to RenTech down in Portsmouth, they quoted my £530 alot cheaper than my local renault dealers at £750 (their recent special offer) or £850 standard price (riduculous price).

Another option I am looking into would be buying waterpump, cambelt, and aux belt kit off Karl (Twingeekeo) and getting my local garage to fit it to reduce the cost.

I'll ask Karl how much the rubber mounted camshaft pulley is.

This is what I did and so have a few others and it's all genuine R/Parts at a lot cheaper prices

I've not seen a cam pulley fitted to a car in the last 20 years that isn't a harmonic damper. There's no need to replace them, it's just someone's selling something they've got a good deal on

For info my local independent garage said my wifes Renault Scenic (1.6 petrol) needed a new pulley when we had the cambelt done 2 months ago. Price was circa £170 inc VAT for the part alone.
He said it was slightly wobbly and that he does tend to see this with Renault engines.

There are some interesting viewpoints here. The particular dealer I talked to was wests cambridge which I was advised to use by Steve. I can only assume therefore that they know their stuff on renaultsports