best wheel offset? (ultraleggera)

I’ve searched for this and can’t find the exact answer I’m after - and possibly will help In the future for others!

So basically it seems that I can get oz ultraleggera in

17” by 8” in 55 offset but they have to be black

I can get autec wizard in

17” by 7.5” In 45 offset in anthracite

Bit stumped what to go for - I am going to go low (-40mm) so to prevent rubbing is it better to have the ultra with the wider width but less aggressive offset? Or the narrower autec with more aggressive offset?

Consensus seems to be the 8” with et55 - but people who run this has it been okay with -40mm drop?

Even though the Autec's are not as wide, due to offset being lower it will actually poke out more than the OZ's (by 3.7mm more than the OZ wheels).

Also if you are lowering the car 40mm you most likely will get rubbing on both setups (unless your setup is a lot stiffer).

1599127375292.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It’s difficult to decide which way to go. Definitely want a better offset (mainly for aesthetic) but don’t want the clio to suddenly start handling like a meg and be overly stable. I love how the clios move about under braking / mid corner.

I actually love the way it handles at the moment. Maybe I should leave it as it is!!

Et55 on an 8j will keep the handling pretty much exactly the same as stock, as the wheels scrub remains unaffected.

I’m back with more offset questions. Has anyone any experience with the speed line turini and how it’s affected handling?

Assume as most really want the look and lightness of some nee wheels, but don’t inadvertently want to wreck the delicate balance the clio has

I’m currently stuck between oz ultraleggera 17 with 8” with

Or recently just seen the speed line turini at ap which are 17 x 7 with an offset of et41

Ultra are 0.5 lighter per wheel so no major decision based on weight

I am planning on coilovers with a drop of 40 minimum - worried the speed line with that et are going to be problematic with rubbing - but then they are an inch less wide?

Any help greatfully received - I hate offset and wheel decisions!

someone mentioned scrub radius before? Is there much difference between the two above options?

Thanks

The scrub radius will be affected, but I personally never noticed a difference with mine when I fitted my Team Dyanmics (which are also 17x7)
You will be fine with et41 and that amount of drop.

Did you notice any significant reduction in overall grip with the narrower width? They will be my track wheels so will have direzza on so would assume that would compensate for the reduction in width

Can’t say I noticed much of a difference. But I’ve not got anything to back that up as I wasn’t on track with any of my mates at the time.
You can still run 215 direzza’s on 7j no problems

Thanks for that. Thanks for confirming you can still go 215. Contact patch will be pretty much the same then. Thanks again

Ahh sorry just been looking at some more detailed information on what the different alloy options mean in terms of distance to the suspension hub

Comparing the oz ultraleggera 17” and 8” wide with et 55 and the speedline turrini at 17”and 7” wide with et 42

- distance they stick out is very similar
- distance between the wheel and suspension mount is 3.2 cm for the speedline, and only 0.6cm for the oz

Feels like a big difference in the distance to the susp mount. Really don’t want to damage the handling - but then again the maxi uses the speedlines so can’t be that detrimental to handling! Is anyone running speedline turrini on a 200?

They'll feel same as the Oz wheels, you won't notice much difference.

Also technically you should be comparing it to the OEM wheel of 17x7.5 ET68, the Turini will poke out 19.7mm more, many people run 20mm spacers, so it's more or less identical.

The changes won't be massive, so just get either and enjoy it, or do a test and by 20mm spacers...if you're happy with them, then buy the Turini wheels.

You're lowering the car quite a lot, that has an effect on all your calculations anyways, so it's not like it's going to be a standard car and putting different wheels.

Thanks - I did have spacers on before and they weren’t massively worse - just seemed to dial down the ‘feel’ on the dead ahead - and obviously didn’t want the added weight.

Car has changed so much recently with lowering / h&r springs / full bushes it would be hard for me to compare to back then.

Think oz, as has been detailed many times on the forum are a good way to increase the look without massively impacting the geo.

Yeah exactly, the difference is so marginal, you won't notice it unless you were racing for that 0.1sec.

They're both good, so don't discount the Turini, as they're used a lot more in mainland Europe, probably down to availability.
So pick one that you like, if they're in your budget then do a buy, you can't go wrong with either.