best wheel offset? (ultraleggera)

toying with the idea of a set of ultraleggera's for christmas

im wanting 7.5x17" for weight saving over the 8x17 and im happy with the standard tyre size etc.

what is the best offset for handling? stick with the standard ET68 or go for a wider track?

i considdered speedline turini's (prefer the look of them to be honest) but is it right they dont do the right fitment for the 197?

I have (And so do others) the 17 x 8" Ultraleggeras in the offet of ET55. I have seen a couple of guys running Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in the offset of ET45.

Both fill the arches nicely.

Also, the normal 215/45/17 tyres fit onto an 8" wheel.

how come you went for the 8" wheel over the 7.5 if you werent changing tyre size?

do they come in an offset greater than ET55?

how come you went for the 8" wheel over the 7.5 if you werent changing tyre size?

You could say I followed the trend. Everyone I know that has them on there 197/200s has the 8" version.

The slight strech on the wider wheel make the car more nimble on the track I found.

As far as speedline turinis, I think they only suit the 172/182s. Think I've seen a pic of them in 17" and they looked naff (Nothing special).

Look here:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160&page=44

The white 197 in the first pic. Are they Turinis?

Last edited:
Perfect offset, for me it's ET55 plainy because I love how my car looks with the OZ's on.

Like Noddie said you can go to ET45 ( standard being ET68 )

The only 17" fitment for the 197 (when I bought them) was 17"x8" and ET55

Ideally you'd want 17"x7.5" for the extra weight saving. Even if you do fit wider tyres the contact patch will always be the same size so you wont have more grip, only different characteristics.

Last edited:
Perfect offset, for me it's ET55 plainy because I love how my car looks with the OZ's on.

Like Noddie said you can go to ET45 (standard being ET68)

The only 17" fitment for the 197 (when I bought them) was 17"x8" and ET55

Ideally you'd want 17"x7.5" for the extra weight saving. Even if you do fit wider tyres the contact patch will always be the same size so you wont have more grip, only different characteristics.

yeah i had a look into this and the only offset which comes close (ET55) is only available on the 8" rim. i think the matt graphite is not available either - only matt black or silver in 17x8 ET55

the turinis are available for the 197 but theyre 18". they look amazing but i dont want to spoil the handling

changine wheel width can actually change mid-cornering characteristics, and as for weight saving ........ a 1/2 inch banding is very small weight increase compared to teh overall weight of a wheel, something i wudnt worry about,

yeah i would prefer to keep the 7.5" width to be honest but with the clio wheel being such an odd offset there are very few choices available so the 8" ET55 is the best alternative apparently.

got my suspensioon sorted now so maybe i could stretch to a new set of wheels for christmass too. though i wouldnt be fitting them until the spring!

Okay question for the masses my liquid yellow car has the grey pack - would you go gloss black or grey for the ultraleggeras I intend to buy?

Secondly - has anyone got or have pictures with the 48 offset? The grey don’t seem to be widely available with the 55 offset.

I don’t really want to get this offset as presume with aggressive lowered coilovers I’m going to have problems with rubbing

Sorry lastly presume the pcd is 100 for the clio 200?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply - yes would go 8J. Will have another look round but my usual suspects don’t look like they have stock!

Hmm don’t seem to have graphite in the correct offset.

Also looking the autec wizard Is significantly lighter (6.8kg) and cheaper. Tempted