Back In

Id say no it wasnt solved. The loud clunk felt through the steering wheel has gone....but....id still say there is play in the rack. When pulling away with a little lock on you feel a knocking through the steering wheel asif the wheels are straightening slightly.

Replacing the column has also made no difference to the vague feel on the road and the heavy steering.

Oh and the air bag light flashes from time to time since theyve had the wheel off.

Will get back onto Renault today. Hopefully, what with Renault Technical Department calling the shots, my dealership wont argue with me and will get back to RUK for the next step...hoping that the rack is the next port of call. The way i see it is now there is a case open with RUK, and they are footing the bill, i should keep persuing until im totally happy.

Atleast that way i know ALL majoy components have been covered.

Last edited:
Ahaha as always with Renault

On another note, the bodyshop at Smiths in Peterborough seem very efficient, lets hope they get the colour match right, i dont want a saga like Maz had!

Well well well....it appears ive not been imagining things afterall!

Car has been in since last Wednesday. Took the tech out, he heard and felt the knock and said that RUK shouldnt have an issue approving the rack replacement. Next two days they couldnt get it to knock on demand so if RUK wanted to perform an inspection, they couldnt prove the problem to them.

After much deliberation, Monday morning the manager decided to go ahead with the rack replacement along with checking every component on the front end to make sure nothing was missed....this along with some other bits (air bag rotary switch, nearside door handle, window seals, spoiler)

Got an email late last night...

Good Afternoon Mr Marshall,

The technician has found some stiffness in the drivers side upper and lower Trunions after removing the hub for closer inspection. These trunions only come as part of the perfo-hub assembly and so will need to be replaced. We have ordered the parts and will update you tomorrow on the progress. More delays I know, but seems prudent to replace these parts whilst the car is in bits.

Ohhhhh so there has been problems with the steering weight...told you so!

Why they hadnt popped the arms off before and checked the swivel joints i do not know!

Should be like a new car!!

Well well well....it appears ive not been imagining things afterall!

Car has been in since last Wednesday. Took the tech out, he heard and felt the knock and said that RUK shouldnt have an issue approving the rack replacement. Next two days they couldnt get it to knock on demand so if RUK wanted to perform an inspection, they couldnt prove the problem to them.

After much deliberation, Monday morning the manager decided to go ahead with the rack replacement along with checking every component on the front end to make sure nothing was missed....this along with some other bits (air bag rotary switch, nearside door handle, window seals, spoiler)

Got an email late last night...

Ohhhhh so there has been problems with the steering weight...told you so!

Why they hadnt popped the arms off before and checked the swivel joints i do not know!

Should be like a new car!!

i did say didnt i thats what they should have done!!

been alot of renaults money wasted on doing "cheap/quick fixes" :whatever:

You did say, a long time ago.

But i wasnt to interfere after the **** i got off them!

That knock in the video was definately rack area though...they had better have gone ahead with that replacement too

You did say, a long time ago.

But i wasnt to interfere after the **** i got off them!

That knock in the video was definately rack area though...they had better have gone ahead with that replacement too

its a similar fault to what the meganes suffer from except its even more expensive on them!!!

Whilst they are at it, they might as well replace the chassis and bodywork. It's going to be like triggers broom!

They can swap it for the 62 plate one on their forecourt, will need painting yellow first though.

Orrrr major contribution towards a 265 lol

Glad to hear some good new on this thread :smile: hope you all gets sorted finally and you can start really enjoying the car properly!

How Fast.......??

Good Morning Mr Marshall.

Steering rack and both O/S hubs have been replaced. Spoiler and door handle to fit today as the new handle that we had ordered turned up with a scratch in it. Road testing this afternoon hopefully and I will update you later.

Actually excited about picking it up now!