Astra Vxr Or Clio 197. FAO 197 owners

hello
im new

Ive recently decided to upgrade my car

Ive narrowed my decision to a

Astra Vxr
Or
Clio 197

Im here to ask your opinions, on whats a better car?

I can imagine some being biased on her but always good to hear other owners opinions/thoughts.

How do they compare to the VXR?
What sort of miles do you lot get to a tank?

whats the servicing like? cheap? easy?

anything to look for when testing a 197?

Thanks lads/ladies of clio200net.

regards

Hi Mate,

Both cars are good, and each have their positives.

However I have only had my 197 for 3 weeks exact and tbh my 197 does attract alot of head turners, where as the Astra VXR has been out for a few years now and looks slightly a bit dated and quite boxy shaped.

Clio advantages:

• N/A engine (no turbo to go wrong) but still pulls like a train.
    197 is cheaper to purchase used
  • 17" tyres instead of 19", cheaper tyre costs when replacing.
  • Looks alot better with the modern day hot hatch. The 197 look won't date for a long time unlike the previous 182 or Astra VXR
  • Renault sport are renowned for their performance and handling and are one of the experts in hot hatches if not the best. The clio grips to the road and is very balanced even with standard suspension (non-cup) like mine.
  • Looks nicer inside interior wise
  • Cheaper parts (exterior and interior)
  • Recaro seats (standard recaro seats in the clio are alot more comfy than VXR astra.)

Hope this helps mate, but you will only know for yourself by test driving them both mate :smile:

197 FTW

Regards,

Chris

some cracking responses on here.

i appreciate every comment.

Ive currently(earlier)
booked a day in vauxhall(corsa & astra)vxr

And the remainder of the day in renault.
They are both getting me the cars in too try.

Quite excited...

Chaz.. Are you still in the VXR and enjoying it?

Im not personally worried about performance mods.
apart from a exhaust & panel filter and a general whoring with the gear(cleaning) :smile:

I'd really like a go in the corsa ring special edition. Bilsteins, LSD, meant to be very good. I'd take one over a 200 without hesitation, but very pricey.

Had a nurburg ring and 2 arden blue , very fun cars expensive when they go wrong but i must admit from there i dropped to a clio trophy N/A from a 300bhp astra and to tell the truth i had more fun in the clio than all my astra's

cheaper to run , less problems i would say and also the clio handles alot better , to make the astra handle you need to get a good suspension setup and a rarb,

if i was you i would get a clio and a nice spec , good mpg,good looks, cheaper servicing etc ,

many problems with the astras turbo seals , piston fail , gearbox blowing , had a few issues with mine very expensive repairs.

Yip mate I'm still in the astra vxr only got it a couple of weeks ago and loving it the power of it is so good don't even have to work it hard.I also have a milltek fitted to it which sounds amazing with the pop and bangs. People say about the handling but you could just get that sort out with suspension and that an the car would be a great all rounder and can still tune it also. But on the Clio you would have to spend like £4000 to get 50bhp out of it there both diffrent classes in there own way it's down to personal preferences which you would rather handling or power a would try a test drive in both mate.

what you getting to a tank dude?

i will update this thread when i get my testers :smile:

thanks!!!

A couldn't tell you mate wasn't paying attention to it when I filled the car up. A went a journey in the car that I normally do sumtimes which is aboot 200 miles and i had more petrol in the car left over than I did in the Clio was quite surprised to be honest there's not much diffrence in mpg to be honest mate.

C'mon Chaz. The Astra doesnt sound as good as the Clio :wink:

Though we will soon see who's sounds better at the RR day :bounce:

The Clio is great out of the box, the astra requires work to be great.

So if you buy the Clio you start with a great car and you won't need to spend ANY money for it to be a seriously good car.
The Astra is a relatively ok car that you'll need to spend money on for it to handle anywhere close to a Clio and inevitably on engine upgrades. It's forced induction and so inherently less reliable.

I've been around a few Astra's at a track day and they are quick, passing me in the Clio but they all had various mods, weren't flying past and only caught up on the straights still lost ground in corners and under braking though.

Comparing apples with pears to be honest.....Meg v Astra better comparison. Megs have the looks only a mother could love. Plus I'd only have a R26, but a good one is 10 grand. I'd prefer to wait for the 250's to reduce in price. Astra's (like most sporty vauxhalls) stigmatised by the chav label and are misunderstood.

Generally, I'm very disappointed in the car market. There is nothing currently realistically I'd get into debt for.

Last edited:
Update

Been in a 60 plate red astra vxr. Vxr racing edition

Felt smooth,power delivery nice.
Didn't give it full beans!
Sounds immense.
Felt abit hard. The area looking out on the cabin was small
I'm 6 foot and my head was hitting roof.

Going to go in White 197 sport this afternoon :smile: hopefully.

Comparing apples with pears to be honest.....Meg v Astra better comparison. Megs have the looks only a mother could love. Plus I'd only have a R26, but a good one is 10 grand. I'd prefer to wait for the 250's to reduce in price. Astra's (like most sporty vauxhalls) stigmatised by the chav label and are misunderstood.

Generally, I'm very disappointed in the car market. There is nothing currently realistically I'd get into debt for.

sorry been lurking for a while as hankering after an R27 or 200 but wanted to post in response to this as i was looking at the prices of R26s now and wondering why that wouldn't be a better choice pricewise.

i don't think you need 10k for a decent R26. This for instance;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201130406776255/sort/priceasc/usedcars/postcode/b301dh/page/2/keywords/r26/radius/1500?logcode=p

Whereas you can't pick up an R27 unless you're spending a little more.

I'm looking for a fun second car, not a daily so wondering about the trade offs.

To keep on topic - Astra VXR - don't do it :thumbdown: yack. Sorry to the owner in the thread by the way.

Update

Been in a 60 plate red astra vxr. Vxr racing edition

Felt smooth,power delivery nice.
Didn't give it full beans!
Sounds immense.
Felt abit hard. The area looking out on the cabin was small
I'm 6 foot and my head was hitting roof.

Going to go in White 197 sport this afternoon :smile: hopefully.

If you thought the astra was hard, don't go for the cup pack then! lol

Although I think the cup pack, although firm, still has a quality feel to it!

How can you compare a 197 to a Astra VXR. They are in different class segments for a start. Its either RS Clio/ VXR Corsa, or RS Megane/VXR Astra?

!

Last edited by a moderator:
av gotta side with gaz on this one, my m8s got a astra vxr and has chipped it n stuff his is pushing out about 290bhp, the power is amazing but still wouldnt trade him my clio for it.

i have owned both.and clio cheaper to run.went through tyre like nothing else in the astra.my clio is now for sale

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6705russell Other Marques 16
Adam_C Detailing 5
Ashton Other Marques 14
djjackwilson Projects & Progress 20
A2ON Clio General Chat 14