AP Brakes discs for OEM calipers?

But two piece just look so good haha....I am tempted.

It's a bit confusing as some of them are larger and need those mounting brackets on the calipers too.

What are the options overall. Of both standard sizes and the larger (310??) ones?

Get the reyland/cazan, I saw you were going for ds2500's, those pads will overheat before you need to be concerned about the internal vein structure of the rotors.
Iirc is they are using AP bolt spacing so you can always replace the rotors with 330mm AP when the time comes. -That's my plan anyway, my 330's I'm hoping will turn up this week.

Get the reyland/cazan, I saw you were going for ds2500's, those pads will overheat before you need to be concerned about the internal vein structure of the rotors.
Iirc is they are using AP bolt spacing so you can always replace the rotors with 330mm AP when the time comes. -That's my plan anyway, my 330's I'm hoping will turn up this week.

Thanks mate. So you've bought the Cazan kit then?

There are basically three options right?

Cazan 330mm
Performance Friction 330mm
AP 310??mm

The top two need a bracket to space the calipers out from the discs, and the Cazan ones are cheapest. That sound right? Tempted with the Cazan kit, if you are able to stick some photos up of yours when they arrive that would be cool [emoji106]

Cazan 330mm
AP 310??mm

The top two need a bracket to space the calipers out from the discs, and the Cazan ones are cheapest. That sound right? Tempted with the Cazan kit, if you are able to stick some photos up of yours when they arrive that would be cool [emoji106]

No there's one more, I have Godspeed 330mm on my Megane now so there's another make to throw in the mix.

im really happy with them and using DS3000 pads with them.

Cazan 330mm
AP 310??mm

Also have Brembo 313mm and Ktec (presume 312mm and hi spec I think they are) as 2-piece options.

My Cazan have turned up:

IMG_3993-750x410.jpg

They have strange machine marks though which I'm checking on as I have never had discs with this on before:

IMG_3996-750x410.jpg

The caliper spacers are just 4 x black steel circular pieces - not like the Performance firction which uses a machined piece of metal shaped like a bar.

Also the kit didn't come with longer caliper bolts whereas the Performance friction kit does. I am going to get a price for the bolts from Ktec - tbh at the moment I would just say get the PF kit.... I may send mine back. I just wanted gold bells against the LY paint :worried:

Also have Brembo 313mm and Ktec (presume 312mm and hi spec I think they are) as 2-piece options.

My Cazan have turned up:

IMG_3993-750x410.jpg

They have strange machine marks though which I'm checking on as I have never had discs with this on before:

IMG_3996-750x410.jpg

The caliper spacers are just 4 x black steel circular pieces - not like the Performance firction which uses a machined piece of metal shaped like a bar.

Also the kit didn't come with longer caliper bolts whereas the Performance friction kit does. I am going to get a price for the bolts from Ktec - tbh at the moment I would just say get the PF kit.... I may send mine back. I just wanted gold bells against the LY paint :worried:

That's a bit poo. So you're not able to bolt the calipers on as they didn't come with bolts?? Surely they should?

Hi spec so gold coloured stuff too. And you say they do a kit for the Clio?

The spacers not an issue actually, just looking at the exploded diag now. I thought a bar would be better because the whole caliper is braced - but given how it's mounted the spacers will be fine (not really any advantage either way):

01040213_3_zps79419d65.png

I did expect longer high tensile caliper bolts though. I know it's only 18mm but given the PF kit has them I think for saftey using the OE bolts is not ideal.

I will get a price from ktec for PF bolts - but if it's a lot or they can not supply them - I have no choice IMO but to send back.

Regards the machine marks, it might be for balancing, waiting on info right now.

Yeah the grooves in the rotors are balance cuts and apparently normal. So thats cool.

Just the bolts to try and sort.

Yeah the grooves in the rotors are balance cuts and apparently normal. So thats cool.

Just the bolts to try and sort.

Yes was going to say I think that's fine as I am sure my AP brakes on the Rallye have those on.

So they do not supply the bolts required to bolt the calipers to the strut once the bigger discs have been fitted?

There is also this Godspeed kit, note the comment about the bolts!

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/megane-2-rs/104-330mm-big-disc-kit-for-renault-sport.html

This is what the spacer on my Rallye AP brakes is like:

AP16.jpg

AP04.jpg

AP05.jpg

AP14.jpg

Last edited:
The spacer on the rallye is irrelevant because it converts from lug to radial mount iirc.

These spacers simply push out the caliper by X mm to allow for the bigger disc. I was expecting a bar but if you look at the hub design a bar offers no improvement to rigidity, so the collars (think fat washers) supplied in the Reyland kit are fine.

I have no issues with the kit except for the lack of longer bolts. Apparently Reyland tested the OE bolts and found them fine... I am probably being paranoid but I like to tackle everything I do with an element of over engineering!

The spacer on the rallye is irrelevant because it converts from lug to radial mount iirc.

These spacers simply push out the caliper by X mm to allow for the bigger disc. I was expecting a bar but if you look at the hub design a bar offers no improvement to rigidity, so the collars (think fat washers) supplied in the Reyland kit are fine.

I have no issues with the kit except for the lack of longer bolts. Apparently Reyland tested the OE bolts and found them fine... I am probably being paranoid but I like to tackle everything I do with an element of over engineering!

Yea I know the design is different in the Rallye was just showing the quality of the AP set up its mint!

Ok so those Cazans shouldn't need long bolts then. Surely there will be less thread in contact if they can't bolt in as far? It may be fine but think I'd source some longer high tensiles from silverstone motor factors if I go for these.

The AP discs for the Clio just fit straight on under the oem calipers without spacers right? And the ketch kit (which I believe is made by PF) cone with longer bolts. If it's one area I wouldn't take the risk on its brakes! I do like things to be over engineered too so I hear where you're coming from dude!

Last edited:
Yea I know the design is different in the Rallye was just showing the quality of the AP set up its mint!

Ok so those Cazans shouldn't need long bolts then. Surely there will be less thread in contact if they can't bolt in as far? It may be fine but think I'd source some longer high tensiles from silverstone motor factors if I go for these.

The AP discs for the Clio just fit straight on under the oem calipers without spacers right? And the ketch kit (which I believe is made by PF) cone with longer bolts. If it's one area I wouldn't take the risk on its brakes! I do like things to be over engineered too so I hear where you're coming from dude!

Exactly, I've only got a crappy tape measure to hand but about 10mm less thread in the hole. (I think the Godspeed kit mentions 9mm longer bolts so makes sense, esp given the discs are 18mm bigger).
Reyland say it's not a problem to use OE, but I kinda feel it wouldn't hurt to source some 9mm longer HT bolts. IMO they should really be supplied.

AP discs fit straight on, but the discs are 2mm smaller. You could never possibly notice it, and the strucutre of the discs (curved internal veins) means it will perform very well. But knowing i'd fitted smaller discs would just bug the **** out of me!

Ktec do 2. They resale the PF kit (330mm), and they have an OE size kit - which I believe is actually made by Hi Spec.

The 'best', are the PF kits. However, I have seen PF kits with poorly weathered bells after not much use. Also black is too boring, so you'd have to factor in re-anodising costs of the bells if you want Gold - which I do.
The best after that would be Reyland kit but fitted with 330mm AP rotors. This is what I will do when the Reyland rotors (machined from Pagid blanks) wear out. The 330mm AP rotors are about £500, so too much to buy at the same time as the bells.

Last edited:
Exactly, I've only got a crappy tape measure to hand but about 10mm less thread in the hole. (I think the Godspeed kit mentions 9mm longer bolts so makes sense, esp given the discs are 18mm bigger).
Reyland say it's not a problem to use OE, but I kinda feel it wouldn't hurt to source some 9mm longer HT bolts. IMO they should really be supplied.

AP discs fit straight on, but the discs are 2mm smaller. You could never possibly notice it, and the strucutre of the discs (curved internal veins) means it will perform very well. But knowing i'd fitted smaller discs would just bug the **** out of me!

Ktec do 2. They resale the PF kit (330mm), and they have an OE size kit - which I believe is actually made by Hi Spec.

The 'best', are the PF kits. However, I have seen PF kits with poorly weathered bells after not much use. Also black is too boring, so you'd have to factor in re-anodising costs of the bells if you want Gold - which I do.
The best after that would be Reyland kit but fitted with 330mm AP rotors. This is what I will do when the Reyland rotors (machined from Pagid blanks) wear out. The 330mm AP rotors are about £500, so too much to buy at the same time as the bells.

Yes that makes sense dude. There is a place called 'trident racing' in silver stone that will sell the right bolts you need they are a great shop for motorsport grade bolts and parts. Try them for the longer bolts.

Does anyone have any info on the hi-spec kit then? Had their brakes before and they were decent enough.

I wouldn't bother looking at the ktec/hi specs, they're a basic straight vein rotor and standard size - so offer no performance benefits other than being a bit lighter from the 2-piece construction.

If I was buying standard size discs I'd save a ton of money and buy Brembo HC's.

IMO only worth going to 2-piece and spending some dosh if you're going 330's. PF is ~£750 and Reyland is £499. But going belt and braces maybe a bit extra cash on HT bolts for Reyland... we'll see. Reyland route also means you can get AP rotors as an upgrade later on, PF iirc has different bolt spacing. Nothing wrong with PF rotors mind, but you'll be stuck with black bells :wink:

If the price of the Cazan plus bolts sourced elsewhere, is still cheaper than the other options, I'd say do it... Those look insanely good! And if they perform as good as people say, then it's a no-brainer...

Gold Anodising is great as is blue black and purple but it is just decorative, great on motorbikes and even cars if they don't have to go through winters and generally get a hard life as it is not really durable. You get a process called hard anodising, which as it says is hard coating that is very durable. All AP stuff is hard anodised, even the brake calipers, they are then painted. Hard anodising only comes in dark grey, hence that is why high quality items come in dark grey. Give your yellow bells 2 years of 365 day driving and they will be pitted to f. If you want colour spray them with heat resistant paint. Job done. You don't see many crappy AP calipers and AP disc kits or AP mounting brackets. That is why they are more expensive.