AP Brakes discs for OEM calipers?

Gold Anodising is great as is blue black and purple but it is just decorative, great on motorbikes and even cars if they don't have to go through winters and generally get a hard life as it is not really durable. You get a process called hard anodising, which as it says is hard coating that is very durable. All AP stuff is hard anodised, even the brake calipers, they are then painted. Hard anodising only comes in dark grey, hence that is why high quality items come in dark grey. Give your yellow bells 2 years of 365 day driving and they will be pitted to f. If you want colour spray them with heat resistant paint. Job done. You don't see many crappy AP calipers and AP disc kits or AP mounting brackets. That is why they are more expensive.

Interesting, didn't know about hard anodising. Might be worth giving the bells a coat of clear VHT then. I was going to strip the rotors off and apply black anyway. I did this to my current discs and the finish is great, obvioulsy the pad surface contact clears the discs faces, but all the other areas have remained pretty decent. No bubbling of paint etc so easily upto the job.
Essentially the same as the Mtec black discs (which I am fitting to the rears too).

Pics of current set up dude?

Mine? Nope no pics mate, discs wise is just standard anyway front and rear. I just treated the non-contact areas to avoid the unsightly rust that appears in non contact areas. Not genuine Renault discs because from the images I have seen, the OE Renault items are painted from the factory in those areas.

Mine? Nope no pics mate, discs wise is just standard anyway front and rear. I just treated the non-contact areas to avoid the unsightly rust that appears in non contact areas. Not genuine Renault discs because from the images I have seen, the OE Renault items are painted from the factory in those areas.

Yes I hate those parts that rust too. Mine look ok but I guess they oem Renault parts then!

Thinking the Cazan discs may be the ones to go for its just tedious they are not supplies with bolts [emoji58]

Surely even OEM sized but two piece discs will still perform better than OEM single piece ones? Undecided were thee I can be assed with the calipers spacers...

So ultimately the cheapest set up is the 330 Cazan. Has anyone tried the Godspeed set up or know costs / have photos?

Surely even OEM sized but two piece discs will still perform better than OEM single piece ones? Undecided were thee I can be assed with the calipers spacers...

IMO you would only see any benefit if you used them on a race car. Doesn't stop me wanting some purely because they are pretty!

IMO you would only see any benefit if you used them on a race car. Doesn't stop me wanting some purely because they are pretty!

You know me well my man! I would like to try a track day in the Clio I think but in standard brakes I wouldn't feel confident. Don't want to bin my daily!!

You know me well my man! I would like to try a track day in the Clio I think but in standard brakes I wouldn't feel confident. Don't want to bin my daily!!

Never going to happen? Wouldnt feel confident with standard brake setup? Common buddy, you're not going to be pushing the limits of the clio on your first outing. Man up.

They don't stop me well enough on a 'private track' when hammering from say 100 to 30 hence my comment! It's common knowledge they're not amazing as standard. I know they good but there is room for improvement. I have done track days before just not in my Clio that's what I meant.

Pretty sure all the race series use the standard setup with fferodo pads? And the MK4 clio cup cars also use the old mk3 setup right?

Decent pads and fluid is the key, be under no illusion - I am mostly fitting 330's for the looks as I dont believe they will be 'that' much better. I have done track days with stock 312mm discs and the discs are not the area that needs improving. - very rarely is on any modern car.

Pads have to be selected to withstand the operating temp range you are intending, so on track this is why you need a different compound to road and proper track pads wont work when cold. Once you've got quality pads and fluid, only then look at the discs. It's all about striking the compromise between intended uses, I wouldn't look at anything less than DS2500's though or they will wilt on track.

Decent pads and fluid is the key, be under no illusion - I am mostly fitting 330's for the looks as I dont believe they will be 'that' much better. I have done track days with stock 312mm discs and the discs are not the area that needs improving. - very rarely is on any modern car.

Pads have to be selected to withstand the operating temp range you are intending, so on track this is why you need a different compound to road and proper track pads wont work when cold. Once you've got quality pads and fluid, only then look at the discs. It's all about striking the compromise between intended uses, I wouldn't look at anything less than DS2500's though or they will wilt on track.

Yes you are right pads are the thing that will make the most difference, then fluid and lines etc. However, I am a whore like you and love the look of the 2 piece ones! :smiley:

Found a pic of the Hi-Spec K-tech ones on another forum, the guy is impressed with their performance too:

brakes002.jpg

brakes001.jpg

brakes003.jpg

Sod that though, they are £10 more expensive than the Reylands. I'm not sure if I will bother getting the HT bolts - apparently they have a set on a dutch time attack car without issue. Reyland in general are not a name associated with bodging. I think I'll decide when I fit them. it's a 10min job later to replace 1 at a time if I do.

Also found that you can get a some sort of colour control on hard anodising, its like a dull gold/bronze - looks very boss! So I'm not going to clear VHT my bells, if they don't weather well - I'll get them hard anodised when I change the rotors for AP's. Then IMO thats the best kit on the market (bad ass looking bells, AP curved vein rotors, 330mm size)

Colour:
hard_anodising2.jpg

The bells are made by Reyland, the rotors are made by Reyland too, just machined from Pagid discs - so OE grade rotors but of course 330mm (of course along with weight saving and sweet looks).
For the money its a great kit and being drilled to AP bolt spacing gives lots of scope for rotors come replacement down the line. Jurys out on the HT bolts, for now assume it'll be fine, but it wont be bank busting to get some 9mm longer items.

(btw, im 99.9% certain it's AP bolt spacing!! 100% it is using AP bolts which is good)

Ah I see. So the rotors are made by pagid. And do Reyland actually manufacture the bells do you know? Reselling is not the same as actually manufacturing it, not being awkward just saying dude! When do you think you'll have them fitted? Get some pics up when you do they look great :smile:

I know how supply chains work :tongueout: As far as I have been led believe Reyland do manufacture (unless they outsource to a local machine shop of course), Cazan are obv just a reseller, but you get a better price from Cazan due to included delivery.

Fitting probably this coming weekend, I'll stick some images up when done.

Lol I didn't mean it like that, but some people say something is made by a company when in fact it isn't! A lot of companies use blanks sourced from someone like pagid for example, then just machine grooves into them - this is not the same as actually manufacturing them hence my comment! [emoji14][emoji16] I know of Reyland and their quality so these should be fine for purpose. Let's see them when you've got them fitted up then dude [emoji106][emoji41]