Anyone come from something much more powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, still looking at buying a 197/200 in the next couple of months, but just looking for opinions from other members who have come from something more powerful.

I'm currently driving a mk1 Focus RS running 327bhp and 548Nm, so the Clio will be quite a drop in power and torque, but hopefully should be just as much fun to drive.

I'm looking for anyone else who has come from something more powerful (or if you've come from a Focus RS that's even better), and what your opinions were when you first got into the Clio?

Thanks

Josh

I currently have a megane 265 trophy (current lap record holder for the ring by a FWD car) and a Clio 200 with cup chassis.

If i was after fun i would take the clio every day! Its not massively short on power you just need to use the rev range and not expect the car to go in 6th at 3,000rpm.

But then again thats what the clio is about, screaming round tight twisties at 7,250 rpm watching far more expensive metal getting smaller in your mirrors.

That's exactly the answer I wanted to hear!

I love my car and it's extremely quick in a straight line, but it's hard to drive consistently fast as it does struggle the put the power down out of bends, even with the diff..

I scared myself the other day going down a quiet country road....

...the handling is impressive (understatement)....and delivers power through and out the corners effortlessly...

Fun should be the Clio's middle name.

I have come from a v8 b7 Audi RS4 and also own a stage 1 Leon FR tfsi (260bhp/290lb-ft) and have to say that although the RS4 was sublime in so many ways I dont massively miss it (tax/ins/fuel) and although the Leon would leave the 197 for dead on the straights, you simply cant ignore the gokart like chassis that the Clio offers. Left a late 996 boxster S for dead round some country lanes the other day. And he was trying....had my window open so could hear him lol. The clio really does feel like its on rails (and not overweight + oversized-although the Clio 1*2 boys may disagree lol)

197's + 200's aint to be sniffed at...just really gotta keep them on the boil for major grins :smiley:

Last edited:
Excellent, it's looking as though I may not miss it too much then!

I do miss driving an N/A car, as I like keeping my cars high up the rev range and it's hard to do in the Focus as it feels as though it's going to pull you off the road :scared:

Don't get me wrong but you will at times think where is the power! But you look down and see you have 4,000 more revs to play with.

It's all top end or nothing but that's why it is soooooo good imo. You will struggle to find ANYTHING that will out handle it but there are plenty that will leave it at the lights if that's your thing. So don't be gutted if your into street light drag racing.

A 200 with cup chassis or 200 cup is a massive improvement in handing stakes over a 197 cupped or 197 cup.

The 200 pulls far better too but still has flat spots, nothing a remap won't iron out but you won't gain much in the HP stakes.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a rush out of the Clio, I harassed an E90 M3 down some twisties for a good couple of miles, I am not exactly lewis hamilton. He couldn't open much of a gap, completely different car I know, but I expect he was quite surprised to see me still in his rear view.

Sometimes I wish I had a faster car, because I don't like getting done off the lights, but at the end of the day, my car handles like a dream and I trust it on every corner.....

The only place it feels underpowered is on track.

Seriously, if it ever feels underpowered on any public road other than a motorway you are driving like a dangerous nob end.

jeremy clarkson made agood point recently about high performance cars and how you just cant use them to the limit in the UK. you either have a death wish or fancy some jail food.

i think you would miss the power because the only place in the uk you can enjoy a car is a quick controlled blast between traffic or on a trackday

The only place it feels underpowered is on track.

Seriously, if it ever feels underpowered on any public road other than a motorway you are driving like a dangerous nob end.

Hmm, I'm slightly concerned about this point, as I am keen on the odd track day :tongueout:

I'm just worried it may disappoint slightly on track..

Hmm, I'm slightly concerned about this point, as I am keen on the odd track day :tongueout:

I'm just worried it may disappoint slightly on track..

sounds like you are like me, after a trackday capable motor. your Focus must be quicker but also more expensive to run. is it about lap times or having a bit of fun in someting reliable that gives a bit of decent feedback with a good chassis?

sounds like you are like me, after a trackday capable motor. your Focus must be quicker but also more expensive to run. is it about lap times or having a bit of fun in someting reliable that gives a bit of decent feedback with a good chassis?

Not concerned about lap times really, just want something that I can have some fun in and not have to worry about something breaking all of the time.

I'll be honest, the Focus is stupidly quick, but where it's running big power and torque, so much stuff takes a beating. The clutch now needs replacing and the only one that's man enough to cope with the torque output is over £650 including the release bearing.

I just can't be bothered having to fork out so much money just to be able to drive it how I like...

I didnt do cars at first, I got my bike licence first so I came from bikes really.

My last one would do 60 in under 4s and hit 135mph if you could hold on, you know what I don't miss it at all. So much fun to be had in the Clio exploring the limits of holding cornering speed its hilarious on and off track.

The bike bored me in the end, nothing could compete and you had to be doing licence losing speeds for it to be fun as well I just never gained the knee down confidence on our roads. It was either going to lose me my licence at best or at worst...... well you can imagine.

I think everyone should experience a mk3 Clio on R888s sometime too, take the posted speed limit and stick cruise control on then only touch the wheel :smiley:

Last edited:
That's good to know as well. My RS is very similar, you have to be doing license losing speeds to REALLY have fun.

I think I'm going to have to see if any local 197/200 owners want to take me out in theirs so I can see how they perform in the real world :thumbsup:

That's good to know as well. My RS is very similar, you have to be doing license losing speeds to REALLY have fun.

I think I'm going to have to see if any local 197/200 owners want to take me out in theirs so I can see how they perform in the real world :thumbsup:

Where are you based?

Not concerned about lap times really, just want something that I can have some fun in and not have to worry about something breaking all of the time.

I'll be honest, the Focus is stupidly quick, but where it's running big power and torque, so much stuff takes a beating. The clutch now needs replacing and the only one that's man enough to cope with the torque output is over £650 including the release bearing.

I just can't be bothered having to fork out so much money just to be able to drive it how I like...

sounds like a clio will do the trick then. i'm after a 182 or 197/200 and either should be cheap to run on the track with tyres, pads etc and it wont be that stressed, tuned or expensive to maintain and run.
like i said on another thread just the 197/200 gearbox issues put me off. atm i'm looking more towards the 182.

I'm from Essex :smile:

Gearbox issue wouldn't bother me in the slightest tbh. A new gearbox for the Clio is cheaper than a clutch for my current car - I can live with that! I'm a mechanic too, so I'd change it myself :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.